Odd glitch with Maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Odd glitch with Maptool

Post by taustinoc »

There's been a lot of Widows updates the last couple of weeks. If it was video drivers, they may have updated automatically. Hopefully, they won't update further.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Now I'm having the same problem! I've updated the graphics drivers, made sure I only have java windows 64 (offline), cleared the .maptools cache, re-installed 1.4 latest. Then anytime I go to import new map, change windows locations inside MT, etc, it glitches.
Spoiler
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.5
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Johnny Desktop\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 97M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=C:\Users\Johnny Desktop\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101
Java Version: 1.8.0_101
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 10
OS Version.....: 10.0
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner\;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: Johnny Desktop
User Home: C:\Users\Johnny Desktop
User Dir.: C:\Users\Johnny Desktop\Documents\maptool-1.4.0.5

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)
Interface Name: wlan3
Address...: 192.168.1.64
Address...: 2001:56a:f531:f800:d5b5:eed2:bb40:e543
Address...: 2001:56a:f531:f800:b016:b0be:cc1f:33cd
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:d5b5:eed2:bb40:e543%wlan3

Host Address...: 192.168.1.64
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: Canada
Language: English
Locale..: English (Canada)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 3
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)
Display 2: 1920x1080(32)
Display 3: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: Actiontec T1200H GUI
Model Name..: T1200H
Manufacturer: Actiontec
Model Number: null
Model Desc..: (null)
Firmware....: Custom/1.0 UPnP/1.0 Proc/Ver
External IP.: 108.181.41.187
I haven't been using Maptools since about January of this year and I did purchase a new hard drive (2T Sata samsung) and moved everything there a few months ago. Dont know if that helps. This is a very frustrating problem as I have built a gaming table to begin face to face gaming this winter.
Spoiler
Tabletop2.jpg
Tabletop2.jpg (108.47 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Tabletop3.jpg
Tabletop3.jpg (42.6 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Tabletop1.jpg
Tabletop1.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Does this problem occur on previous versions on MT. If not, can you determine when the error occurs?

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

AM, I have tried it with a clean install of B91 with the same results. Testing Mote although that is most likely not going to tell us anything. As for when it occurs it's fairly random. So far it's happened before I load anything, after I load a campaign, after loading a NEW map, and when docking/undocking windows.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Try installing an older version of java 8 and see if that makes a difference. How big is the image you're using in MT. Some images are just too big for MT to handle. I usually don't go above 6000x4500px.

This is my current version: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 73-oth-JPR

Another thing occurred to me. How big is your asset cache. If you go to .maptool folder and right click assetcache and select properties it'll tell you size and number of files. Mine is about 1.5GB and 36K files (just for comparison).

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Ugh! Tried installing jre-8u73-windows-x64 as per AM advice. When I re-installed 1.4 and opened it the usual Java icon was no longer present and windows asked me what app I wanted to open this file with. I chose Java SE and nothing happened. I then used the Java uninstall tool and removed ALL versions of Java (which I had done before to try to correct the problem) then installed jre-8u101-windows-x64 (offline version). I then removed all maptool versions (b91 and 1.4) including zip files. I restarted my comp and downloaded 1.4 and opened it and its been about an hour with no glitches in graphics. I'll keep you posted. Pun intended! :P

P.S. A few hours later and still working :shock:

My cache was 133m and 30 files and my map is 2000p X 2000p

Edit-More than 24 hours later and still working.
Last edited by Sereptus on Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

And the glitch has come back. I am really really not sure what is causing this.

Edit:After restarting my computer it seems to work fine.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

Still working about a week later now. This will be my last update unless of course I have any more problems.

RevenantBob
Cave Troll

Post by RevenantBob »

I have a player seeing this same issue. I'm walking him through the uninstall/cleanup steps. Will post results.

They are using windows 10 as well.

Edit:

Purge of Maptool (And .maptool folder) as well as complete uninstall of all java versions (With java uninstall tool) with reinstall after reboot did not fix it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RevenantBob wrote:I have a player seeing this same issue. I'm walking him through the uninstall/cleanup steps. Will post results.

They are using windows 10 as well.

Edit:

Purge of Maptool (And .maptool folder) as well as complete uninstall of all java versions (With java uninstall tool) with reinstall after reboot did not fix it.
Have they updated their video drivers?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

My 'Glitch' is that panes overwrite each other, making my token unusable.

Tried updating to MapTools 1.4, cleared maptool registry, reloaded Java,etc but still problems persist.

Never had these issues before, but recently started hosting the server for some friends.

Wouldn't mind having the use of my token again.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul H

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Paul H wrote:My 'Glitch' is that panes overwrite each other, making my token unusable
What "panes"?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

The "Panes" are the Windows (Panes) that overlay each other. Campaign Traits, Initiative, Character Token, etc.

Using AMD Radeon 7560d graphics, Windows 10. Using latest driver according to AMD.

Thanks
Paul H

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Paul H wrote: The "Panes" are the Windows (Panes) that overlay each other. Campaign Traits, Initiative, Character Token, etc.
You're going to have to be more specific or show some screenshots. The terminology you're using doesn't help me understand whether your framework is overwriting custom dialog/frames (which would probably be a framework problem) or if you actually have a graphical issue with maptool itself (where something like the Selection, Impersonated, and Chat windows are not rendering properly).

What framework are you using?

Return to “MapTool”