Suggestion

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dorpond
RPTools Team

Suggestion

Post by dorpond »

When Phergus, BigMac and Steel where helping me test the other night, I stumbled across an idea that would make the GM's job a whole lot easier.

A new drawing tool. Actually it wouldn't draw at all; instead, you would draw out and area and everything within that area would be copied. Then we could place that copy anywhere on the map as a stamp.

The reason for my thoughts. You know that Tower Tavern level that I made with the stage? Well in my version, the certains were closed. It would have been soo cool if I could have been able to copy a section of the stage floor and then simply stamped that over the curtains to make them go away. We could also use that tool to open a secret area of a wall - we simply copy an area of the floor and simply stamp it over the wall - we just opened it. Yeah, I know it won't have all the shading on the walls in that area but sometime the GM needs quick tools to make the game flow fast. This would definately make things fast.

We could also use this same idea to cover things on the floor. If we are using a map created with all of the object hardcoded into the map, we could easily make that bag, body or whatever disappear on the floor with a copy tool without having to worry if it is a stamp or not.

Thanks for listening.

Nomad3k
Cave Troll

Post by Nomad3k »

I was wondering whether there should be tokens with two images to cover things like doors and curtains? You could get the token to flip between the two images when the door/curtain/chest is opened and closed.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

And that is a great idea if you made the map from the get-go and have two different pictures of the object.

But in the case where we are using a map supplied and created by someone else, we have no control because everything on the map is hardcoded.

So many maps I grab from community sites are works of art, completely filled with animals, chests, cups, doors closed, etc.. We need a quick way of changing the state of these objects. Erasing will leave an erase line so that won't work -the only way I can see is to copy a part of the floor and stamp it over the object that we want to go bye-bye.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Nomad3k wrote:I was wondering whether there should be tokens with two images to cover things like doors and curtains? You could get the token to flip between the two images when the door/curtain/chest is opened and closed.
This will certainly be the case. It may not exactly match the need dorpond has though.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

This is actually a tricky feature. Think about this: you are in an unbounded map, zoom waaaaaaaaay out, create a large area to copy. That's gonna take a huge amount of memory. And then transferring it, and saving it, that's gonna get ugly.

There might be some ways to optimize it, I'll need to digest it for a bit.

I'll put in a tracker so the request doesn't get lost.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:This is actually a tricky feature. Think about this: you are in an unbounded map, zoom waaaaaaaaay out, create a large area to copy. That's gonna take a huge amount of memory. And then transferring it, and saving it, that's gonna get ugly.

There might be some ways to optimize it, I'll need to digest it for a bit.

I'll put in a tracker so the request doesn't get lost.
I was thinking small areas and bound maps like in this example:
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... PN=1&TPN=1

I would be able to copy a part of the altar and cover the sword that the party picked up. If the copy function is no good for you Trevor, a Clone Stamp Tool will do the same thing without your need to worry about a user copying too much.

Return to “MapTool”