[Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.x

Notes on testing the latest builds of MapTool

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.3.+

Post by JamzTheMan »

paulstrait wrote:So does that mean that if it reveals fog of war to NPCs owned solely by the GM, it doesn't necessarily reveal fog of war to the players?
Correct. I should clarify, this is only if using Individual FoW. So, FoW is stored by token guid. At any given time, FoW is shown based on token ownership + the buttons in the upper right corner.

Tokens with NO ownership are considered "GM" tokens. (Although a token could also be "owned" by the GM client name). To further support this, there is a new macro (and I don't have it in front of me but IIRC..) exposeAllOwned which works like the exposeAllPC macro except includes any token owned by the person running it. (Unlike the former, the later doesn't expose FoW for PC tokens he doesn't own).
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Release 1.4.3.20

Post by JamzTheMan »

1.4.3.20 Released this week!

o Bug Fixes:
- Macro Function getTokenFacing() fixed, now works again if no ID parameter is passed
- GUID fixed, now always generates a unique NON-numbered ID using UUID (Eliminates those pesky Token ID issues)
- Fixed HeroLab Statblock data not saving as assets in Campaign file (statblock assets were not being properly stored in campaign saves)

o Enhancements
- New client Preference, "File Sync Directory". User selected directory that points to a cloud directory (usually) like Google Drive. Used to relativize paths for external files like Hero Lab portfolios so they work on multiple PC's with different file paths.
- Edit Token -> Location [tooltip] shows relative path stored

o BETA Changes
- New Function [BETA]: getTokenRotation([id]); returns token facing in 0-360 degrees
- New Box2D testing performance for Lights & Physics engine (mostly looking to use for realistic lighting).
This is only a test. Currently it is not interactive but grabs the current map background and grid (still buggy) and VBL (slightly buggy still) and dispalys static objects and random lights.

Box2d Instructions:
Start by going to menu Help -> Show Box2D Tests
Left click to add a random color light
Right click to remove all lights

Feel free to post your test results! For me, I can usually add about 60 lights before my FPS dips below 60 FPS and I can do about 100 lights at 30 FPS. This is code is raw and not optomized AND the lights are all moving. In a MapTool situation, you won't have as many lights. Eventually I'll tie lights and tokens in from the map to get some better tests.
*Note: The FPS counter may not show on screens smaller than 1080p resolution. #beta
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

did a quick check on the box2d. I get a dip exactly after 50 lights. Then it starts to drop drastically: 60 lights drops it to 30. Interestingly enough it remains 30fps upto 85 lights and then drops to 20fps at 90 and then flattens again.

so when is it inside mt :D ?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, I forgot, <SPACE> pauses the action. (So, more MT like :) )

As far as getting it into MT, still lots of work. Have to get the ortho camera to pan/zoom, iterate through objects and place them, get everything in MT to translate to the "pixel per meters" system in libgdx, and of course, mouse actions. Although, I did set it up like this it could progress in chunks. And if it shows what you want, you "could" still use it in place/over the normal MT window. I'll look into getting it into the same frame/space as the current map space (with a toggle) (unless people like the floating view, possibly a 3rd option)

The only thing I don't like is It doesn't seem to be a away to adjust the light drop off. In other words, the light may illuminate out 30 meters but it gets pretty dark that last 10-15 meters. I'd like control so only the outside "square" was shadowed/dim. (although it may look more realistic now). Once I get tokens and drop light DnD light sources down, we'll see what a dungeon looks like...
-Jamz

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: [Nerps!] MapTool Fork based on 1.4.1.7

Post by dorpond »

Awesome stuff, Jamz!

That lighting example ROCKS!!!!

Wolph42: Regarding 50+ lights, I will be happy with 10 :)
Great benchmarking though; darn, that looks awesome, doesn't it? Exciting stuff!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote: - New Box2D testing performance for Lights & Physics engine (mostly looking to use for realistic lighting).
This is only a test. Currently it is not interactive but grabs the current map background and grid (still buggy) and VBL (slightly buggy still) and dispalys static objects and random lights.
This feature would be one of the coolest MT has seen in a long time. Getting some next gen lights (and physics!) into MT would help modernize it substantially.

I think I can speak for the forum and say that you have our permission to take a week or two off from work to get this fully implemented. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote: - New Box2D testing performance for Lights & Physics engine (mostly looking to use for realistic lighting).
This feature would be one of the coolest MT has seen in a long time. Getting some next gen lights (and physics!) into MT would help modernize it substantially.

I think I can speak for the forum and say that you have our permission to take a week or two off from work to get this fully implemented. ;)
Well then, let me get that Patreon page up and running then! j/k :mrgreen:
-Jamz

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Ran 1.4.3.20 tonight and had several bugs, the last of which was catastrophic. The earlier bugs were basically just tokens that were reverting their movement as soon as they ctrl-Ied to reveal vision. The more catastrophic error happened suddenly, I can't remember exactly what I was doing but I know I hit the spacebar and every single map was deleted. On my screen, there was just a grasslands -- my players just had black. To add insult to injury, there was no usable autosave. We are reverting to 1.4.3.19. Looking at my log file in my .maptool folder, weirdly every entry takes place after this error--the first thing is the aborted attempt to open the autosave:

