How do I write this custom sight?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Dachimotsu
Kobold

How do I write this custom sight?

Post by Dachimotsu »

I want to make a custom sight that functions like D&D 5e's Darkvision. Typically, Darkvision lets you see in dim light as though it were bright (up to 60 ft.) and darkness as though it were dim. So, I want a 60-ft. darkvision radius that also extends beyond it to reveal fog-of-war, but keep it dim (similar to how most light sources work). The dim extension should reach the map's maximum vision distance.

Is this even possible?

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: How do I write this custom sight?

Post by metatheurgist »

Heh, we were just grappling with this one in my group.

MT vision works more around "Can you see it or not". Not "How bright is it?". There are no settings for levels of light for vision, only illumination.

Though one of the devs has a custom MT where he has things like working darkness fields that actually cancel prevailing light conditions so it should be doable. But I think it would need to be built into MT.

We're faking it by using light sources instead of vision, it's not a perfect solution since vision isn't supposed to illuminate the map.

Return to “MapTool”