Strange Java Crashing Issue

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
teesenpai
Kobold

Strange Java Crashing Issue

Post by teesenpai »

Hello, me and a friend have recently run into a problem with MapTools 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.4 that we can't seem to be able to fix. We searched all over the forums and couldn't find someone with a similar problem. The issue we're having is that two weeks ago, MapTools was working perfectly fine for us. Then, last Thursday, we found ourselves unable to stay in a server because Java SE Platform kept crashing. The only thing we could point out is that when too much messages are sent on the server, Java just stops working, but the amount of messages sent prior to a crash is never the same with each crash. We have tried downgrading Java versions, messing around with memory/stack sizes, clearing the MapTools cache, connecting as a GM, and running as administrator, but none of it has worked for us.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Strange Java Crashing Issue

Post by Jagged »

Okay, your first step is to post your debug information, which you should be able to find in the Maptool menu.

Then we will take a look :)

teesenpai2.0
Kobold

Post by teesenpai2.0 »

I messed up with my email. Whoopsies. Anywho, here's the debug info!:
Spoiler
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.0

MapTool Home...: C:\Users\User\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 3,630M
Max mem used...: 196M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101
Java Version: 1.8.0_101
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 10
OS Version.....: 10.0
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: User
User Home: C:\Users\User
User Dir.: C:\Users\User\Pictures\TS\NARC\maptool-1.4

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Interface Name: net7
Address...: 2001:0:9d38:6ab8:1037:1920:3f57:ffee
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:1037:1920:3f57:ffee%net7

Display Name..: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth5
Address...: 192.168.0.17
Address...: 2604:2d80:4010:e16f:55a4:33c1:42e6:d14d
Address...: 2604:2d80:4010:e16f:d520:c39c:5f4f:6706
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:55a4:33c1:42e6:d14d%eth5

Host Address...: 192.168.0.17
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
No IGDs Found!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I don't particularly think it is the cause of your problems but your Path variable does list a few different Java installs.

I would recommend cleaning those up if you can.

There is a more recent Java 8 than the one you have installed. So I would download the latest (making sure it's the 64 bit version) , remove the other versions, then install the latest.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:There is a more recent Java 8 than the one you have installed. So I would download the latest (making sure it's the 64 bit version) , remove the other versions, then install the latest.
I agree that they should remove old java versions... but Java 8 Update 101 is the latest release.

As to the OP's issue... it's hard to tell exactly because we're lacking clarity on the issue.

What does "Java SE Platform kept crashing" mean? We need specific error messages.

And I take it that this only happened with the server?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

teesenpai2.0
Kobold

Post by teesenpai2.0 »

I made sure to remove old Java versions when I was trying to downgrade. I'm unsure why they're showing up there because I can't even find them when scanning through my program files. As for what the error message means, it's a Windows error box that shows up, telling me that Java SE Platform Binary has stopped working. It's not an error message from MapTools itself. This only happens while connected to a server.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

teesenpai2.0 wrote:As for what the error message means, it's a Windows error box that shows up, telling me that Java SE Platform Binary has stopped working. It's not an error message from MapTools itself. This only happens while connected to a server.
As this issue is a significant outlier (in fact, I've never heard of this particular error as presented)... I would usually just assume that it was a bad Java install. But as you've already reinstalled, I have to think that there is something more particular to the system running the application that is the problem.

You could check to see if the computer could be restored to a point previous the having the issues (try to go back 4 weeks or so if you can). That might put the system in a state previous to some new software installs or updates.

Also, as it is something that crops up only when a server is running, I think I would start by updating and re-installing all drivers associated with the motherboard.

If you have the motherboard model number I could suggest what drivers, specifically, I'd update and provide links.

And then I'd follow up with a clean install of Java and MT.

As far as hardware goes, the network card could be going, or a memory stick, or some other component on the motherboard. This isn't the most likely possibility, but if you can't address the issue with software you will have to start looking at the hardware more closely. Can the server use a wifi connection or a different network controller to test?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

teesenpai2.0
Kobold

Post by teesenpai2.0 »

It's an ASUStek G751JT motherboard. If you could help with specifically pointing out updates, then that'd be great! I appreciate all the help I'm getting here. I'll try out the restore later tonight and see if it'll solve the issue.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

teesenpai2.0 wrote:It's an ASUStek G751JT motherboard. If you could help with specifically pointing out updates, then that'd be great!
So this is a gaming laptop? This one?

I'd update these drivers to start:

Chipset.
LAN.

And I'd go ahead and update the BIOS as well while I was at it:

Windows BIOS Flash Utility.
Bios Version 211 (data file to be used by the flash utility).

And, again, after doing all of those updates I'd uninstall Java and delete MT directory. Then reinstall both (java 64 first).

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Good advice.

When uninstalling Java, make sure you remove the various other Java directories mentioned in the path variable.

teesenpai2.0
Kobold

Post by teesenpai2.0 »

I updated those drivers and BIOS, and then deleted the pointed out directories before reinstalling Java. No dice still, sadly.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Perhaps try install 1.4.1.7 (our beta version)?

It'll install a stand-alone version of Java for you just for use by MT, if that still crashes then I would say you have something possibly corrupt at the OS level. Are you getting java error messages? When you say "crash", can you give us more details or post screenshot(s)?
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool 1.4”