TinyLaF v1.4.0
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
2017-08-21 21:51:56,667 [client.MapTool:303] ERROR - msg.error.failedLoadCampaign
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Source 'C:\Users\user\.maptool\backup\AutoSave.cmpgn' does not exist
at org.apache.commons.io.FileUtils.copyFile(FileUtils.java:1074)
at net.rptools.lib.FileUtil.copyFile(FileUtil.java:350)
at net.rptools.lib.BackupManager.backup(BackupManager.java:72)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$59.run(AppActions.java:2172)
2017-08-21 21:52:54,517 [model.AssetLoader:130] ERROR - I/O error retrieving/saving index for 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghcrbd5sfxi1knv/index.gz?dl=0
java.util.zip.ZipException: Not in GZIP format
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(GZIPInputStream.java:165)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:79)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:91)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.decode(AssetLoader.java:142)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.getIndexMap(AssetLoader.java:125)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.addRepository(AssetLoader.java:59)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetManager.updateRepositoryList(AssetManager.java:108)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.setCampaign(MapTool.java:920)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.AppActions$59.run(AppActions.java:2202)
2017-08-21 21:53:48,751 [model.AssetLoader:130] ERROR - I/O error retrieving/saving index for 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghcrbd5sfxi1knv/index.gz?dl=0
java.util.zip.ZipException: Not in GZIP format
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(GZIPInputStream.java:165)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:79)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(GZIPInputStream.java:91)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.decode(AssetLoader.java:142)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.getIndexMap(AssetLoader.java:125)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetLoader.addRepository(AssetLoader.java:59)
at net.rptools.maptool.model.AssetManager.updateRepositoryList(AssetManager.java:108)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.setCampaign(MapTool.java:920)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.setCampaign(MapTool.java:891)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ClientMethodHandler$1.run(ClientMethodHandler.java:191)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:756)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:726)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:36)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Is there somewhere else a usable log might exist? Nothing in the Jwrapper folder seems useful. In any event, I suggest reverting to 1.4.3.19, it was much more stable.

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Actually, I want to revert to 1.4.3.19, but it is unclear how to do so b/c the old version seems to be deleted.

EDIT: Nevermind I see they are just in a different folder, so I'll direct the launcher to look there.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If the space bar was involved, there's a good chance you hit the <Alt> key, followed by the space bar three times (or held down). The <Alt> key activates the File menu, the space bar then opens the menu, followed by selecting the top entry New Campaign, then selecting confirming Yes you wish to discard the current campaign. You can duplicate this by slowly hitting those keys in that order.

This happens in all version of MapTool, and isn't precisely a bug. It's just how the interface works (and not just in MapTool). Reverting to an older version will have no effect if you do the same thing again.

There's been discussion of who to make it Not Do That, but apparently, nothing has been implemented yet.

(And for what it's worth, a lot of people have been bitten by this, including me.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I thought the solution was going to be to change the default button on the last of those spacebar-activates-an-OK-button-in-a-dialog popups? Hasn't that already been fixed?

Oh well; give me the sequence of what comes up when you hit Alt, then space-space-space on a Windows box and I'll look into it. I don't use Windows, so I likely won't see the same things on my Mac...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:I thought the solution was going to be to change the default button on the last of those spacebar-activates-an-OK-button-in-a-dialog popups? Hasn't that already been fixed?

Oh well; give me the sequence of what comes up when you hit Alt, then space-space-space on a Windows box and I'll look into it. I don't use Windows, so I likely won't see the same things on my Mac...
ALT makes the File Menu active.
SPACE opens the File Menu.
SPACE selects the first option in the File Menu: New Campaign.
A confirmation box pops asking, "Discard Current Campaign?" And "Yes" is the default.
A third SPACE selects the "Yes" option and the campaign is discarded and a new one opened.

The default just needs to be "No" on the confirmation box.

Because the space bar is the pointer tool in MT and ALT is next to the space bar, it's not surprising this happens.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Full Bleed wrote:ALT makes the File Menu active.
SPACE opens the File Menu.
SPACE selects the first option in the File Menu: New Campaign.
A confirmation box pops asking, "Discard Current Campaign?" And "Yes" is the default.
A third SPACE selects the "Yes" option and the campaign is discarded and a new one opened.

The default just needs to be "No" on the confirmation box.
Fixed. I've merged the change into my repo and it'll be merged into the next build. I can't test it on my Mac (the key sequence), but I can check that the default button is "No".

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

Ah, I see. I've read about that before, I guess I've been initiated in that club. Managed to use maptool nearly 10 years before triggering it somehow. Anyway, the other issue of token's movement being reverted sometimes when using ctrl-I to reveal vision for them seems like it has to relate to the things that were changed in this version. It happened when I used a macro to teleport a single token (didn't seem to happen when I moved more than one token at once) into a fog of war concealed area.

I don't know what was going on with my log file or with my autosave (though I suspect that even if the autosave had loaded, it would probably have been just the first autosave since the last save since it seems like it is still the case that regular periodic autosaving is broken).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

paulstrait wrote:[...] since it seems like it is still the case that regular periodic autosaving is broken).
I've been thinking about this. We should probably be keeping multiple autosaves and rotating between them. For example, we should create Autosave.cmpgn, renaming the existing file to Autosave-1.cmpgn, and doing that for 2-3 saves by default. Having a single autosave seems to mess people up sometimes when they accidentally do something and then an autosave triggers too soon for them to recover the existing autosave file. :(

I'll look into this; it shouldn't be too tough as it's just renaming existing files if they're already there. We can implement a spinner in the Preferences to control how many there are and default it to three...

Return to “Testing”