[1.4] More Layers

If you have an idea for a new feature, please discuss it in the main MapTool forum first, then post a summary of the discussion here. Use the first Sticky as a template.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, jay, Mr.Ice

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

[1.4] More Layers

Post by IMarvinTPA »

I'm not sure how well this will go over, but I would like to see a few more layers, the list would be (Old layer behavior in parenthesis):

Token (Token)
Ceiling (Background)
Hidden (Object)
High Object (Object)
Wall (Background)
Low Object (Object)
Floor (Background)
[Map] (Map)

I'm finding a certain rendering order and obscuring order that having these additional layers would help make MapTool a better map making program.

Thanks,
IMarv
Last edited by IMarvinTPA on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrugnak
Dragon

Re: More Layers

Post by Mrugnak »

The *ideal* situation would be for the GM to create and delete his own layers, arbitrarily, and configure their z order however he wishes.

I, for one, am constantly irritated by the way drawing on the background always goes BEHIND my background image, and I am unable to move the background under the drawing.

IMarvinTPA
Dragon

Post by IMarvinTPA »

Agreed.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yep, this has been discussed frequently in the past.

Please edit the subject and add a version number to it. Thanks.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Dynamic layers is (was?) slated for 1.4.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

chap126
Kobold

Re: [1.4] More Layers

Post by chap126 »

Is there any update on multiple/arbitrary layer limits?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Nothing more than it's going to wait for an major update (like MT 2.0) and move to FX.

Right now the "layers" are ridiculously hard coded though out the code and is a major undertaking to introduce/change those layers. So when doing so I'd like to redo how they are done and let you add/customize the layers (think Photoshop).
-Jamz

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

chap126 wrote:Is there any update on multiple/arbitrary layer limits?
Remember that if the reason you want a new Layer is for better drawing possibilities, you can replicate that functionality using the Draw Explorer and by grouping Objects.

chap126
Kobold

Post by chap126 »

Thanks for the responses! Actually for me it's not really about more layers, as much as more drawing program functionality, specifically the ability to hide and show layers of a drawing. It would open up some cool doors like hiding a roof and revealing the top floor of a building, then hiding the top floor of a building and revealing the ground floor.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

chap126 wrote:Thanks for the responses! Actually for me it's not really about more layers, as much as more drawing program functionality, specifically the ability to hide and show layers of a drawing. It would open up some cool doors like hiding a roof and revealing the top floor of a building, then hiding the top floor of a building and revealing the ground floor.
You really should look at Wolf's Bag of Tricks. It's a workaround, but it'll do almost all of that - automatically when you move a token.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

chap126 wrote: It would open up some cool doors like hiding a roof and revealing the top floor of a building, then hiding the top floor of a building and revealing the ground floor.
As taustinoc mentioned, I would use Wolph42's Bag of Tricks for dealing with roofs.

However for multiple floor game play I would recommend representing the different floors on the same map and to use shadow tokens.

See this Bonded Warehouse example

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

The bag of tricks also has teleportal functions, so it can move a token from the 1st floor to the 2nd when you move a token onto the stairs. No idea how well that works, as I haven't played with it, but it's another option.

Return to “Feature Requests”