Can the Maptool UI Scale to fit a 4K monitor?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wino_print
Kobold

Can the Maptool UI Scale to fit a 4K monitor?

Post by wino_print »

I'd like to use Maptool at high resolution, but the UI doesn't scale like most Windows apps. I'm using Windows 10. Googling around, I see that this is a common problem: https://superuser.com/questions/988379/ ... pi-display

It sounds like certain Java apps can be tweaked or have settings altered to make their UIs scale. Is this the case with Maptool, or am I stuck with a tiny UI if I want to use 4K resolution? Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Can the Maptool UI Scale to fit a 4K monitor?

Post by aliasmask »

Do a forum search for "high resolution" and you should find a solution. I believe you have to change a setting in the registry for java.

wino_print
Kobold

Post by wino_print »

aliasmask wrote:Do a forum search for "high resolution" and you should find a solution. I believe you have to change a setting in the registry for java.
Thanks - apologies for asking a question that's already been answered. I searched for "4K monitor" and the like, but gave up pretty fast.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

If you are using the Dev version or my fork, the manifest is built in and there is an option in the Launcher to make the registry change for you.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wino_print wrote:Thanks - apologies for asking a question that's already been answered. I searched for "4K monitor" and the like, but gave up pretty fast.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27077
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wino_print
Kobold

Post by wino_print »

JamzTheMan wrote:If you are using the Dev version or my fork, the manifest is built in and there is an option in the Launcher to make the registry change for you.
I feel like trying the dev version would be the clearest way to attempt this - however, it sounds like it involves the Launcher, and one thing about my current experience is that the Launcher doesn't launch anything for me. The Launcher loads, but when I click buttons nothing happens. I've been launching MapTool just by double clicking on the JAR itself.

So I guess my questions are

1. Is the Launcher issue I'm seeing a known thing, and is there an easy solution to it?
2. Assuming I wasn't using the launcher, is it easy for me to trigger the necessary registry edits and then just use the Dev version of the JAR directly, and will that work?

One thing I'm noticing about the instructions for doing this manually is that it refers to folders in AppData that I don't think exist on my machine. I'm not sure if that's due to the fact that I'm not using the launcher, or what. Thanks!

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

The most common reason for the launcher to behave as you describe is to have installed the default version of Java, which is 32 bit, and put in a max memory setting that is too high, which causes Java to error out silently because the command line box is suppressed.

Did you go to http://www.java.com/ and click on the big red "Install Java" button? If so, you got 32 bit Java, regardless of what your operating system is.

When you just double-click on the MapTool .jar, you get the default memory settings for Java, which are inadequate.

Try this: Set the max memory setting (in the launcher) to 1024, and see if it works. If so (assuming you have 64 bit Windows), uninstall Java, reboot, then go here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

and select the "Windows Offline (64-bit)" installer. Then you can try much higher memory settings.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Try the Dev version or my fork, you will like it. :)

Double clicking the JAR may leave you with low memory/stack issues. FYI: You shouldn't have java issues with these versions either as we package the Java JRE with it for MT's use.
-Jamz

wino_print
Kobold

Post by wino_print »

Some progress - though I don't yet have a readable UI.

I checked my installed version of Java and it wasn't 64 bit, which I rectified. I had an unsurprising memory crisis during my night's game, although it hadn't turned up during testing, so I had to find a launcher that worked in a hurry.

Luckily, the installer for 1.4.1.6 worked! So I was able to add more memory via the launcher and finish the session without incident. I'm guessing that's because of the internal JRE that it comes with. I didn't fix my version of Java until just now, the day after the session.

However, my UI is still tiny. Do I still need to add a manifest somewhere or alter the registry?

Side question: What are some good memory settings for me to use? I'm running Windows 10, and I've got 32 gigs of RAM. I run my game in-person, with one server instance of Maptool on my screen and another player instance of Maptool on a big TV. Any ideas about what should be more than enough memory for the two instances? I'm assuming 32 gigs is more than enough, but the memory documentation warned that I could easily allocate too much.

wino_print
Kobold

Post by wino_print »

Okay... naturally I already inspected the options in the Launcher. There are four tabs. The basic tab has nothing about resolution or java UI stuff... the language tab is exclusively about languages... the advanced tab lets you choose a logging type, set relative pathnames, and launch with console (It also allows you to put in custom Java arguments, which might be what I'm looking for, but of course I'd need to know which java arguments to set)... and the Troubleshoot tab allows me to set logging detail level, enable assertions, disable direct3d pipeline, enable opengl pipeline, and something that looks like it only applies to MacOS.

So, where's the setting? If it's a Java argument, what is the argument?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

just had a look and I couldn't find it either. it *might* be in the nerps build (check jamzthemans' sig) but else here are the instructions to do it yourself : http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 15#p264355

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I don't believe a new dev version has been created to utilize the new code yet...

It IS in my build, you have to run the launcher as Administrator (just the one time) for the option to be enabled. If you don't want to use my fork, just do a search and follow the directions listed in the forums. It's relatively simple.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (9.7 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”