I can't open my cmpgn file in maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Marno
Kobold

I can't open my cmpgn file in maptool

Post by Marno »

Hello, after 5 day of work in my campaign on maptool without problem, today when I want open the campaign I have an error message :

(the frenchs words says : "error. The campaign cannot to be load)

My campaign and my 5 day is lost or there is a solution ? Thanks a lot if you can help me.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: I can't open my cmpgn file in maptool

Post by wolph42 »

o dear...did you backup? from your post I'm gathering you didn't...
you might be lucky still (small chance if you didn't do too much with MT after you noticed this issue). In the .maptool directory there is an autosave and a backup directory. Check that as well.

if that fails you can try to use a zip repair tool (as a .cmpgn file is actually a .zip). Rename the file to .zip and try that.

the issue lies with java which sometimes acts fickle and can result in a corrupt save. I personally always you dropbox to store my files as it has a repository so you can easily switch back to the last save. Next to that I also create backups.

note that this is VERY rare to happen, but we do have occasionally a post like yours with this issue. The actual cause is unknown.

you can also try to open the file in an older/newer version of MT.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

Thanks for the answer, if I understant I'm unlucky.

I don't understand where I can found the autosave.

I try to rename the file.

ps : Now I would always create a new save, at least I would have backup.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:The actual cause is unknown.
I believe the vast majority of cases are because of low memory.

Marno, what memory settings are you using?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Marno wrote:I don't understand where I can found the autosave.
the saves can be found in the user directory...which vastly depends on the OS. In Win7
c:\users\username\.maptool
I believe the vast majority of cases are because of low memory.
that is new to me.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

I use the default memory, but it may be that because I make a dungeon with 9 level and lot of object/pnj. I don't know what setting I can set nor what setting my pc on which maptool is mainly used can support. He have 4go of RAM, an intel core I3 2,4 Ghz and 34mo of video memory (cause a chipset)

I found a backup, I recovered almost four level, Including one of the largest. Thanks to help me to found it !

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Default mem is too low. If you have win x64 bits installed them also grab the x64 download for java (default is x32). With that you can set max mem to 2048. Which should be enough for most instances.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

Ok thanks, I don't know the default java is 32 bits. Should I also change the java stack size ?

edit : I have java 64 bit by default, I don't know how. I put max memory to 2048 but I can't open my file. I guess I make my dungeon in twoo files now, for security^^

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Marno wrote:Ok thanks, I don't know the default java is 32 bits. Should I also change the java stack size ?
Max 2048
Min 64
Stack 4
edit : I have java 64 bit by default, I don't know how.
That's good news.
I put max memory to 2048 but I can't open my file.
It's already corrupted. Raising the memory now won't fix the problem. Maptool spikes memory usage when you load and save a file. I believe it's when those spikes happen, and they exceed set parameters, that we're most likely to see file corruption.

If you want, please share the broken campaign file here and we can see if it's fixable. It's probably not, but it's not unheard of.

Also, please share your Gather debug text. You get it under Help>Gather Debug Information
I guess I make my dungeon in twoo files now, for security^^
You don't have to do that. Just save the file with a new name after you've played a game or done new work on it so that you have multiple copies of the campaign file should something happen to the latest version.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

Ok, I understand.

There is my campaign files and the Gather Debug Information : https://www.catupload.com/download/77d1 ... b94d9.html

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Marno wrote:Ok thanks, I don't know the default java is 32 bits. Should I also change the java stack size ?

edit : I have java 64 bit by default, I don't know how. I put max memory to 2048 but I can't open my file. I guess I make my dungeon in twoo files now, for security^^
Use Dropbox(or something similar). Files you place there are saved to the cloud and each change is kept seperate so you have version control and can restore from a previous version(with limited number of revisions saved for each file). This has the added benefit of being available from any machine that would run Maptool(if you leave your machine home and are somewhere else and want to work on your campaign) and most importantly, if you HD crashes, you can restore.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Marno wrote:There is my campaign files and the Gather Debug Information : https://www.catupload.com/download/77d1 ... b94d9.html
The campaign file was recoverable.

There may be some errors.
Attachments
recovered_Exploration Donjon de naheulbeuk - Copy.cmpgn
(4.54 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by Full Bleed on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

Full Bleed wrote:
Marno wrote:There is my campaign files and the Gather Debug Information : https://www.catupload.com/download/77d1 ... b94d9.html
The campaign file was recoverable.

There may be some errors.
You save me men ! The errors come from me, a technical concern or a bad configuration of maptool ?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Marno wrote:You save me men ! The errors come from me, a technical concern or a bad configuration of maptool ?
You will see some RED X's. Those images were corrupted and the repair could not fix them.

On each map, open the Window>Map Explorer and DELETE the red X's (those are corrupted graphics). You will need to replace them with new images.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

Full Bleed wrote:
Marno wrote:You save me men ! The errors come from me, a technical concern or a bad configuration of maptool ?
You will see some RED X's. Those images were corrupted and the repair could not fix them.

On each map, open the Window>Map Explorer and DELETE the red X's (those are corrupted graphics). You will need to replace them with new images.
Ah ok, I understand. There is no error, any image are good.

Return to “MapTool”