A Peaceful Farm

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

thelevitator
Dragon

A Peaceful Farm

Post by thelevitator »

Here's another loop I created as a background environment. The area that my group is in right now is a string of small rural thorpes and hamlets. It's also about 5 minutes long.

http://www.spelz.biz/PeacefulFarm.mp3
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

heruca
Dragon

Post by heruca »

As I commented on the zombie track, I think you can get a better effect by spacing out your sounds more.

In this case, the animal noises are packed so close together (particularly at the start), it sounds anything BUT peaceful.

Great sounds, though.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Another nice file!

I agree with Heruca though - sometime the ambient sounds are better if they pop in from time to time. Leave the crickets, wind, leaves, rain and other constant sounds to create the mood.

I have an ocean one that I created; it has a looped ocean water sound and wind. I think I set the sea gulls to make noice randomly every 20-35 seconds. This way it doesn't sound like I am getting attacked by the birds :)

Great stuff though! Thanks for giving to the community!

Maybe we should make that SoundTool Trevor! :)
J/K - I know you have no resources left. :)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Maybe we should make that SoundTool Trevor! :)
Sounds like you guys have got good solutions for that already ;)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Yeah, I whipped these together pretty quick. I'm going to redo them and make them more backgroundy.

One of the things I like about Battlegrounds is the idea of attaching sounds to objects. I loved it the first time I dropped the animated campfire into a scene and I could hear the crackling fire!

It would be awesome if you could link background loops and music soundtracks with some kind of triggering mechanism in Maptools. Imagine pulling up a map of a crypt, and the creepy background and spooky music starts. Then, when the players enter the tomb, clicking on the tomb door triggers a low creaking sound. And when the ghost rises out of the casket to warn the party of their transgression, you could click on the ghost and trigger either an eerie magical spell kind of sound or better yet, a prerecorded message from the ghost that the party hears complete with echo effect! Then, when you make the zombies appear to kill the party, clicking on the zombies triggers their moaning and groaning and when you click on a certain spot in the room, it triggers the combat music and sound effects.

That would be my dream of audio integration to the game. Instead of having to run a separate program to run audio and have to constantly monitor it, it would be much better to be able to create triggers right on the maps that would link to sound effects and music. I've actually used the prerecorded message thing in the past ( I have a bunch of really cool audio tools that allow me to change my voice to sound like anything from a demon to a halfling) and it's a great way to highlight an important moment in a game. One time I used it when the BBEG the party had been hunting down for months had finally been cornered and he began to change into his true form. While I was describing his alteration, I played the track of his "death speech" to the players in a creepy demon voice. It really added to the encounter!

I know this would be a nitch thing and probably not high on the priority list, but is it even possible to create map triggers that link to audio files? If it is possible, can Java run multiple sound files simultaneously? Or, could you create a way for RPG Audiomixer (a Java based program) and Maptools to talk to one another so that you could start and stop sound in RPG Audiomixer through triggers in Maptool?

James Anthony

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Consider it planned :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

RAWK!

EDIT > BTW, any new news on the relative health indicator? <braces for smack upside the head for asking for the umpteenth time.....> :oops:

James Anthony

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

ImageImageImage
--
Big Mac

Return to “User Creations”