Syrinscape Alternatives

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
goldensword52
Cave Troll

Syrinscape Alternatives

Post by goldensword52 »

First off, I'd like to thank Jamz for all the amazing features in his Map Tool Fork; if you haven't already I highly recommend everyone should check it out. One feature in particular is the integration with Syrinscape. With a bit of macro coding, you can get Map Tool to play certain sounds through the Syrinscape program.

That feature is certainly better than nothing, but I have a few issues with the Syrinscape program in particular, mostly in terms of playing my own music and sounds. So I have a question for the more experienced Map Tool users: are there any alternatives to Syrinscape for that job? For example, how difficult would it be for Map Tool to send a command to open Windows Media Player with a specific MP3 file instead of Syrinscape? If that can't be done directly, then what about having Map Tool create a specific playlist file that can then be opened in any media player?

It seems a shame to have such a potentially useful feature be held back by being limited to just one program. So I hope someone can show me an alternative or workaround that does the same job without Syrinscape. Thanks in advance!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Syrinscape Alternatives

Post by JamzTheMan »

I know this doesn't answer your question, but you can create your own Syrinscape soundsets using Syrinscape Creator. But I admit it's not the quickest way and still requires $$.

If another URI scheme is required for another program to launch externally, let me know, it's not difficulty to add them.

I do plan to add mp3/ogg/wav support in the future, but I can only dedicate so many hours to a hobby. :)
-Jamz

goldensword52
Cave Troll

Post by goldensword52 »

JamzTheMan wrote:I know this doesn't answer your question, but you can create your own Syrinscape soundsets using Syrinscape Creator. But I admit it's not the quickest way and still requires $$.

If another URI scheme is required for another program to launch externally, let me know, it's not difficulty to add them.

I do plan to add mp3/ogg/wav support in the future, but I can only dedicate so many hours to a hobby. :)
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't really understand what a URI involves. Is it not possible to have a URI that launches windows media player? Or any other generic media player for that matter? If you say it's easy, that'd be great, but I feel like I'm missing something. If it is prohibitively difficult, at least that news that Map Tool might soon support sound effects directly is something to look forward to!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_R ... Identifier

The software has to register with windows and handle the URI requests. Syrinscape does this and their URI looks like this, "syrinscape-fantasy:moods/YnVnYmVhci1iYXR0bGU6OkJhdHRsZSBCZWdpbnM/play/" and Windows knows to launch syrinscape-fantasy player, and Syrinscape plays mood with ID YnVnYmVhci1iYXR0bGU6OkJhdHRsZSBCZWdpbnM

Another "media player" would have it's own scheme and what it needs as "parameters". I would love it if the Pandora app had this and I could send a "pandora:something/artist=someartist/play" or whatever it needed to play/pause/stop stations etc. However, it does not. :-(

So, what I'm saying, IF someone found a certain media player that accepted URI requests and had those URI's documented, I can add those to my fork (within reason). I have not found any other to this date so far myself.
-Jamz

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I don't know if this program has what you need, but I have used it for years because it does exactly what I need a background music/sound fx player to do:
http://softrope.net/.

Unfortunately, it is no longer in development/updated. Still, I can play two separate playlists at the same time and control the volume of each separately as needed. Something that no other audio software I have found seems to do for some reason. They all seem dependent on your OS main volume control.

Return to “MapTool”