Random Number Picker – Formula Dé

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

brunnjon
Kobold

Random Number Picker – Formula Dé

Post by brunnjon »

Basically, I'd like to make some Formula Dé dice. There are six dice representing the six gears on your car. There's : a d4, 6, 8, 12, 20, & 30. The issue is that the dice don't all go through the standard range of numbers. For example, I believe the d30 only has numbers 20-30.

Is there a way to input what numbers are on each facet and just have it pick a random number from those available?
Last edited by brunnjon on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Not really no.

Your best bet is to figure out the cooresponding equation, since it is not technically d30 (that would imply a 30 sided die).

If you want to create an expression that generates the numbers 20-30 (inclusive of both 20 and 30) then d11+19 should work as long as you are looking for a standard distribution of the numbers.

d11 -> 1, 2, 3, ... 11
~Giliath

Krattack
Kobold

Post by Krattack »

Unfortunately the distribution of the numbers is not standard. MapTool and tables could be a way to implement those dice, but if you don't need anything else from it then it might be too heavy application just for rolling the dice.

Or, as Giliath said, figure out the equation and use that. The d4 used in the game is easy since it really is a d2. Rest are trickier since, for example, the d8 has numbers 4,5,6,6,7,7,8,8. Might not even be possible to do without tables.

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Krattack wrote:Unfortunately the distribution of the numbers is not standard. MapTool and tables could be a way to implement those dice, but if you don't need anything else from it then it might be too heavy application just for rolling the dice.

Or, as Giliath said, figure out the equation and use that. The d4 used in the game is easy since it really is a d2. Rest are trickier since, for example, the d8 has numbers 4,5,6,6,7,7,8,8. Might not even be possible to do without tables.
Actually you can do it real easily with List.

Code: Select all

[ResultList = "4,5,6,6,7,7,8,8"]
[DiceRoll = 1d8-1]
{"Result is " + listGet(ResultList, DiceRoll)}
The -1 is in there cause List always start at 0. ;)

brunnjon
Kobold

Post by brunnjon »

Sorry in advance, I know you get it all the time. But I don't know what "List" means. Is this something I would need to incorporate into the "functions.js" script?

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

brunnjon wrote:Sorry in advance, I know you get it all the time. But I don't know what "List" means. Is this something I would need to incorporate into the "functions.js" script?
List is basically like the name says it's a list of items separated by comma. As in the ResultList variable. You can then pick items out of the list and use them for various things. In this case you have a List of all the possible results like in my example 8 possible results for the 8 sided die. Then when the dice rolls it takes one from the list.

It doesn't need incorporated in functions.js it was added to MapTool build 42. For a list of the commands you can find it at this link http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=5437

brunnjon
Kobold

Post by brunnjon »

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

brunnjon
Kobold

Post by brunnjon »

Everything seems to be working great.

Next question. Is there a way to Hide the list and the chosen list number and just spit out the result?

For the D30 it will show all 30 numbers on the list, then which list number it chose then finally the die roll related to the list number.

Like I said, it's great...does exactly what I NEED it to do. So...not griping :) But can I clean it up a bit?

knizia.fan
Giant

Post by knizia.fan »

brunnjon wrote:Everything seems to be working great.

Next question. Is there a way to Hide the list and the chosen list number and just spit out the result?

For the D30 it will show all 30 numbers on the list, then which list number it chose then finally the die roll related to the list number.

Like I said, it's great...does exactly what I NEED it to do. So...not griping :) But can I clean it up a bit?
Begin the things you want to hide with H:

For example,

[H: DiceRoll = 1d8-1]

brunnjon
Kobold

Post by brunnjon »

Gods among men...all of you. Thanks all. This was the only thing we needed to figure out...and it's perfect. Thanks!

Return to “DiceTool”