High Memory Usage

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Splorf
Kobold

High Memory Usage

Post by Splorf »

Hey guys i've just started using maptools a few weeks ago, big fun.
But i ran into a weird problem.
Im constantly at almost max of my memory. Even when i just start a new map it jumps to 800-900mb. for just the background? not even texture even just pure black and its using up so much memory. Am i forgetting something? I cant seem to fine a maximum size for the map so i can liek zoom out infinitley. cant i set a maximum amount or something? or is that problem something else? helps me pls :3

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: High Memory Usage

Post by aliasmask »

That's usually not a problem because it will cache images to speed things up and then trash things and reload them. But, you could increase your max memory to 2048 or higher if you have a 64bit system AND installed the 64bit version of java. The default install of java will not do. You have to click the link for other version to get to the 64bit install. You can increase the max mem in the launcher. I recommend 2048 max, 64 min and 4 stack.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Remember there are other memory uses like cache for thumbnails and the like. And Java only garbage collects when it needs to. I wouldn't worry much about it unless you get errors.
-Jamz

Splorf
Kobold

Post by Splorf »

Yes i only ask here because i run into problems with this. it hits the max and then crashes.
i have been playing around and yea its thumbnails from the library that takes up rediculous amounts of memory, also going fullscreen/ maximized window.
So i finished working on my latest map with a small window and closling the library constantly. as i was afraid of crashes that ruin my work.
i guess ill try the 2k max memory and see if thatll help but to me it just seems like it'll pile on memory till it crashes again.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Be sure to be using the latest version or the dev version (announcements) and run the launcher rather than the maptool.jar file.

Return to “MapTool”