Could Not Load Campaign (Hessian Error)

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
HiddenSquid
Kobold

Could Not Load Campaign (Hessian Error)

Post by HiddenSquid »

I can't get anyone of my friends to get on the server I've created by portforwarding as we all get the same error:

Could not load campaign.
com.caucho.hessian.io.HessianProtocolException: unknown code for readObject at 0x12

I know it's not a firewall or antivirus problem or a failure to connect through the network. How do I fix this?
Attachments
I've added an image of the error itself so as to ensure I'm not forgetting any information.
I've added an image of the error itself so as to ensure I'm not forgetting any information.
Hessian Error Image.png (22.09 KiB) Viewed 946 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Could Not Load Campaign (Hessian Error)

Post by aliasmask »

Can you create a new instances of MT and connect to yourself? What version of MT are you using? What version of java are you using? Are you using Avast antivirus?

HiddenSquid
Kobold

Post by HiddenSquid »

aliasmask wrote:Can you create a new instances of MT and connect to yourself? What version of MT are you using? What version of java are you using? Are you using Avast antivirus?
When I create a new instance and try to connect to myself, I get the same error.
I am not using Avast as an antivirus.
I'm going to link some of the the debug information to try an answer what version of Java and MapTools.

==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b91
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Patrick\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 455M
Max mem used...: 419M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131
Java Version: 1.8.0_131
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-b11)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)

Thank you for trying to help me too! I'm a first time user on all of this kind of stuff (MapTools and portforwarding) so it looks gibberish to me.
Did I leave out any other information by accident? Sorry if I did! I'll try to respond with it as quick as I can.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Your memory settings seems a bit low and I would recommend using the latest version of MT or even the dev version (in announcements), although I can't say that is the issue.

recommend settings
Max Mem: 1024 (2048 if you have 64bit version of java installed and at least 4gigs of ram)
Min mem: 64 (default setting)
Stack: 4

I would try a newer install and the above memory settings and do the connect to yourself test again. Try both methods, picking your game from list and selecting the local option. Depending on the firewall settings if you can't connect to yourself via the list but can via local then it's definitely your firewall.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

HiddenSquid wrote:When I create a new instance and try to connect to myself, I get the same error.
Well, the good thing is that it's not the other players... it's you. ;)

What anti-virus program are you using? In the past, this issue was linked to AVG... but something else/similar may be causing your problem.

But, first, you should uninstall Java (reboot computer) and then reinstall it (make sure you get the 64 bit version like you currently have). And make sure when you run Maptool for the first time (using Alias' memory settings above) that you *ACCEPT* the java security exception that Windows will ask for. You may have accidentally denied this before.

Then start a server, run a second instance of MT, and "Connect to Server" (using the LAN tab).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

HiddenSquid
Kobold

Post by HiddenSquid »

Well, the good thing is that it's not the other players... it's you. ;)

What anti-virus program are you using? In the past, this issue was linked to AVG... but something else/similar may be causing your problem.

But, first, you should uninstall Java (reboot computer) and then reinstall it (make sure you get the 64 bit version like you currently have). And make sure when you run Maptool for the first time (using Alias' memory settings above) that you *ACCEPT* the java security exception that Windows will ask for. You may have accidentally denied this before.

Then start a server, run a second instance of MT, and "Connect to Server" (using the LAN tab).
aliasmask wrote:Your memory settings seems a bit low and I would recommend using the latest version of MT or even the dev version (in announcements), although I can't say that is the issue.

recommend settings
Max Mem: 1024 (2048 if you have 64bit version of java installed and at least 4gigs of ram)
Min mem: 64 (default setting)
Stack: 4

I would try a newer install and the above memory settings and do the connect to yourself test again. Try both methods, picking your game from list and selecting the local option. Depending on the firewall settings if you can't connect to yourself via the list but can via local then it's definitely your firewall.
Thank you both so much! After installing the newest version MapTools, raising the memory, and reinstalling Java, it finally works. I did them all at once so I don't know which one specifically made the difference. I don't know how to return the favour so I'll just hope you guys find $20 on the street or something. You're awesome.

Return to “MapTool”