chartool - nullPointer error - a partial fix

Discussion of your thoughts & requests, help for users and game specific configuration files for Character Tool

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei

bad_zod
Kobold

Post by bad_zod »

Hi,

I've been trying to use the rptools to setup a game and ran into the chartool error that seems to be effecting everyone these days.

I don't know who the main developer is but I've done some fixes so that it mostly works.

You need to overwrite the existing jar with this new one (remove the .txt extension first)

The parser code doesnt seem to be checking for nulls anywhere which is the issue but why it's getting them in the first place is a whole new issue.

It could be a problem with the javascript execution as that errors (property/propertyDescriptorSet.xml in d20fantasy.rpgame) but I dont know much about that yet ....

Enjoy

bz
Attachments
Addition.java.txt
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
parser-1.1.b23.jar.txt
(78.22 KiB) Downloaded 200 times

bad_zod
Kobold

Post by bad_zod »

Hi,

I've found a partial fix to this issue. I dont know why it's happening, the List param object has nulls in it which is causing the failures.

I think the javascript excutution failing (d20fantasy.rpgame file, propertyDescriptorSet.xml) might be the root cause ...

When I made changes to src/main/java/net/rptools/parser/function/impl/Addition.java and did additional checks for nulls it made chartool usable ...

Enjoy

BZ

bad_zod
Kobold

Re: chartool - nullPointer error - a partial fix

Post by bad_zod »

or the quickest way is to install java 1.6 then dont have any issues at all ....

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

The character tools was written in Java 6. I never tested on any other version.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

It would be great if Jay or a volunteer would port CharTool over to the GitHub repository and get it up to snuff with the latest version of Java.

/fingerscrossed
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

BZ, I sent you an emailed reply to your code submission asking for the stacktrace. If you have one, can you send it along? I don't run CT myself, so I'm not familiar with it at all. (I could try bringing it up to snuff for Java 8, but that's time that can't be spent somewhere else.)

But I'm willing to at least look at it and see what the options are.

Thanks.

Return to “CharacterTool”