Strange Maptools Behavior (Described inside)

Developer discussion regarding MapTool 1.4

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Posting now open to all registered forum users.
Xaelvaen
Dragon

Strange Maptools Behavior (Described inside)

Post by Xaelvaen »

I have two PCs, both running Windows 10, both with up to date graphics drivers, 64 bit java, etc etc. They are practically identical (8gigs of ram, quad cores). However, when I try to run maptools on the current PC I'm making this post from, I get some strange errors. I don't know what it is, or I would have put it in the topic name, so I will attempt to describe it below.

* The frame around maptools begins to bug out, causing spots of black and other images to overwrite it.
* The actual map itself begins to copy over itself? Like, when I try to move the screen to the right, then I get a kaleidoscope type effect of the map pasting itself, like a stamp tool.

This makes me think some sort of Memory issue, but honestly I've never encountered it. I play Witcher 3, Crysis, and several other high end games from this PC, so I'm really thrown for a loop what could be causing these issues. I've tried to recreate the problem on my other PC to no avail.

I plan on getting a screenshot the next time it happens, but I'm in a bit of a rush and wanted to see if anyone could identify this by experience. Otherwise, I'll return with a screenshot and if necessary, a redacted dxdiag.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Strange Maptools Behavior (Described inside)

Post by taustinoc »

"Practically identical" doesn't mean the same hardware (even if they're using the same drivers). That sounds like an issue with video drivers (which happens with MapTool, and Java in general).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:* The frame around maptools begins to bug out, causing spots of black and other images to overwrite it.
* The actual map itself begins to copy over itself? Like, when I try to move the screen to the right, then I get a kaleidoscope type effect of the map pasting itself, like a stamp tool.

This makes me think some sort of Memory issue, but honestly I've never encountered it. I play Witcher 3, Crysis, and several other high end games from this PC, so I'm really thrown for a loop what could be causing these issues.
Artifacting like that is usually an overheated graphic card or a driver issue. Given that you're playing more aggressive games without problem, it's not likely that it's overheating.

Check out some of the solutions on this page: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/237 ... ics-glitch
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Thanks Full Bleed, I'll give it a thorough read. I had assumed it was graphics card at first as well, which is why I double checked all the drivers. So far, since disabling catalyst, I haven't been able to recreate the issue. I was having some issues with some older PC games not running properly with Catalyst active, so I tried that - so far so good.
"An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person's main task in life - becoming a better person." - Leo Tolstoy

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Sometimes you just get a bad install of java or MT. There's also the weird things that seem unrelated like mouse drivers. I like to start from scratch removing java fully, restarting (this step is important) and then installing everything again. I would also try a different version like the dev version in the announcements to see if the problem goes away. The dev version installs its own version of java getting rid of one of MT's major annoyances with compatibility.

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Well, it was a fresh install of java 64 - the pc in question didn't have a 64 bit java version installed, so I removed the 32 bit, restarted, and installed the 64 bit - but I didn't remove the maptools first. I'll try your idea of a clean take from the get go after a restart - thanks Alias.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

sounds like a memory issue more than anything else. Basically, ONE cause is when the windows/linux/max display driver can't keep up with the "input"(ie, changing stuff in the application). As mentioned, another possible cause is the display drivers are bugged out or the java interface drivers to the aforementioned display drivers are in conflict.

Start with memory checks. Make sure you don't have any rogue memory going some where(such as possibly a virus!). You could possibly try booting into safemode, but I don't know for sure if that would even work since some stuff is not allowed in safe mode.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

1) Removed Maptools, and all its folders (.maptools, in example). - Restart
2) Removed java. - Restart
3) Reinstalled Java 64. - Restart
4) Got Maptools again - Restart.

Worked like a charm, and it is no longer having that bizarre issue. However, a new issue has arisen. I'm still searching the forums to see if this has come up or not, but I thought I'd list it here. When I have tokens on a map, the token names that appear at the bottom (on mouseover) are getting corrupted text. Like, little black dots are appearing in the font? It only happens after we've been on the same map for a decent amount of time.

I'll check the forums for similar reports - otherwise, any tips here?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:However, a new issue has arisen. I'm still searching the forums to see if this has come up or not, but I thought I'd list it here. When I have tokens on a map, the token names that appear at the bottom (on mouseover) are getting corrupted text. Like, little black dots are appearing in the font? It only happens after we've been on the same map for a decent amount of time.

I'll check the forums for similar reports - otherwise, any tips here?
Post your Help>Gather Debug info.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

1. Forget about your java installs
2. Download the Dev version 1.4.1.7 (uses it's own Java JRE)
3. Via the launcher, try the OpenGL/Direct3d options under troubleshoot tab (try one or the other or both)
4. Profit

Also, always check your graphics drivers of course... usually the issue for most java ui issues outside of the above
-Jamz

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

Alright, trying out the dev-build to see if the same things happen (1.4.1.7). Should I uninstall my own version of java to make things more smooth, or can I just ignore it?

Xaelvaen
Dragon

Post by Xaelvaen »

I made this post originally with 1.4.0.5, and upon suggestion from Jamz, I upgraded to 1.4.1.7 to try it all again, but I'm still getting the aforementioned font issue. I've attached a screenshot of the font issue. I've run malwarebytes, windows defender, and check my system resources; all RAM is functioning, my resources never break 29% on CPU or Memory - really don't know where to look from here.
Attachments
2017-07-24.png
2017-07-24.png (367.76 KiB) Viewed 5681 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Xaelvaen wrote:I made this post originally with 1.4.0.5, and upon suggestion from Jamz, I upgraded to 1.4.1.7 to try it all again, but I'm still getting the aforementioned font issue. I've attached a screenshot of the font issue. I've run malwarebytes, windows defender, and check my system resources; all RAM is functioning, my resources never break 29% on CPU or Memory - really don't know where to look from here.
The font that MT uses dithers that way (provided that you're only talking about the token name when hovering on it with a mouse.) Go to 100% zoom and then look at it at around 400%... the dithering at 400% produces dithering artifacts. The OS text smoothing does not seem to affect it at all so it's probably a java thing. You should not have those effects with most everything else though (but the text tool does use the same drawing method that will produce the artifacts.)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

What full bleed said, it looks like a dithering issue to me as well.

Have you tried adjusting the theme at all? If you search the forums there are some premade larger font themes and instructions.
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool 1.4”