Do the number of token properties impact performance?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Zandel
Giant

Do the number of token properties impact performance?

Post by Zandel »

Working on my own Pathfinder Framework, there are sooo many bonus types, just for skills alone, I will need over 300 properties. Just wondering if I put them all in if I am risking bloating the framework to the point of causing issues. MapTool Version: 1.3.b91

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Do the number of token properties impact performance?

Post by aliasmask »

300 is not that bad, but I would recommend grouping them and putting them in either json or string property format for ease of readability and portability. Not everything has to be a "visible" token property. You can define "hidden" properties, those not defined in the token type by simply using setProperty in a macro.

Zandel
Giant

Post by Zandel »

Yes, I plan on doing that, though you have to be careful with hidden properties because you can't give them a default value. I have to have an initialize token macro, to initialize all of the hidden properties each time I drag a new token in.

Zandel
Giant

Post by Zandel »

That was a very informative read thank you!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Zandel wrote:Yes, I plan on doing that, though you have to be careful with hidden properties because you can't give them a default value. I have to have an initialize token macro, to initialize all of the hidden properties each time I drag a new token in.
Well, sort of. You could have a property that will initialize it the first time you mouse over the token.

Return to “MapTool”