[XLS] Inn Generator (WFRP)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

wolph42
Winter Wolph

[XLS] Inn Generator (WFRP)

Post by wolph42 »

Subject tells the tale. Its an Inn Generator I created a long time ago for the WFRP setting. I came across it recently and did some updates on it. Here's the new version.

This one is fairly cool because of the 'common room' generator. Which builds benches, groups, individuals and descriptions. See screenshot.
WFRP Inn Generator V2.14.xls.zip
(334.3 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Screenshot
Inn gen.jpg
Inn gen.jpg (549.33 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: [XLS] Inn Generator (WFRP)

Post by Full Bleed »

Very cool.

Too bad this (and your library generator) doesn't export to a MT version.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

indeed it doesn't. This stems from an pre-maptool era when I created it. But out of curiosity, if it *would* port to MT, how do you envision that? (completely integrating it in MT aint gonna happen as I make heavily use of the excel environment) but exporting material to MT might be possible, just not sure what that would look like

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote: But out of curiosity, if it *would* port to MT, how do you envision that?
Well, while the Inn generator is really cool, it still requires a lot of input into an MT environment... In a perfect world, I'd envision an MT version that would generate the interior elements for placement in an existing inn: tables/furniture, patrons, and some interactive or informative tokens with all of the flavor text/information so it's all inside MT and clickable. Then you could just move everything around the interior of an Inn and go. A serious project, but the Inn is a pretty ubiquitous part of fantasy games so I bet it would get a lot of use.

As for the library in MT, being able to pop a dialog with clickable books inside MT would be pretty cool. I just don't see how I would use the XLS sheet, as is, very effectively in my games.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Inn
well an intermediate solution would be to have some textbox where you can copy paste the data from the xls generator in MT and then have a couple of macros that build the inn. I've already build 3 dungeon builders, I would guess that it should not be too hard to build a random Inn generator....but I'd still not rather do this alone (anymore).
Integrating the entire generator into MT is a massive amount of work and not something I'm gonna do. The beauty of the current setup is that its relatively easy to change stuff in the generator (just turn on debug mode) so it better suites your game. The same is far from trivial in MT

Libris
I agree that its less functional in a virtual setting. In the old days (when I ran WFRP) my players occasionally ran into either an entire library or a study with some bookcases. With the generator I could very easily deflect the question: is there anything of interest in the cases? I just ran the bulder, set the excel to 'safe mode' (or whatever I called the mode so players could only see and interact with the bookcases) and handed over the laptop. This is tougher in an MT setting, unless, you indeed move everything to MT. Again possible, but a massive undertaking and I don't see the benefit of doing that. Perhaps, If someone is interested, I could consider building also a 'parser' where the result of one can be copy pasted and 'macro'd' into the other.

Return to “User Creations”