Players can still see when I move NPCs during Fog of War

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Gideon
Kobold

Players can still see when I move NPCs during Fog of War

Post by Gideon »

The players can see from where and to where I am moving tokens during fog of war when there is not direct line of sight or even when players have never been in the section of the map where I am moving NPCs. Players do not see the tokens of the NPCs. Instead, when I click on an NPC to move it, they see that I am moving an NPC, the name of the NPC, and where I place the NPC. Once I have stopped moving the NPC, the players cannot see the token or any other information (unless line of sight is established). This give players information they should not have when fog of war is active. What do I need to do so that players cannot see the movements of NPCs when the NPCs are not in line of sight.

Thanks

Gideon
Kobold

Re: Players can still see when I move NPCs during Fog of War

Post by Gideon »

I am using version 1.4.0.5 for Windows, which I believe is the newest version. I am using a LAN server setting as I am using MapTools to augment live play.

I am very new to MapTools. I downloaded and learned about the software about a month ago. I know the basics only mainly from watching YouTube tutorials.

Thanks

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

It's fairly possible that it's a bug, but I need the server settings to be sure. I mean which checkboxes are set when you start a server?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I just tested it and it only happens if you have "Strict Token Ownership" off in the server settings.

If you want any sense of privacy always check that option on when starting your server. :)
-Jamz

Gideon
Kobold

Post by Gideon »

@ Wolph42 I selected what I would consider the default settings for the server. That is, I have selected "Players can reveal vision" and "Auto Reveal on Movement." I have also selected "Restricted Player Impersonation." No other settings are selected or used.

@JamzTheMan Would selecting "Strict Token Ownership" mean that only one person can control each token? Or can I select who controls which tokens? As the play is live, there are only two computers. My computer as GM and the computer the players use to move their pieces. So I need one computer to be able to move all of the players pieces. Is that possible with this option selected?

Thanks for the help, both of you.

Gideon

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Each client (pc) had a user name. Make sure that the tokens are 'owned' by that user. A token can have multiple users. You can also set ' owned by all '
These settings you can find in the token menu

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Gideon wrote:@ Wolph42 I selected what I would consider the default settings for the server. That is, I have selected "Players can reveal vision" and "Auto Reveal on Movement." I have also selected "Restricted Player Impersonation." No other settings are selected or used.

@JamzTheMan Would selecting "Strict Token Ownership" mean that only one person can control each token? Or can I select who controls which tokens? As the play is live, there are only two computers. My computer as GM and the computer the players use to move their pieces. So I need one computer to be able to move all of the players pieces. Is that possible with this option selected?

Thanks for the help, both of you.

Gideon

To elaborate on Wolf's reply, yes you can do what you ask (it's the exact setup I use to play!)

FYI: Restricted Player Impersonation actually allows players to control more tokens than you may want, I leave it off for my games. (It's confusing I know, we need to give the server settings a overhaul IMO)

Strict Token Ownership basically "enforces" ownership that is set on the ownership tab. Basically, for you, the GM (for your monsters/npc's) you can leave them all blank (GM's really have ownership to all tokens). This prevents players from seeing their vision, moving them, etc. For Players, you can either set All Players OR set them to a name that shows up (each client that connects will show up there.) Typically leave it as All Players, as if a client connects next week and the player changes his name....well guess what happens :)

Now, technically, PC's CAN control NPC tokens this way as well, just set the ownership to All Players or specific player. With MT 1.4.1.x+ you can dynamically see what tokens see by ownership/type. Here's a scenario of what might happen during my game:

PC tokens have "All Players" ownership, GM tokens have that unchecked

Scenario A
A Player goes invisible AND said player has his own laptop/client connected. I change his ownership from "All Players" to "Mike" and set "Visible to Owners Only". Bam, no meta-gaming. The players on the main screen no longer see him but Mike sees his token and moves about normally. Lets hope the Wizard tosses the Fireball in the right location!

Scenario B
The PC's rescue a Lawful Neutral inevitable that promises to assist them for the next 24 hours. I change the ownership to "All Players" and now they can move him about and see what he sees.
*Note: I COULD have also set him to PC, BUT in my instance, I have Pathfinder macros that hand out XP and do various other things based on PropertiesType and PC vs NPC. No need giving that NPC a share of the XP or Treasure!
*Also Note: With MT 1.4.1.x+ in this scenario, the 2nd monitor (PC view) could be changed to show vision for All owned tokens, PC owned tokens only or NPC owned tokens only. Useful when you have the NPC Mule token on the board and they need to move him about (so he needs vision) but they don't need to "see" what the mule sees, it's not like the mule is going to tell them he sees the assassin sneaking up around the corner...
-Jamz

Gideon
Kobold

Post by Gideon »

Thanks. The fix worked. I appreciate the help. My players really enjoy using a map during the game.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Glad to hear. You will find MapTool can affect character creation too (at least in my group it has). For instance, before MapTool, Race selection was pretty much "what stats bonuses to I want" but now DarkVision has become a rather important trait! :) 20 years of drawing maps by hand and "vision" never really got to play a real part other than "it's dark" or "it's not dark" lol
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”