Consistent Crashing -lack of memory?-

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
sabanknight
Kobold

Consistent Crashing -lack of memory?-

Post by sabanknight »

Hey, starting to get fed up with recent developments. Over the last 6 months I have been experiencing a lot of bugs with maptools. For one the launcher does not seem to work. The buttons do not take me anywhere or the launcher disapears and never launches maptools. I have tried various 1.3 versions and hoped trying 1.4 and 1.4.05 would prove fruitful. Unfortunately I still run into a lot of the same issues. Most seem to stem from crashes regarding available memory. I have 16gb ram so space should not be an issue. Since I cannot use the launcher I went right into the MT file expanding the max to 2048. While using Maptools the bottom right corner gauge of used memory seems to cap out at 240 or somewhere in that area, and I will start encountering freezes, in attempts to save it either becomes unresponsive (even before clicking save/save as) or crashes. I've been using MT for years and these issues are making me consider using another program. Any help would be appreciated.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Consistent Crashing -lack of memory?-

Post by aliasmask »

I recommend removing all versions of java, then restart your computer. Download the 64bit version of java (manual download). I recommend the latest version of MT although the dev version works great (1.4.1.7) under the Announcements forum.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

"The launcher doesn't work" is pretty consistent with "64 bit Windows with 32 bit Java." Unless you made a point of going to the "Not the right operating system? See all Java downloads." link, you got 32 bit Java. (You can test this by setting the max memory to 1024 MB. If it works then, that's the problem.)

As aliasmask says, the best first step is to uninstall all Java, reboot, then install 64 bit Java from https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. Also wouldn't hurt to remove all trace of MapTool and reinstall that, too, from fresh downloads.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

sabanknight wrote:Since I cannot use the launcher I went right into the MT file expanding the max to 2048. While using Maptools the bottom right corner gauge of used memory seems to cap out at 240 or somewhere in that area
As noted, you aren't actually using 2048. You're using the default (256).

If following the instructions above don't help you, share your MT Debug (Help/Gather Debug) so we can verify what's going on and step you through proper launching.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I suggest downloading 1.4.1.7 and give it a try. It should help you with all your configuration issues...
-Jamz

sabanknight
Kobold

Post by sabanknight »

aliasmask wrote:I recommend removing all versions of java, then restart your computer. Download the 64bit version of java (manual download). I recommend the latest version of MT although the dev version works great (1.4.1.7) under the Announcements forum.
This actually solved it. I think I had a old old version of java in there with the newer one. I appreciate everyone's help

Return to “MapTool”