Bag of Tricks and Teleport Macro Help

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
SzassT
Cave Troll

Bag of Tricks and Teleport Macro Help

Post by SzassT »

I've been using MapTools for quite some time now, but without macros. On several occasions, I've tried to utilize Wolph42's Bag of Tricks, but never with any success. I continuously get Overflow errors when trying, even on new campaigns. I currently have MapTools set to Max 6144/Min 1024/Stack 12. I know those settings may seem a bit extreme, but there have been several times I've needed to raise it in the past and I've had no problems outside of the BoT Macros. Additionally, my friends and I play on the same network (I use a computer, we have a big screen setup for everyone to view and laptops to go around, all x64 gaming rigs with 150mb down internet connection, so the settings aren't too high for anyone in the group). I would like to be able to use the BoT Macros primarily for the teleport pads (to move through floors of dungeons, decks of ships, etc...). I could do without all the other macros (at least for now). So, my questions boil down to the following:

1) Could someone provide me with the macro necessary to teleport a token from one location of a map to another location of the same map whenever the token lands on the designated spot (the pad)?
2) If not, could someone give me an idiot proof step-by-step guide that is not a video for initializing Wolph42's Bag of Tricks and utilizing the Teleport functions?
3) Is it possible to implement Wolph42's Bag of Tricks into an active Campaign or would I have to export/import all the maps from my current campaign into a new campaign?

I appreciate any help provided and patients. I did search for forums for help with the Stack Overflow errors and Teleport macro. For the Stack Overflow, I couldn't make sense of a lot of the suggestions for fixes and attempted others to no avail, while for the Teleport Macro, I looked through around 40 pages without much luck and gave up, so it is very possible I missed something on either and I apologize if I did. If that is the case, please let me know and I will renew my search, thank you!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Bag of Tricks and Teleport Macro Help

Post by wolph42 »

I'm on my phone so I keep it short for now. The overflow errors you get are stack overflow errors I presume. This means you have a faulty install of MT. Which version of mt are you using?

Teleporting tokens is not that hard, but setting it up the way it's done in the bot is. However to get the basics of the bot running you only need to follow the first steps of the bot post. With that to van already use the teleport function....but not with a faulty install of MT...

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm using Maptools 1.4.0.5

Yes, you are correct about the error types.

How would I go about fixing a faulty install of MapTools and what may have caused it?

Would you be willing to explain to me a simple teleport macro?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Stack 12 is higher than usually recommended, isn't it?

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

The default for MapTools Stack Size is 2, but java is traditionally 1. The wiki doesn't list a recommended size, just confirms that 2 is the default. Several frameworks require higher. There is an Earthdawn Framework that requires 8, a 4th Edition Framework that requires 10, etc. Generally, you shouldn't alter it if you don't need to, but so long as your system can handle it, it shouldn't matter how high you set it.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I usually recommend stack size of 4 as that covers nearly every framework out there. The problem you have is that the stack size is not set (regardless of what you enter) which means its always 1 which leads to the stack overflows. As long as you can't raise the stack properly you will be stuck to very simple macros as too long macros will crash.
The simplest fix is to first test another build, I would recommend the latest dev build found here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26736
this has a java wrapper so a seperate java download is no longer required and it prevents a lot of stuff going wrong doing install (but its still not fool proof!).

The cause of the error...usually java. The thorough way of doing this is to remove MT and ALL java installs. Then download java x64 edition (which is NOT the default) install it and then install MT again (whith a couple of pc reboots in between).
https://www.java.com/nl/download/manual.jsp

A simple teleport macro is:

Code: Select all

[id = getSelected()]
[assert(listCount(id)==1,"Make sure (only) one token is selected",0)]
[input("map||give map name","x|0|give X coord","y|0|give Y coord")]
[moveTokenToMap(id, map, x, y, 0)]

the simpler you want to make it for the end user, the more complex the macro gets...(which eventually leads to a stack overflow if it remains on 1).

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

Thank you for all your help Wolph. Before I go about doing a clean install of Java and MT and switching builds, would you happen to know if I will be able to reload my campaigns, properties, etc... in the newer build without any problems with the maps, tokens, and vision blockers? I don't mind losing macros, I only have a few and they are simple enough to rewrite, but I have several massive maps that are in use, including one that has taken me around 40 hours to setup.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

SzassT wrote:Thank you for all your help Wolph. Before I go about doing a clean install of Java and MT and switching builds, would you happen to know if I will be able to reload my campaigns, properties, etc... in the newer build without any problems with the maps, tokens, and vision blockers? I don't mind losing macros, I only have a few and they are simple enough to rewrite, but I have several massive maps that are in use, including one that has taken me around 40 hours to setup.
Make a copy of your campaign. In most cases, a campaign file will work when changing versions of Maptool(note the word MOST). The issue usually is after you save the campaign in the new version, you may or may NOT be able to go back(depending on what was changed in the new version... this does not happen often, but once in a while new versions become incompatible with older versions). In this way, if something does not work with the newest, you roll back to an older version of your campaign file and Maptool.

Personally, I use Dropbox which VERSIONS changes to your files, so no extra copy needed. I can then restore a previous version fairly easily without having to make multiple duplicates of stuff all over the place which is honesty rather silly.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

Alright, I just finished a massive VBL, so I'll save, make a backup, do some clean installs, and try it out! I appreciate all the help. I'm going to try using Wolph's BoT for the teleport after the clean install and I'll let you know if I have any problems.

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

All seems to be working now! I greatly appreciate all your help. I have noticed a huge increase in lag when creating, renaming, moving, cut/pasting tokens. Any suggestions for dealing with that? (I am running Maptools 1.4.1.7 set to 6144/1024/4 now).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

you should never change the min memory.

the lag you're experiencing is probly due to lots and lots of vbl data stored on token. You can try to reset it all IRC (but not sure) ctrl+shift+O

SzassT
Cave Troll

Post by SzassT »

Alright, I'll reset the minimum memory. I have no VBL set to tokens (in fact, the map I was using had no tokens on it when I initially started using 1.4.1.7). I do have a very large VBL for the map though. Either way, the Bag of Tricks works great, no more error message, everything loaded fine in the new build. Some lag spikes, I can probably deal with. I also noticed that the Repositories were all reloading and I have over 7,500 images that total roughly 1gb, so the lag may have just been in reloading all that? I'm not going to worry about it for now though. I greatly appreciate your time and patients!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

SzassT wrote:Alright, I'll reset the minimum memory. I have no VBL set to tokens (in fact, the map I was using had no tokens on it when I initially started using 1.4.1.7). I do have a very large VBL for the map though. Either way, the Bag of Tricks works great, no more error message, everything loaded fine in the new build. Some lag spikes, I can probably deal with. I also noticed that the Repositories were all reloading and I have over 7,500 images that total roughly 1gb, so the lag may have just been in reloading all that? I'm not going to worry about it for now though. I greatly appreciate your time and patients!
If you are using VBL, one other thing you could do to reduce lag that almost no one really talks about is reduce the default view range when creating a map. IIRC, it's 1000 squares which is almost a mile given a 5 foot square and honestly, that's just bonkers. I have a workhorse machine myself(32 GB ram), but I still set it to something like 100 squares, again, IIRC.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”