Map Master (Woodlands Map & Help making/loading it)

Threads for tokens/libraries of complete ready to use game maps made by MapTool users and provided for other users to make use of. (This is just like the section for frameworks users have made and offered to others, but specific to completed MapTool maps).

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

dorpond
RPTools Team

Map Master (Woodlands Map & Help making/loading it)

Post by dorpond »

I would like to mention something.

In all the years of playing these types of games; using map making utilities; fiddling around with Photoshop and Gimp, drawing pictures with Painter, I have never seen anything as beautiful as this:

http://www.rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q= ... itemId=523

I mean, take a close look at this thing!!
http://www.rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q= ... ewsIndex=1

Vry, you are a master of the map making domain. By far, the best I have EVER seen! If you are not a cartographer in real life, you are in the wrong business.

Now, where do we sign up for lessons? I would love to know what tools you used and how you approach making maps like this. Where do you start? Do you use images and stamp them down? Do you take real photos and blend them in? Teach me master :)

Thanks for the great contribution.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor,

Educate me Friend. How can I get maps like the one that Vry made to work in Map Tools? These are the type of maps I hope to use some day. Also, I want to use larger maps (as in inches x inches, not file size) so hopefully we can get them loaded somehow.

I remember you mentioned changing memory sizes in Java. I am not familiar so can you give a step by step tutorial perhaps?

Also, is there a way to halt a "loading" without closing out of Maptools?

[EDIT]
OK, I just found that if I delete map, it stops it from loading.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

This is what I get:

Java Web Start 1.5.0_06
Using JRE version 1.5.0_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\bhart
----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
TinyLaF v1.3.03
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
Exception in thread "pool-1-thread-1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

If you use the zip file version of MapTool and thus start from a .jar file...

Go into the directory and create a small batch file. You can do this with Notepad. Call it start.bat or whatever as long as it ends in .bat.

Then put this line in the file:

Code: Select all

javaw -Xmx256M -jar maptool-1.1.b7.jar
Note that is specifically for build 7. For a new build, use the new name.

This gives it a bunch more memory to work with.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

OK, I've had a tweak in mind for a while now, perhaps now is the time to implement it.

To increase the memory that MapTool can use, run it like this:

java -Xmx256m net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool

The 256 is the max heap size.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Before I give it a try, I was wondering if there was an easy way for non-computer friendly people to adjust their memory size?

I am always thinking easy so I guess I am curious if there is a way you can make an option in Maptools that would change the memory settings and reboot maptools automatically with the new settings in place.

I am just thinking about having to support my "end users" when it comes to game time and I really don't want to have to make manual changes for them.

Always thinking Easy :)
It is my IT nature..

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:OK, I've had a tweak in mind for a while now, perhaps now is the time to implement it.

Problem: You are all assuming we know Java like you do.. I am an IT guy, been in the field for 17 years, certified in Microsoft and Novel, setup routers and firewalls, Support just about every software issue, but even I am not all that familiar with Java at this level.

**Feel really stupid now because I probably should** :shock:

But you may want to make things like this a little more user friendly.

Now, that being said; I tried making a shortcut Trevor with this string that you mentioned but it isn't working. Do I need to put it in a specific folder? Can you give more details captain?

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:
trevor wrote:OK, I've had a tweak in mind for a while now, perhaps now is the time to implement it.

Problem: You are all assuming we know Java like you do.. I am an IT guy, been in the field for 17 years, certified in Microsoft and Novel, setup routers and firewalls, Support just about every software issue, but even I am not all that familiar with Java at this level.

**Feel really stupid now because I probably should** :shock:

But you may want to make things like this a little more user friendly.

Now, that being said; I tried making a shortcut Trevor with this string that you mentioned but it isn't working. Do I need to put it in a specific folder? Can you give more details captain?
We could put a batch script in the build, that would make it easier to tweak.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Not sure why Trevor, but this didn't work for me:

I was able to get the method Phergus suggested to function. Thanks Phergus!

Cool, now I can load that map from Vry!

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:Not sure why Trevor, but this didn't work for me:

I was able to get the method Phergus suggested to function. Thanks Phergus!

Cool, now I can load that map from Vry!
Oops, yeah, his would work better.

Vry
Giant

Post by Vry »

Thanks for the compliments Dorpond.

Of course the obligatory thing to say when someone asks for advice is “practice,” but I hate it when they do that because it doesn’t actually tell you anything. Even worse when you buy a book and that’s all it says…

As far as specific tips go, there are three things that come to mind.

1) Have a huge texture library. If your overlays are any indication, you’ve got this one down. Don’t know if you have a digital camera, but you can probably find all kinds of great textures in your yard or community.

2) Know your Blending Options. This is by far the best feature of Photoshop 6 and above. The dynamic filtering of Blending Options allows you to keep erasing or adding more to a layer and it will keep correcting bevels, textures and glows automatically. Don’t be afraid to stack every option (except maybe stroke) on a layer. Many times, it still requires a duplicate layer with the fill set to 0% and even more blending options set there to get the job done.

3) Custom Brushes. Sure, you can draw any lifelike pattern you want with just a simple round brush, but it takes forever. Using things like the Scattering and Dual Brush properties, you can make brushes that very quickly put appropriately shaped random bits all over the general area you want. It’s not very precise and you’ll want to keep a finger on the Undo button, but you can get some good results. Pretty much all of the rocks, pebbles, and debris on my maps are scatter brushes.

Another thing that also helps with the actual drawing, but I’m not sure if I would go so far as to say it’s required is a Wacom tablet. The pressure sensitivity helps a lot when trying to do smooth erasing or shading.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Vry wrote:Another thing that also helps with the actual drawing, but I’m not sure if I would go so far as to say it’s required is a Wacom tablet. The pressure sensitivity helps a lot when trying to do smooth erasing or shading.
I got one :)
A nice large one too. I bought it thinking I would get into drawing more but I didn't so it is rarely used. I will have to hook it up again :)

Thanks for the pointers -now I get to learn how to use these features a bit better!

You are awesome and thanks!

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Those suckers are expensive too, lol. I was pricing them new, around $300 for a smallish one...
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

Thanks for the link, Dorpond. I didn't think it was possible to fall in love with a map. That one is truly inspired.

Good job, Vry!

trevor

Post by trevor »

And thanks for Vry for posting his maps at rpgmapshare.com for all to share !

Return to “Complete Maps”