Unwanted Token Facing Indicators

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
OpusAndi
Kobold

Unwanted Token Facing Indicators

Post by OpusAndi »

I want to be able to display the yellow token facing arrow on my PC and NPC's but want to disable display on tokens I use for mapping such as the Infinity Dungeon which are generally placed on the object and background layers.

Is this an easy setting I am missing?
" Imagination is the testing ground of reality.
MapTool is a canvas. "
- Thank you RPTools
[ OpusAndi: testing ( idea ) ]
current engines: MapTool 1.4.1.7 & MapTool 1.4.3.3 Nerps

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Unwanted Token Facing Indicators

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yep! Just change the token "Shape" to "Top Down" under the Config tab when you edit the token.

Also, under Preferences, make sure you don't have "Force Token Facing Arrow" checked.
-Jamz

OpusAndi
Kobold

Post by OpusAndi »

Thank you Jamz.

I did have the "Force Token Facing Arrow" checked.
" Imagination is the testing ground of reality.
MapTool is a canvas. "
- Thank you RPTools
[ OpusAndi: testing ( idea ) ]
current engines: MapTool 1.4.1.7 & MapTool 1.4.3.3 Nerps

uthin
Kobold

Post by uthin »

I have noticed that:

(Condition 1) - if a token's shape is Circle or Square
(Condition 2) - if "Tokens/Force Token Facing Arrow" is unchecked
(Condition 3) - and if "Facing/On Edges" and "Facing/On Vertices" are unchecked

- then (Condition 4) if you hold down shift and use the scroll wheel, then the facing arrow appears in the default position (north?). You cannot make it move by changing facing, and you can remove it by right-clicking the token and selecting "Clear Facing". But the next time you shift-scrollwheel it reappears.

I have an old MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5. I usually play using v 1.3b91, and I have witnessed the behavior in this version. I have most recently tried version 1.4.1.7, and the behavior is still there.

As a - shall we say hobby java programmer - I have joined GitHub, and forked and looked into the code, and finally tried to fix the bug. (*If* this is a bug and not intentional behavior.)

I did a small change to net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.zone -> ZoneRenderer.java, and compiled and ran. The change appeared to give the expected behavior: Circle and Square shape tokens no longer got the default/north facing arrow when the above four conditions were true.

So, is this a bug for which I need to create a pull request, or is this intended behavior?
Or is there some (other) setting which I am missing?

/uthin

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I don't believe that's expected behavior, so yes, please create a pull request. Thanks!

I know that over the years (yikes!), the use of tokens has changed quite a bit. At first, the top down tokens had facing but others didn't. Then someone decided that wasn't fair to the round and square tokens, but it shouldn't be the default. And then... it just kinda mushroomed. :roll:

I'll get it merged as soon as I look at it and make sure it's the right kind of fix. That whole mouse event system is messed up, IMO. It's impossible to use on a Mac without a physical mouse and I've mostly ignored it because I use a physical mouse on my Mac. But it needs a wholesale cleanup...

uthin
Kobold

Post by uthin »

Pull request created. I hope. Never did such a thing before. :P

Yep, awkward to use MapTool without a mouse on a Mac. If it is easier on a PC, I haven't discovered it. We use a mouse on both platforms. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yep, I see it. I'll take a look at the code on Sunday. Thanks!

Return to “MapTool”