Session 1 - Technical Report
- I had 7 machines in total connected and all connected effortlessly and maintained the connections through the night. Things that have changed since our last trouble ridden night include:
1.3b31 vs. 1.3b30
Fast & Easy to setup
Put the repository on a web server
Host box was not running the Cytrix VPN client
Ran the 512M memory version vs. the Web launch version
- All users had to get the 1.3b31 client downloaded and running with 512M memory. I was able to help everyone get that done quickly and without any complications.
I have an Actiontec router and I use the MAC address restrictions to limit who can access my network. It turns out that that router seems to have a limit of around 10 MAC addresses that it can store. So I opened up the network for the evening just to not have to mess with it. For the future, I will probably disable the wireless bit of that router and use a nice SMC router I have.
- Skype audio is wonderful. We had clear consistent professional conference call quality the entire evening. But Skype + the D-Link USB-phone adapter use up 85% of the cpu of the 1.6GHz Athlon 64 processor laptop I was hosting on. This left very little processor for MapTools. Next week I am replacing the D-Link CRAP with another link so we will see if that is sufficient. Also the new adapter will allow me to use Ventrilo which is far lighter.
MapTool performance - I have a very busy map that was just too much for the system configuration. It has a bunch of stamps and a lot of VBL squares (it is an outdoor setting). When I swapped to that map, and attempted to drop a PC token onto it, my processor pegged at 100%. It then took me about 20 minutes to drop the 6 tokens on and Edit them to give the players rights to their tokens.
I think there is a need for a way to associate a token to a connected machine that does not require the Edit window. That window was taking 1-3 minutes for me to open as the processor was pegged. I will make sure all player tokens are on all of my maps now as that process took forever... especially since I could not drop an entire party at once.
- I set a bunch of maps in my campaign file to NOT PLAYER VISIBLE. While that worked, the map names were still visible to the players in the pull down globe icon. So they know that there are some 6 odd maps in the campaign that are to be found, and they have clues to where to look based on the map names (for example, on map is named Mill so now they are on the lookout for a mill).
Video: As my processor was at 92-100% all evening, I decided to not run any video as there were no resources to handle it.
D-Link USB-Phone adapter:
This thing is total crap. Every time I need to connect it, I must reinstall the drivers. That installation often takes multiple attempts. Once I get it working, it takes up ~40% of my cpu. Stay away from this junk.