4e interactive sheet & utilities

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

DeviantNull
Dragon

4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by DeviantNull »

I'm editing and changing this opening post to better reflect what the framework has become. I'd like to think the 4th version is a good leap forward and don't want to confuse anyone new who finds this, so I've removed the links to the older versions.

First off, if you don't want to read the whole post, you can just down load the framework.

You can download a version 4-3 example campaign from
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mukudzmmx ... 20v4-3.zip
Or
http://rapidshare.com/files/299717263/E ... n_v4-3.zip

And if you just want the version 4-3 lib:tokens without the example campaign you can get them from
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kdgozjrt0 ... 20v4-3.zip
Or
http://rapidshare.com/files/299717775/L ... s_v4-3.zip

While not of great interest to new users, I'm also putting up the raw text files (they're a bit of a mess) of the macro's themselves (only current to 4-2).
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qxjmjygz5 ... 20v4-2.zip

So, what is this framework exactly? Well, the thread title is a little misleading, it is definitely an interactive sheet for 4e D&D. However, the utilities are now mostly entirely built into it, though there is still a robust suite of features here.

It allows you to enter in nearly all of a characters game information and manage it solely within Maptools. A good portion of a characters statistics are automatically managed by the framework; such as level, ability scores, skill values, hit points, weapon and armor values, and most importantly, power information. You can change a tokens weapons and the power information will update to match. You can change a tokens armor and their defense values will change. You can equip various magic items and have quick access to their various powers. It tracks power and item usage to notify you if a power has been expended. You have quick and easy access to nearly all the game information you need for your character and it can be shared and displayed to other users via links sent directly to chat.

It is effectively macro-less as well. There is no need for any additional macros as everything is managed within the character sheet or info frame. Selecting a different token in maptools will automatically change the sheet to the newly selected token.

Here are some screen shots showing various pages of the framework (Please disregard the posts after this one, their screen shots are sorely out of date.

This is the main stat page.
It has all the basic information you'd need on a character. Additionally, there are links on the ability scores and skills that provide immediate access to rolling them. There are also options to make the roll privately to the GM, add modifiers to the roll, and flag the roll as an aid other attempt.

You can also access the health manager from this page, spend a healing surge, make a saving throw, spend an action point, achieve a milestone, or view information on skills. There are also links to other pages in the header as well as links to commonly used functions so you have quick access to them.

There is a page for entering information about a characters racial and class features as well as feat information. This is unfortunately, text only, as there are far too many exceptions in feats for me to be able to easily account for all of them at this time.
Clicking on a feat will display it's full information in the info window. Feats can be used or shown to display a link in chat to allow others the ability to view it.

Next is the ritual page
Here you can keep track of ritual books and the rituals they hold, ritual scrolls, and components. Clicking on a ritual will display the ritual in the info window where you can view full information on it.

One of the most robust sections is the equipment page.
Here you can enter in all the game information for weapons, armor, magical items, and then equip them on the token. There is also a section for simple text entry of mundane equipment, a consumables section for simple things you want to keep count of, and a wealth section to keep track of all your hard won coin.

Clicking on a item will display the entered information on it in the info window. Items, Weapons, and Armor all support having magical effects on them and provide ways of customizing the items.

Lastly, we have powers. Here you can enter in all the details and game information on a power. The sheet allows for customizable groups to store the powers in, keeps track of used powers, and allows you to view information on a power, quickly use a power, or enter in extra modifiers for an attack power.
Clicking on a power will display all the entered information on it, as well as the calculated attack and damage values based upon current ability scores, level, and equipped items.

Using a power provides an option to enter in modifiers for the attack, and it supports multi-attacks with different modifiers for each attack.

When used, the power will display a link back to the power for full information, the attack and damage rolls and indicators if the roll is a critical hit or miss. It will also calculate the critical damage on a critical hit.

Optionally, powers can be set to output some, or all, of their power information to chat as well. There is also an entry area for putting in a separate shorter description.

And there's even an option to set powers to output links to states that can be set and managed via the sheet. This way you don't need to click on each token and turn it's MT states on and off. Additionally, these states can be managed directly from the sheet itself as well.

There is also a characters health can be managed via the sheet with a handy health manager. This allows you to do damage to a character, heal them, make saving throws, and take rests to reset your power and item usage.

Lastly, there is a simplified NPC sheet that can be set to allow a GM (or player) quick and immediate access to all of a NPC's relevant information on a single page.

