Let player token pass throught VBL line?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dmmelkor
Giant

Let player token pass throught VBL line?

Post by dmmelkor »

Havent been using Maptools for a long time, but starting again.
How can i let a player token pass through a vbl line?
I'm running maptool as 2 instances: DM and player on the same laptop. In the player instance I want to move the token past the vbl line and then press ctrl-I to show the room.
I can do this with the dm instance, but i dont want to switch all the time or delete the vbl line so the player token can see through it and then move in.
Is there a setting is missed?
I hope that i made myself clear, because English is not my native language.
thx!

Using maptool 1.4.0.0, windows 10

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Let player token pass throught VBL line?

Post by JamzTheMan »

I don't think it's possible...

It sounds like you are using a single laptop with a single monitor then? Have you considered running just one instance of MT as GM and just toggle "Player View" when needed? It'll only show what the player see as normal but you are still a "GM" and can move tokens freely, ie, through vbl...
-Jamz

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

Solved.
I have a laptop and a 2nd monitor. It works when i run MT as a server and on the 2nd MT connecting as a GM and not as a player (as i did before). I put the 2nd instance of MT in player view and am good to go.
thx guys!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

That works as well.

Just a question though, why do you need to switch back and forth? Are you duplicating the screen vs extending your desktop? If you "extend" your desktop, you can just drag the second instance of MT (logged as a player) to the 2nd monitor, hit full screen, done. Leaving your laptop screen to run MT as a GM and moving all the tokens as needed?
-Jamz

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

JamzTheMan wrote:That works as well.

If you "extend" your desktop, you can just drag the second instance of MT (logged as a player) to the 2nd monitor, hit full screen, done. Leaving your laptop screen to run MT as a GM and moving all the tokens as needed?
This is what I do, but NOT as a player since the token cannot cross the vbl line (see OP) or i am missing something else. However, it can if log in as a DM and then use player view. Works well for me.
The "switching hassle" was only mentioned because i would like the mouse to stay on the second screen just to speed up moving, revealing and zooming.

I've been away for a few years, so i'm re-learning :) Nice to see all goes well with MT and you guys still doing a great job.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ah. i see now. FYI, under the tool menu you can enforce player view so as you move, zoom your gm view the player view matches. So you can do everything on the gm login, and the player login on the second screen should match.

It would just allow you to see better where you are moving tokens as a gm, but what ever works easier for you!
-Jamz

cas206
Kobold

Post by cas206 »

I second what Jamz said. That is how I do it. I have the 2nd USB connected screen facing the players with the player instance. I do all operations on my laptop screen in the GM instance. I set the enforce player view so the players screen follows along with where I scroll and zoom.

Token movement is handled by me on the GM screen and passing VBL isn't an issue.

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

Had a session last sunday and i was using the dm screen more then i expected. Using MT and Realm Works side by side. I'll try those suggestions next session. thx!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

#Tip Don't forget you can press <spacebar> while left clicking to show an Arrow on all clients. Useful for: "You hear a noise here..."
You can also press ctrl, alt, or shift I believe with spacebar as well for bubbles
-Jamz

dmmelkor
Giant

Post by dmmelkor »

Yeah, i found the blue arrow. Works well.

Return to “MapTool”