how to rotate a token

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Raknor
Kobold

how to rotate a token

Post by Raknor »

is there a way to rotate an object without needing to use a second token?

I am playing a game that has tokens 1 by 2 and depending on how they move they may need to be rotated 90 degrees.

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: how to rotate a token

Post by metatheurgist »

The token needs to be Top-Down (token config). With the token selected hold shift or shift+ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel. Or right-click and set the facing.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Raknor wrote:is there a way to rotate an object without needing to use a second token?

I am playing a game that has tokens 1 by 2 and depending on how they move they may need to be rotated 90 degrees.
Shift-MouseWheel will rotate the token to the facing waypoints you set in Edit>Preferences>Facing.

Ctrl-Shift-MouseWheel will free-rotate the token.

You can also use macros using Wiki: setTokenFacing() to snap to preset facing positions.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Raknor
Kobold

Post by Raknor »

that sets the facing arrow

what I need to do is change the orientation of the actual token as it is not a square

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Raknor wrote:that sets the facing arrow

what I need to do is change the orientation of the actual token as it is not a square
As metatheurgist mentioned, you need to change the type of token to top-down.

Raknor
Kobold

Post by Raknor »

Thank you I guess I did not see that top down was a setting in a token.

This will work. Not perfect as 1x2 do not snap correctly but that is no big deal.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I recommend making your tokens 3x3 where you put the 1x2 in the top and middle square. You can then set your token to free size and it should line up and rotate nicely.

Raknor
Kobold

Post by Raknor »

how would I get the 7 unused squares to be transparent (ie. see tokens on the locations and see the background) I have never been able to get transparence to work. likely user error :(

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can use a program like Gimp or paint and save it as a png file.

Another way you can do it is resize the token to huge (changing the foot print size) and then change it back to free size. Go to the config and you'll see the image with a box. The box represents the center you can then move the image so one side is in the box. It'll then rotate around that center. Selecting the token may be tricky at certain orientations due to what I think is a bug.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

aliasmask wrote:You can use a program like Gimp or paint and save it as a png file.
And define it as having a transparent background.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

No. Let's say your image is 50x100. You create a blank image (no background) with the program of 150x150 and then copy/paste your image on to it. As long as you save it as .png those blank spaces or deleted spaces are transparent.

Return to “MapTool”