There are several other things it can do, as well as features that can be customized. I can't go over all of them in this one post, but it comes with a ReadMe that explains (hopefully) in better detail how it works.

Older Versions
Example version 4-2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzhuntyyy ... 20v4-2.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/281429133/E ... n_v4-2.zip
Just Lib tokens version 4-2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mznmyoei1 ... 20v4-2.zip
http://rapidshare.com/files/281430931/L ... s_v4-2.zip
Fixed campaign props for version 4-2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zzmdhg0ym ... -2.mtmacro
http://rapidshare.com/files/281493184/C ... -2.mtmacro
Last edited by DeviantNull on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 25 times in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Re: 4e interactive sheet & utilities

Post by DeviantNull »

Now to powers. They're color coded to type and it has quick info for if it's basic, recharge conditions, action type, and range. Clicking the name will open a power frame that has the full power information as well as values before die rolls. Clicking on the name there will open an editor if you need to update it. There's also a short description that shows on the main list (but not the main power) as a quick reminder what a power does.

The last column has 2 options. The first is a quick use link that uses the power with no modifiers. The second opens a power use dialog box so you can add modifiers to the attack. Clicking on recharge from the main list makes a recharge roll for all powers that have a roll. If you click on the recharge link from the power itself it automatically recharges (so you can refresh powers that trigger on bloodied or similar).

The power box.

Power output is simply the name, attack and hit values, and the short desc. BUT the power name is a link that goes to the power. Anyone can click on it and it will load the power into their power box. It supports 1/2 attacks with different or the same weapon on each attack as well as multiple attacks. Multiple attacks all use the same weapon however. It will flag critical hits and automisses as well as calculate max critical damage. The multi-attack figures max damage but simply shows it and flags a critical hit as a critical.

It tracks encounter and daily powers, and when used greys out the power. It WILL still let you use it, but it flags the power as previously used in the chat box.

There is a power use frame. It also updates on token selection change. You can select which power to use (and if a NPC, make a recharge roll). It has quick info on which weapons are currently equipped.

After a power is selected you can select quick options for charging, combat advantage, cover, concealment, and raw +/- modifiers for attack and damage. The name is also a quick link to the power.

I did it this way since I have a somewhat small monitor. I can have the char sheet and power desc auto hide but leave the power use box up for GMing. When I change tokens it updates the box and I can easily select a power.

Okay, on to magic items. You get seperate slots for all body locations and can equip 1 item per slot, except for rings which accept 2. You can't equip weapons, armor, or wondrous items. The later for obvious reason, and the former two are sort of already handled by the equipment section. The two pages are not linked in anyway... maybe in the future.

Like the equipment page, clicking a tab opens it up. They're color coded for power type useage. If an item doesn't have a power it's tan. I couldn't find a better color, so I went with the color for the item header. :oops:

If you click the name it opens the item in the power window. Yes, the same window powers load in. Figure it's smarter to recycle then open yet another frame. It shows the property on the list, since those are always active. You have a link to wear if applicable and a use link that will output a link to the chat window so others can view the item. It also tracks usage and will grey out items that are used. If you're out of daily item usage it will grey out all daily items. You can still use them, it just flags the item in chat as used or out of uses.

Finished in the next post...
Last edited by DeviantNull on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Lastly I have two additional utilities.

First is the d20 dice roller. You can make ability, skill, save, initiative and just flat d20 rolls from it. It's built so you can cross roll abilities and skills. If you select an ability AND a skill it rolls that combination, otherwise it uses the regular ability associated with a skill.

And the health box thingy. It lets you do damage to a token, heal that damage, add temporary hit points (no support for stacking temp HP yet), spend a healing surge (with the option to not heal those points). Worth noting is that amount gets added onto a healing surge, so you can account for all those clerics and warlords who add additional. You can also select surge, check the no-heal, and then put a flat number into the box for healing potions.

You can also take a short rest (and spend X surges) and take an extended. Short recharge encounter stuff and reset temp HP and failed death saves. Extended reset everything, including milestones and action points.

I have a quick cheep macro that adds milestones and action points to a selected token.

And that's it. It's version 1.0 and still a little rough around the edges and the code is pretty sloppy in parts. Plus my HTML is crap so it's far from all sparkly and blingy.

Nadare
Cave Troll

Post by Nadare »

:shock: THIS is the rough, crappy HTML version??

