Auto reveal fog of war without snap to grip

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Marno
Kobold

Auto reveal fog of war without snap to grip

Post by Marno »

Hello, I have a question. I use maptool for a map guide for my player for physical role-playing. In the campaign I am doing my players explore a dungeon so the fog of war and the vbl is very important for me.

What I would like to do is the fog of war auto reveal when the token of my player move. I know it's possible when we active snap to grid but my maps are not compatible with the different grid, my players often find themselves in the walls.

I see in the forum the existence of a tool name onTokenMove. I make search on this and I try it but its not work, I have an error message say me I have not the permission to modify fog of war.

How can I reveal the fog of war automatically without snap to grip, it is possible ?

ps : I use 1.4.0.5 version.
pps : if you don't understant tell me, I'm not good in english so there may be language mistakes.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Auto reveal fog of war without snap to grip

Post by JamzTheMan »

This should be possible. I'm assuming the following:

1. MapTool grid is square
2. Server started with Players can reveal FoW
3. Token has snapToGrid off

I just tested this and FoW is revealed as normal for the PC token. If this doesn't work for you, please give us the settings you are using for the Map & Server & Token.

PS When you say your maps are not compatible with the different grid, can you elaborate more? I may be able to help if you mean the maps have a grid on them and they don't align with MapTool's grid, there are several ways to fix that.
-Jamz

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

I test this tomorrow, thanks.

The grid is not compatible because my maps have many diagonal so it's not easy to fix a grid.

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

It's not work. What option do you want to know ? I launch the server with "player can reveal fow" and "auto reveal fow".

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

have you considered just fixing the maps? Are these premade maps from some company? If so, just redraw them a bit enough so that it works with grids. OR, just draw your VBL a bit wider than the walls so they see some of the walls and thus it almost always bysects the "majority" of a grid square which will allow normal VBL to work.

The only case this won't work is when you have some rooms that are paper thin walls AND diagonal.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Marno
Kobold

Post by Marno »

It's a map from a popular licence in france. The problem would come from the fact that the tokens will go into a wall or into a secret room rather than stay in the corridor, I have already tried. That's why I ask if it's possible without snap to grid.

If it's not possible I push "ctr+I" every time I move token.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Marno wrote:It's a map from a popular licence in france. The problem would come from the fact that the tokens will go into a wall or into a secret room rather than stay in the corridor, I have already tried. That's why I ask if it's possible without snap to grid.

If it's not possible I push "ctr+I" every time I move token.
Check posts by myself and/or talk to Wolph42. It's really sad that I wrote the java code for onTokenMove 4-5 years ago, but really don't know much about how the darned macro parts work together. Basically, I did the java code in a test build and Wolph42(and AliasMask and perhaps 1-2 others game me some feedback as I tweaked the java code and rebuilt).

In theory, it should be possible, it will reveal at (using another macro command for revealVBL.... no sure of the name of the macro!) inside the onTokenMove "event" ONLY at the end point of the movement and POSSIBLY at each waypoint created(but I am not 100% sure). I seem to think I originally said "snap to grid is required", but I might have changed that along the way during the feature development.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”