Site Outage from 8/23-8/24

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Re: Site Outage from 8/23-8/24

Post by Bone White »

No worries Az, thanks for the updates and the commitment!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I just posted another Announcement. HostGator chose this past weekend to move our site to new hardware and our IP address has changed. That's causing people some frustration with DNS caches that are not expiring right away. That post has more information and a link to a temporary solution.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

This may be a silly question so I apologize in advance if it is. The gallery is used as a campaign repository and I'm willing to bet some frameworks make use of it. Is it possible we'd solve the gallery problems but still allow folks to get their stuff by removing the maptool resource index?
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Jtolman5
Kobold

Post by Jtolman5 »

So if they determined it was a Hardware issue, Can't the Gallery be returned to access without problems?

Is their any plan to open it again, at the very least so that People can recover maps they have placed there?

Thanks for your effort in getting things running smoothly again.

clippittee
Kobold

Post by clippittee »

I believe that this is working fine now when I checked this.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Please check the forum post date when responding to the entries. This one was from 2 years ago.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

clippittee wrote:I believe that this is working fine now when I checked this.
If the last response in a thread is more than 6 months old, chance are it's a dead/closed issue. Try not to bump these old threads unless it's relevant to a current issue.

But, as to the RPtools Gallery "working fine" now. There is no RPTools Gallery any more. So not sure what you were checking.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Full Bleed wrote:
clippittee wrote:I believe that this is working fine now when I checked this.
If the last response in a thread is more than 6 months old, chance are it's a dead/closed issue. Try not to bump these old threads unless it's relevant to a current issue.

But, as to the RPtools Gallery "working fine" now. There is no RPTools Gallery any more. So not sure what you were checking.

clippittee is a bot, we've banned it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:clippittee is a bot, we've banned it.
Not sure about that... If he is, it's a pretty "smart" bot. Responses are somewhat general... but topical enough.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 0&start=75

A bot that quotes only one line of text, then comes up with a subject relevant response?

Not sure what the point of that sort of bot would be. Bot are usually there to redirect traffic. Not seeing that here.

EDIT:

And what about this thread:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14132

The "bot" actually addressed the response to "Pillar" (capitalizing the original user's name from "pillar0faith") and leaving out "0faith". That's some pretty smart bot abbreviation.

Not saying that it couldn't be a bot... but that would be some pretty interesting/customized automated coding responses... yet not be smart enough to avoid responding to old threads that would "give it away".
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

let put it another way.

Either its a bot or its a human who in bursts of 2 or three posts necros unrelated posts at which (s)he posts shortly without adding value nor asking a question. Anyhoo, I believe Azh gave him/her/it the benefit of the doubt and unbanned the person.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:let put it another way.

Either its a bot or its a human who in bursts of 2 or three posts necros unrelated posts at which (s)he posts shortly without adding value nor asking a question. Anyhoo, I believe Azh gave him/her/it the benefit of the doubt and unbanned the person.
Well, all the posts seem to be responses to "technical" issues... having to do with old website/maptool bugs. The lack of follow-up, necromancy, and failure to ever mention *why* they are asking a question is very curious. It *could* be a novice forum user with a lack of forum etiquette... or it could be a targeted bot that searches for technical bug/issue-related buzz-words and provides single-line, topical responses (with a few misdirects like random quoting and auto-personalization). The problem I have with the bot theory is that I don't see the point unless it's just a low-level AI exercise in running a routine to appear "human".

*shrug*

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Maybe we should PM with a Turing test. :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Full Bleed wrote:The problem I have with the bot theory is that I don't see the point unless it's just a low-level AI exercise in running a routine to appear "human".
I thought the same thing. Perhaps this is just a test run to see how well his bot gets past the mods without the telltale sign of spam links. Also, if you can flood a site with enough posts and then update your signature with the spam links or just edit your saved list of posts then it would make it difficult on the mods to remove.

Jshock
Dragon

Post by Jshock »

aliasmask wrote:I thought the same thing. Perhaps this is just a test run to see how well his bot gets past the mods without the telltale sign of spam links. Also, if you can flood a site with enough posts and then update your signature with the spam links or just edit your saved list of posts then it would make it difficult on the mods to remove.
You think he's running a bot to amass forum cred? Do programmers that good have that kind of spare time?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Jshock wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I thought the same thing. Perhaps this is just a test run to see how well his bot gets past the mods without the telltale sign of spam links. Also, if you can flood a site with enough posts and then update your signature with the spam links or just edit your saved list of posts then it would make it difficult on the mods to remove.
You think he's running a bot to amass forum cred? Do programmers that good have that kind of spare time?
maybe hes testing

Return to “Announcements”