Windows Homegroup and Maptool CMPGN files

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
ziltmilt
Dragon

Windows Homegroup and Maptool CMPGN files

Post by ziltmilt »

I ran into an interesting problem today. I've got a laptop and a desktop PC both in a Homegroup, which I guess is Windows simplified way to set up a home network.

I've got a Maptool campaign file on my desktop, and I've enabled file & folder sharing so that my laptop can navigate to the proper folder, but lo and behold, it doesn't see the CMPGN file. I know it's definitely there. Anyone else ran into this?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Windows Homegroup and Maptool CMPGN files

Post by jfrazierjr »

ziltmilt wrote:I ran into an interesting problem today. I've got a laptop and a desktop PC both in a Homegroup, which I guess is Windows simplified way to set up a home network.

I've got a Maptool campaign file on my desktop, and I've enabled file & folder sharing so that my laptop can navigate to the proper folder, but lo and behold, it doesn't see the CMPGN file. I know it's definitely there. Anyone else ran into this?
Is it a LIBRARY? IIRC, older versions of Java don't understand Libraries. I think this is fixed in java 7+. This is the default location which contains My Documents, My Pictures, etc from Windows 7 and higher. Second, from what I recall, older versions of java don't resolve symbolic links on windows(which Libraries may be an implementation of).

Best answer if you want to share stuff, pick a dedicated cloud solution such as Dropbox. I have used that for years and there is no OS specific magic going on, so it it just works.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

You're asking if my folder is a library? No, it's just a folder on my PC. I get what you're saying about OS dependent magic. Even though the 2 computers have different versions of Windows (7 and 10), it's beyond ridiculous that it's so difficult to share information between 2 machines in the same house!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

ziltmilt wrote:You're asking if my folder is a library? No, it's just a folder on my PC. I get what you're saying about OS dependent magic. Even though the 2 computers have different versions of Windows (7 and 10), it's beyond ridiculous that it's so difficult to share information between 2 machines in the same house!
Welcome to the world of OS bs.

Just get dropbox and you have(important to me) the added benefit from accessing from any machine with an internet connection and browser AND version control.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

I am curious about one thing, regarding Dropbox. Do you ever run into problems trying to save while it's synchronizing? I do, occasionally, with Google Drive, which locks files it's synching, and MapTool will not save after that until I close Drive entirely. I don't recall ever having any file corruption issues, but it's something I have to keep in mind.

Return to “MapTool”