Library of (insert genera here) objects

Talk about whatever topic you'd like, RPG related or not. (But please discuss things related to our software in the Tools section, below.)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Benz72
Giant

Library of (insert genera here) objects

Post by Benz72 »

Sorry for the dumb question, but I've just gotten maptool and have been going through the tutorials trying to learn how to make these maps. The images available seem a LOT more varied in the demos than what comes in the default. Is there a library of objects for various game types that can be downloaded as a batch? I'm hunting through the forums for stuff, but it seems really slow and not at all comprehensive. For instance, is there a folder hidden somewhere with 10 trees, 10 bushes, 10 rocks, ...? Does everybody just pick through all this stuff 1 picture at a time? Would anybody with a fairly robust library be willing to post/e-mail/FTP/smoke-signal it out?

Thanks for any pointers.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Library of (insert genera here) objects

Post by jfrazierjr »

Benz72 wrote:Sorry for the dumb question, but I've just gotten maptool and have been going through the tutorials trying to learn how to make these maps. The images available seem a LOT more varied in the demos than what comes in the default. Is there a library of objects for various game types that can be downloaded as a batch? I'm hunting through the forums for stuff, but it seems really slow and not at all comprehensive. For instance, is there a folder hidden somewhere with 10 trees, 10 bushes, 10 rocks, ...? Does everybody just pick through all this stuff 1 picture at a time? Would anybody with a fairly robust library be willing to post/e-mail/FTP/smoke-signal it out?

Thanks for any pointers.
No, there is nothing in Maptool, but what you see.

However, there are more than a few internet sites that have free or paid stuff you can get. The biggest and fastest is probably the CSUAS over at gmsapprentice.com. Have a good connection, there is over 1 GB of stuff over there in maybe 8-10 packs. Also RPGmapshare has a good assorment of stuff, but most of it is and this to the cart, add that to the cart... down load entire cart type stuff, so a lot of manual time. fouruglymonsters also has some free stuff as well as stuff to buy.... I am sure there are plenty of others, but thats what I know off the top of my head.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

For what it's worth, I've compiled a big library by the method given above, and am currently organizing and resizing it for best use in maptool, possibly together with a text file on some useful info. I'll then upload it to an FTP site for people to dl for free.

.... but that's not ready yet. I'll let you (and everybody) know when it is.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Awesome Plo!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

One of the best ways to start (at least, the way I started that made it pretty easy to start playing around with MapTools) was to find the Dungeon Tiles Zip file that Wizards of the Coast made available for their "Dungeon Tile Mapper" program. They are scaled for maps where one square is 32x32 pixels, but you can scale them up with ImageMagick.

It's a zip file of 3 sets of tiles for dungeons and one outdoors tile set. Unfortunately, Wizards' site seems to be down at the moment, but I can shoot the zip file (already scaled to a 50x50 grid, which is what MapTool uses by default) to you if you're interested. As far as I know that won't be violating any rules or regs.

It's a 7MB zip file.

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

This is a good thread to look at:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=1156
As is anything in the User Creations forum

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Ah, Wizards is back up - if you go to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t, you can download the zipped file that contains the program. In there is a directory called Tiles. That's where the images are.

You'll need to resize the images to 50x50 to work best with MapTools. This can be done with ImageMagick (www.imagemagick.org) pretty quickly, and you've got a good basic set of tiles.

Ayronis
Kobold

Post by Ayronis »

There is actually a newer version of the Tile-mapper you mentioned. It contains several new tile-sets and a variety of improved features. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I only discovered it because of this thread.

http://www.jailoco.net/jai.hordelings/d ... mapper.htm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions in here. I am going to play around with this stuff and see what I come up with.

AlterForm
Giant

Post by AlterForm »

Ayronis wrote:There is actually a newer version of the Tile-mapper you mentioned. It contains several new tile-sets and a variety of improved features. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I only discovered it because of this thread.

http://www.jailoco.net/jai.hordelings/d ... mapper.htm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions in here. I am going to play around with this stuff and see what I come up with.
Image Image Image

mnology
Kobold

Post by mnology »

I found out about Maptool a few weeks ago and experienced the same problem you did. Unfortunatly due to some behevioral tick I couldn't get started until I had programatically sucked in every object from the Dundjinni & RPTools forums and organized them.

Here they are as a torrent to distribute the load(2.3G 23k files). The sorted hierarchy can get pretty deep and there came a time when I had to just stop organizing the stuff. So the tokens aren't organized. I gave up when I was mostly organizing SciFi/modern stuff, but the Fantasy stuff is pretty well organized.

RPG Mapping Objects/Textures/Overlays

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

pleease can we get a few more seeds on this please.
it's not running too bad atm, but i'm devoting my whole internet use to it and a teeny tiny bit to msn and it's a sunday so those few seeds we have are on. we need more to improve it overall. it's not dreadful (its only 2.7G and running solely you can get avg.60kb/s) but its only just on the edge of my patience guage :|
thanks, :D

Mal
Mal

Crudeboy
Giant

Post by Crudeboy »

Seeding now.
Nixon's Theorem:

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on."

Orchard
Great Wyrm

Post by Orchard »

Crudeboy wrote:Seeding now.
Once I have it I'll seed this periodically (as in whenever I have my computer on and I remember to start utorrent).

I have a decent upload speed, so that should help.
0+0=1, for very unstable CPUs.

wyrmwood
Dragon

Re:

Post by wyrmwood »

mnology wrote:I found out about Maptool a few weeks ago and experienced the same problem you did. Unfortunatly due to some behevioral tick I couldn't get started until I had programatically sucked in every object from the Dundjinni & RPTools forums and organized them.
This torrent is too small. I used a web site downloader to do the same, but not from RPTools, just Dundjinni. I pulled over the image files and the zips, then recursively unzipped and deleted all zips. I only pulled the "uploads" folder (not accessible directly from the web site) and just my Dundjinni images are 7GB after unzipping.

I have not further organized them because they are neatly in the creators' folders. This way, should I want to post something or disseminate it in some way, I could contact the owner. Once you start organizing them, that becomes difficult at best as you can't tell who the art came from and you can't search by image name on the Dundjinni forums. I also use Windows search to find the images (I DO NOT add them to my resource library), so leaving them organized by creator works for me.

Since technically, these were publicly available, I wouldn't mind sharing, but someone would have to tell me where to upload it, as my ISP's not fast enough to seed it from my computer. As far as I recall, the uploaded images are not necessarily copyright free, though they are free to use for personal use.

Alternatively, you can download them yourself using WSD, just start in the forums and only have images and compressed files on. (I think it took about a week for mine to finish with my slow ISP :))

fightclubtb
Kobold

Post by fightclubtb »

hey guys, just joined up. this seems like the treasure trove I am looking for, its even mentioned on the FAQ, but can more people please seed the 2gb file?

thanks!
Jeff

Return to “General Discussion”