Memory issue??

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Krysis
Kobold

Memory issue??

Post by Krysis »

Hello, I have just begun to use Maptool but am having a problem where maptool copies itself over and over(attached file). This sometimes happens immediately and sometime after a couple hours.
I have tried to set min/max memory all the way up to 8000M and multiple stack sizes.
Currently tried 8000m max and stack size 4
Im running maptool 1.4.0.5 and Java 1.8.0_111
Ive tried looking the problem up but none of my fixes seems to work. I made a bat with:

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=8000M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.4.0.5

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run

but this doesnt seem to work either
please help
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (275.71 KiB) Viewed 927 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Memory issue??

Post by aliasmask »

I'd recommend 2048 for maxmem. You're problem is probably related to video drivers. You can try checking the Disable Direct3D Pipeline in the launcher under troubleshooting and if that doesn't work, uncheck it then check the Enable OpenGL Pipeline and see if either of those solves your problem. Also, make sure you have the latest 64bit version of java installed (It's a manually download from a zip file). Uninstalling java, restarting the computer and installing the new version usually works best.

Krysis
Kobold

Post by Krysis »

aliasmask wrote:I'd recommend 2048 for maxmem. You're problem is probably related to video drivers. You can try checking the Disable Direct3D Pipeline in the launcher under troubleshooting and if that doesn't work, uncheck it then check the Enable OpenGL Pipeline and see if either of those solves your problem. Also, make sure you have the latest 64bit version of java installed (It's a manually download from a zip file). Uninstalling java, restarting the computer and installing the new version usually works best.
Sorry, but i have no idea where to make these changes, complete rookie here. The troubleshooting tab of the launcher only has options for selecting the logging detail.
Also, I already made sure to install the 64bit java as that was on of my attempted fixes.
thank you

Krysis
Kobold

Post by Krysis »

Update
so i inserted this:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

into my bat file so ill see if this works out
thanks

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Krysis wrote:Update
so i inserted this:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

thanks
When running the MapTool launcher, checking that first box I mention is what this does. The launcher is much nicer than running a batch file.

Krysis
Kobold

Post by Krysis »

aliasmask wrote:
Krysis wrote:Update
so i inserted this:

-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

thanks
When running the MapTool launcher, checking that first box I mention is what this does. The launcher is much nicer than running a batch file.
I still dont see the option in the launcher, maybe I have an old one or something. Still only see options for logging detail under troubleshooting.
But anyway, the batch file fix seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Ah, I think you're correct. I'm using 1.4.1.7 which is a dev version. I thought that directX fix was an option from before. The dev version is available to everyone as well. I haven't had any real issues with it and it seem really stable. We've been gaming with it for the last 2 months.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26736

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Krysis wrote:
aliasmask wrote:I'd recommend 2048 for maxmem. You're problem is probably related to video drivers. You can try checking the Disable Direct3D Pipeline in the launcher under troubleshooting and if that doesn't work, uncheck it then check the Enable OpenGL Pipeline and see if either of those solves your problem. Also, make sure you have the latest 64bit version of java installed (It's a manually download from a zip file). Uninstalling java, restarting the computer and installing the new version usually works best.
Sorry, but i have no idea where to make these changes, complete rookie here. The troubleshooting tab of the launcher only has options for selecting the logging detail.
Also, I already made sure to install the 64bit java as that was on of my attempted fixes.
thank you
when you start Maptool usintg the launcherxxx.jar you get a small menu. On the advanced tab of that menu, you can set or unset those options. Let us know whether this is clear enough.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”