Windows 10, Java, and Maptools - can't launch MT

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Xaelvaen
Dragon

Windows 10, Java, and Maptools - can't launch MT

Post by Xaelvaen »

Longtime user, been absent for quite a while, and recently bought a Windows 10 machine.

At first download of 1.4.X, the JAR files were showing up as pdf files. Simple, right? I just tried to change their default association, but this freezes up my computer each time and it never actually completes the association. I've tried all three (java, javaw, javaws) to no avail (with both default, and 'open with' options). They simply don't launch, or freeze up my PC.

So, I poked around in the forums and someone recommended making sure to get javax64, despite java's website telling me 32 bit is recommended. Well, great news! The JARS are no longer associated to adobe acrobat, but rather completely unassociated. So I try 'open with' on all three of the javas - still to no avail.

Uninstall/reinstall some more - tried back to 32 bit. They associated to java by default! However, each time the error message popped up saying java couldn't open them for whatever reason. I'm honestly in the dark what to do at this point.

So, one more uninstall/reinstall later, and they are back to no association, and the open with (or properties > change association) are both freezing up my PC.

Can anyone help get this running? As I await a response, I will continue to try all the suggestions I can find in the forums, but nothing has worked yet. Thanks for your time.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Windows 10, Java, and Maptools - can't launch MT

Post by aliasmask »

If the .jar is currently unassociated, then the easiest way is to just remove all java apps, restart computer, then install the 64bit version. For good measure, delete the config.mt file created in the maptool folder before starting the launcher. Installing java should associate the .jar files, but if not, then you can browse to the folder C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_[version]\bin and select the javaw.exe. Actually, Windows should have adobe on it's list when asked what to associate the jar file with.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Between each uninstall, I completely deleted all the maptool downloads, including the .maptool folder. So I assume I get the config.mt in that process.
Installing java should associate the .jar files, but if not, then you can browse to the folder C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_[version]\bin and select the javaw.exe.
That part is what I've been trying every time. 90% of the occurances, it just freezes up my PC and after 5 - 10 minutes, nothing happens. The other 10% of the time it just makes the little busy wheel on my screen for 2 seconds, and nothing happens.

When it does actually associate to java, and java gives me an error, this is the error: Could not parse launch file. Error at line 1.

However, for perfect clarity and because I believe in due process, I will try your exact steps once again and repost. Thank you.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

1) Uninstalled all versions of Maptool, including the zip folders, and Java.
2) Restart PC
3) Installed latest Java x64
4) Downloaded Maptools 1.4.0.5, extracted to a proper folder.

The JAR is now associated automatically to java. However, clicking the launcher and maptools have the same effect - pointer turns to a blue wheel for 3 seconds then nothing happens. No error messages.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I had already tried 1.4.1.6 before this post - just downloaded .7.

.6 has the same results - automatically associated to java, loading wheel runs for 2 seconds, nothing happens.
Tried to use open with and specifically said javaw - same results.

.7 is now having same results as .0.5 and .1.6

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Woohoo - found a reference to a file called 'jarfix' in another post, and that did the trick.

https://johann.loefflmann.net/en/softwa ... l#Download

Thank you AM and Wolph for the assistance - just a silly WIN10 bug, seems a ton of people are having issues with .jar files.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:Thank you AM and Wolph for the assistance - just a silly WIN10 bug, seems a ton of people are having issues with .jar files.
It's not a Win10 bug. It's a problem with your PDF reader hijacking the .jar extension for some reason. We often see this with compression programs since the JAR file is a type of compression format. What reader was doing it?

If you run into the problem again after running the reader again you might have to use jarfix again (or remove that reader or make sure it won't associate with JAR files... probably somewhere in it's preferences).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Windows 10 does some odd, and frankly, stupid, things with default file type associations. And it can be very stubborn about it. I suspect the Jarfix guy knows how to fix it permanently, but it does make sense to keep his web site handy.

(If it happens again, I'd go make sure I had the most current version, because the most likely reason the file association would change again is an update to Windows.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

taustinoc wrote:Windows 10 does some odd, and frankly, stupid, things with default file type associations.
Citations? (With regard to it being a "windows" issue and not an issue with a particularly aggressive program hijacking an association type because it has some tertiary support for it.)

Can't say I've ever had a single problem with Windows 7-10 doing anything untoward with my associations.

That said, I try and keep my registry pretty clean using tools like CCleaner that remove old associations. And I pay attention to programs when I install them when they provide preferences regarding what files they will attempt to associate with (especially when they are programs with resident or start-up assets).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I found the tip on Microsoft windows 10 help, first and foremost. Secondly, Adobe acrobat is the only pdf reader I use (and thus what the file was originally associating to). My problem lied in the fact that even when the .jar -was- associating to java (happened after the 11 trillionth install), it still wasn't running. There are quite a few posts on Windows 10 help with people complaining about the same thing "I upgraded from 8 to 10 and now my .jar doesn't work" etc, so I could only assume it was a WIN10 thing.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:I found the tip on Microsoft windows 10 help, first and foremost. Secondly, Adobe acrobat is the only pdf reader I use (and thus what the file was originally associating to). My problem lied in the fact that even when the .jar -was- associating to java (happened after the 11 trillionth install), it still wasn't running. There are quite a few posts on Windows 10 help with people complaining about the same thing "I upgraded from 8 to 10 and now my .jar doesn't work" etc, so I could only assume it was a WIN10 thing.
My point is that for this to be a Windows 10 bug you'd have to show indication of it someone purposefully or randomly *giving* the JAR association to Adobe Acrobat. There is no indication of that. That means that Acrobat had to take it. And that's, apparently, not unheard of:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1156228

When "typical" fixes for miss/re-associations are not holding, then something else is almost always amiss.

The program you used to FIX the issue even spells it out:
JarFix wrote: The root cause for the problem above is, that a program has stolen the .jar association.
That's the issue that JarFix is correcting. It's not fixing a Windows 10 bug.

At any rate, this behaviour is atypical. Given the the popularity of Acrobat (and Win 10) we'd be seeing reports of this all the time. We aren't.

But, as mentioned, if Acrobat takes the association again (possibly with an update or a potential re-install should you need it) I'd look for a more permanent solution than the jarfix method. Like uninstalling Acrobat, running a registry cleaner, reinstalling Java, then reinstalling Acrobat (and checking its preferences on install to make sure it never attempt to take the association to begin with).

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

That's actually quite interesting. Some of those folk claim they changed nothing but to update to Windows 10, and suddenly it stopped working (on the Microsoft help forums) - perhaps the operating system is what allows the other programs to do the stealing or some such (or those other people are lying - always a possibility lol).

Anywho, thanks for the insight there - I'll try cleaning the registry if it ever shows back up. So far, it hasn't - though acrobat hasn't updated, either.

Return to “MapTool 1.4”