Can't Open Campaign - Memory Error

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Can't Open Campaign - Memory Error

Post by fredjsquirrel »

I'm very new to MapTool but I like it and I am sure it will work well for me.

I've been working on a new campaign and building macros for combat. I added the RPEdit Tokens so I could write my Macros in Notepad++ (I really don't like the internal editor, but hey it is free so no complaints).

I also added a new "Global Macros" token/library and used the runOnCampaignLoad (or whatever it is called) to register my macros on load.

Everything has been working perfectly and I was just in the process of setting up a few more things so that I am ready to use the Campaign at my next Game session, but now I can't open it.

The last thing I was doing was moving the PC tokens around the map to reveal the areas they had already opened. That was working fine until it suddenly started to hang and become unresponsive.

I tried closing out (and saving the campaign) but now I can't even get the Campaign to open. It just hangs for 3 or 4 minutes then I get the following errors:
error1.png
error1.png (30.65 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
When I close that dialog I get this:
error2.png
error2.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
I am assuming it is my campaign (I can create a new blank and open that no problem). But I have no idea how to get into the current file to try and fix it. Are there any tools I can use?

Thanks.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Can't Open Campaign - Memory Error

Post by wolph42 »

looks like a memory setting issue. couple of things:
1 can you share the campaign file? eg though dropbox
2 what are the memory settings you used
3 can you post your debug info here (its in the maptool menu, IIRC: help
4 alway make backups. best way is to save your campaign in dropbox, it has a repository function so you can always go back 1 or more versions.

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

wolph42 wrote:looks like a memory setting issue. couple of things:
1 can you share the campaign file? eg though dropbox
2 what are the memory settings you used
3 can you post your debug info here (its in the maptool menu, IIRC: help
4 alway make backups. best way is to save your campaign in dropbox, it has a repository function so you can always go back 1 or more versions.
Here is the content of the .bat file I use to start MapTools.

set VERS=1.3.b91
javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run

Here is the link to the shared campaign file:https://www.dropbox.com/s/wep71cvpflgxs ... cmpgn?dl=0
Hopefully that works.

Thanks for the advice on using Dropbox for versioning. I will definitely look into that. I wasn't aware it would do that.

If I can't get the entire campaign back hopefully I can at least get the global macros out (although I doubt that would be possible). Those are the part that would take me time to recreate.

Thank you for your help.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

your global macros are NOT stored in the campaign!! they are stored in your registry (assuming you're running windows).
Usually I strongly advise against the use of global macro (I still do) but in you're case it might have saved your bacon!

I had a quick look at the campaign file and i noticed that your content.xml file is a whopping 250Mb. So no wonder you're running out of mem. Interestingly enough, the file is not corrupted, so Im *really* curious what the hell you did. I'm trying to open it in np++ to check.
It indeed makes your file unloadable, though it might be possible on a pc with massive amount of mem.

edit: ok checked the xml and apparently is the '<exposedAreaMeta>' which screws things over. Now this is not really my cup of t, but I would guess that this has to do with exposed VBL (which can get massive). Should you be able to load then a simple ctrl+o (or ctrl+shift+o, not sure) resets that lot. Alas you can't.

edit2: I gave it a shot myself, here's your corrected campaign: https://www.dropbox.com/s/alprz9h8ux65u ... cmpgn?dl=0

Although the VBL layers was still there on the castle, I removed it cause that caused the issue. My advice is to apply one solid VBL layer and then cut out the pieces players can see. That has never failed me.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I haven't read thread, but you can't clear FOW meta data in 1.4. I suppose you could load in b91 and ctrl-shift-o to clear tokens, save then load 1.4 again. I sure wish that was fixed and a release was published.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:I haven't read thread, but you can't clear FOW meta data in 1.4.
I've submitted a fix to roll back to 1.3 functionality, its just waiting Craig's approval :)

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

Jagged wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I haven't read thread, but you can't clear FOW meta data in 1.4.
I've submitted a fix to roll back to 1.3 functionality, its just waiting Craig's approval :)
That is good news.

All this does explain exactly what happened to me. I didn't surround the entire map area with a View Block effect so when I was just running the PC Tokens around the entire map (a Ruined Castle if you are curious) it was opening the "Viewed" area out to the infinite horizon. Hence the reason the xml file was so massive.

Just to get a couple of points clarified.
1) When I said I was creating "Global" macro, I meant I created them as a Token Lib. This is the correct terminology right?
2) Assuming these macros are actually "Global" and they are available in the Registry, what is the key I should be looking for? I'm assuming it is something like, Current User->RPTools->????? . But if this isn't correct what should I be looking for?

Given that I can easily build a new campaign (I'll even block in the map area this time so I don't blow it up again.

Thanks.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:I haven't read thread, but you can't clear FOW meta data in 1.4. I suppose you could load in b91 and ctrl-shift-o to clear tokens, save then load 1.4 again. I sure wish that was fixed and a release was published.
Looking at the BAT file he's using I see that he was using 1.3b91.

Looks like you need to assign something like 4096 max mem to be able to open that file.

Then, do as Alias said, select the tokens and Ctrl-Shift-O to clear the token's vision.

I'd remove current VBL and do something like the attached picture. It's a very irregular map, so there it's more complicated to created really efficient VBL. I would definitely NOT use individual FoW with an irregular map.

Notice putting the hollow VBL box around the visible map. Economically using solid blocks and poly lines to get angles. Clean connections. I left the arrow slits uncovered, but you might not want to... you might want to cut them out as necessary (so connect the angles into V's). Looks like there are some curtains that might need to be covered, too... but since I don't know the specifics I left them out. Also, change your vision distance on the map to something like 120. Do these things and that map will be much more useable.
Attachments
Cragmaw VBL.jpg
Cragmaw VBL.jpg (290.65 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

as i've mentioned earlier, ive already fixed it for him. the link is in the earlier post. and no both upping and lowering the memory does not work (note that you need to lower the max mem and stack so the least memory is assigned per object and the most remains available, but even then no go. But then The vbl data in the campaign file was a whopping 230 mb!!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

wolph42 wrote:But then The vbl data in the campaign file was a whopping 230 mb!!
That seems impossibly high for a bunch of data points.

fredjsquirrel
Kobold

Post by fredjsquirrel »

wolph42 wrote:as i've mentioned earlier, ive already fixed it for him. the link is in the earlier post. and no both upping and lowering the memory does not work (note that you need to lower the max mem and stack so the least memory is assigned per object and the most remains available, but even then no go. But then The vbl data in the campaign file was a whopping 230 mb!!
Thank you everyone and especially wolph42 for fixing the map for me. That far more than I was hoping for.

I will take your advice on doing the visibility stuff for my next map.

Much appreciated.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:as i've mentioned earlier, ive already fixed it for him. the link is in the earlier post. and no both upping and lowering the memory does not work
Does not work how? Upping his max memory to 4gigs will absolutely allow him to open his original campaign file. I used a 4096 MAX, 64 Min, 4 stack to open it (in 1.3b91). The performance will still be awful, but it will open and then he could clear the stored vision parameters from the tokens (CTRL-SHIFT-O like Alias mentioned on the 3 to the top left.)

Further, I'd remove his current VBL, redo it something like my example, and set vision distance to 120. Performance is fine with my version.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Ok, then it doesn't open on my rig. Apparently to little mem. Redoing vbl is also something I advised. It didn't look very solid.

Return to “General Discussion”