RPG Tonight

Links to gaming-related tools and external resources. Feel free to promote your (RPG-related) sites here.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

RPMiller
Demigod

RPG Tonight

Post by RPMiller »

Interesting browser based VTT.

http://www.rpgtonight.com/
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I checked them out when they announced their existence, then again when they announced open beta.

It seems like a good effort to fill the shoes of WebRPG, but to me the UI was seriously, seriously ... well, unusable.

Kudos to them for working on building a community though :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Trevor, I had a pretty lengthly discussion regarding ORPG vs. MT on the above thread. Lots of interesting stuff there. You might want to go check it out to see what is keeping the OPRG users away from MT.

ImageImage

trevor

Post by trevor »

Do you have a direct link ? I don't see it when I scan the forums

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Well, if someone is happy with Open RPG I can see a reason to stick with it. I landed on maptool after researching a bunch of VTTs. At this point I have too much invested in Maptool to consider a move to something else unless that something else is clearly superior for my needs. Since maptool fills all the needs I have for now or has that functionality slated for the future I doubt I'll need to move.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

Interesting thread. We're definitely still working on the scripting side.

I've been holding off on integrating scripting for a couple reasons, the first is that it's just dead simple to integrate it in java 6, but moving to java 6 might very well alienate the OSX users, so I want to get the 1.x line fleshed out before we move to 2.0 and java 6.

I think the key is that we're still moving forward, but openrpg is basically stalled (well to be fair, digitalxero is kinda tweaking it a bit).

But definitely for the time being chat centric games would probably do better on orpg.

Of course, it's possible that once they figure out what they _can_ do with maps they might use them more :)

I find it amusing that the thread started off as rpgtonight and diverged very quickly.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Yea, interesting how that happened... :twisted:

ImageImage

Artok
Cave Troll

Post by Artok »

I also looked at RPGTonight before I found MapTool. It seemed like a great idea to have a browser-based VTT, but like Trevor I found it completely unusable. Of course, now I am glad it didn't work, as I am very happy with what MapTool can do now and what Trevor is developing it to become in the future.

People on this list don't say it often enough, so I will say it now:

Great Job Trevor! Thank you for all you do! :D
Founding member of the Blue Steele Role Playing Group (BSRPG)

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

trevor wrote:...definitely for the time being chat centric games would probably do better on orpg...
I keep watching for the chat features... The one-click to switch NPC's with text is the part I'm thinking of... Chat features are definately more "Ease to the GM" orientated... ;)
Game On!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

On the web side, there has been talk of making maptool feed the http protocol out so you could connect to it like you could any web server. That would rock.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:On the web side, there has been talk of making maptool feed the http protocol out so you could connect to it like you could any web server. That would rock.
That will totally rule ! This will happen in 2.0 when we switch to the new networking engine

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

trevor wrote:But definitely for the time being chat centric games would probably do better on orpg.
Some ORPG vs MT observations...

Our group used ORPG for over a year and just recently switched to MT. We initially balked at the lack of scripting and Hero dice/Initiative support but overcame those obstacles. Using ORPG 1.6.3 we had created scripts to handle the custom Hero dice and track our turns/initiative. As ORPG moved to the 1.7 version all of our scripts failed and would require being re-coded. So at that point since we had to recode anyway, it became just as easy to move to MT for the MUCH better map support, as scripting is on its way (someday), Hero Dice has some support (and I have faith more will come - someday), There has been talk of incorparating the Initiative tool into MT (someday) and IT already has Hero Support. In the meantime switching solved some connection issues one of our players had staying connected to the ORPG server (so in this regard MT is more stable), and we have figured out ways to use token macros, macro buttons, and the new table functionality. The nail in the coofin of ORPG for us was the VERY aggressive development pace of MT. It is very gratifiying to see things develop and mature so quickly.

Return to “Links & External Resources”