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Nadare wrote::shock: THIS is the rough, crappy HTML version??
Yeah... uh... with the help of a bookmarked html tutorial page I mastered the fine art of tables. I still don't grok style sheets completely. I can do a background color for a cell and I can change text color, but anything else and I get lost. Plus I think I have some redundant stuff in places but I don't fully understand what I'm doing, I just keep trying stuff till something works.

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

omg that is awesome!
If i ever run a 4e camp i'll get this.
also just a question, but would you consider doing a 3.5 version at all?

Mal
Mal

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Malekith wrote:omg that is awesome!
If i ever run a 4e camp i'll get this.
also just a question, but would you consider doing a 3.5 version at all?
Gonna have to decline on the 3.5 version, since I don't really play it. 4e sort of brought me back to the fold, but that's neither here nor there. Unfortunately, they're different enough that it would be a rather significant change. Sorry. But aren't there one or two others around here working on some really good 3.5 stuff?

On an unrelated note, but if anyone has downloaded it, I forgot I left my personal token updater on the macro panel. It won't do anything other then likely prompt for numerous values so it can safely be deleted. I'll update the campaign file later.

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

fe, just thought it'd be nice to see.
I do use one of the others' macro sets for 3.5 but this seemed to have a slight edge, i love the one i got but this is nice.
Plus i'm not really into 4e, looked at the rules and they seem too babyish to me - i like the simplicity but also hate it at the same time. But i'll still play it...

Mal
Mal

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

Standing Ovation

Simple, easy, complete

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Doh! I forgot to mention something sort of really important, I didn't remember it until was doing up some new tokens for my game...

It will display the Notes & GM notes (only npc tokens show the gm tab option) but due to the buggy way those functions work a token has to have something in there for it to display, even if it's just a space or something.

So if anyone out there was trying it, that's likely why it wouldn't open a character sheet for a new token.

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

Is there a GM tool Page?

How do you adjust milestones?

Perhaps a different view/sheet for Npcs? I really think the npcs are so different from pcs that the sheet should be like the stat blocks given in the book. Quick and simple.

What do you think?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Simplyme wrote:What do you think?
It was something I kicked around. I should be able to do it by forking which page loads based on token type, not too terribly hard actually. Half the reason I have the health, die roll, and useage frames is I have limited screen space and the sheet is kind of big so it's easier to keep quick use things open when GMing. But if I add pop up dialog boxes for modifiers I could get everything to run off the sheet. Going to a NPC sheet would condense things.

I need to clean out some bugs in the code that I discovered during tonights game, mainly in the power usage code, first though. The output goes a little wonky when modifiers are used for some reason and may not be totaling correctly. And multiattcks need a default # of attacks for quick use, I some how over looked that.

But this is what first versions are for. :D

Edited to actually answer the question...

AP/Milestones were one of those bits I neglected and forgot about after putting in. They autorest, but players have no way to add (for GM peace of mind, IIRC). I thought I stuck in a quick macro that adds 1ap and milestone to the selected token. If not I'll include it when I fix and reupload.

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

Ok, I'm an idiot!

For those of you who didn't notice either.

All of the macros for operating and displaying the frames are on the campaign macros page...

I rarely use it so I didn't see it....

Simplyme
Cave Troll

Post by Simplyme »

When you delete a ritual it seems to delete ALL rituals.

Any ideas about this?

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

Simplyme wrote:When you delete a ritual it seems to delete ALL rituals.

Any ideas about this?
Yes, it's a bug. I forgot to add the ~ to the deleteStrProp so it wipes the whole thing. A silly and stupid mistake.

Good news. I've almost got the revision done that stomps out all the bugs I could find (and there were quite a few). I also cleaned up the layout in places, especially dialog boxes and got them to open to fixed sizes. Everything should scale to the box size, they just open so you can see everything.

It's mildly incomparable with the 1st version in that it adds a few more values...

Also I'm realizing that while I tried to make things intuitive, I did a horrible job explaining exactly how to USE it. Including simple stuff like 'the buttons on the campaign tab since they're global and tokens don't need macros'

Most of it's straightforward, but I neglected to mention important stuff like how weapon damage and power damage work. Power damage overrides weapon damage, if the power damage is a die code. If power damage is just a single number it's a weapon dice multiplier. If it's empty it just defaults to 1. So for a regular power you can just leave it empty. If it does 2W you just put a 2 in and what ever you have equipped gets multiplied by 2. If you're a wizard you put in 3d6 or whatever and it uses that damage instead of what you have equipped.

I should have the new one posted later tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”