Suggestion: Copy and Paste between apps

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dorpond
RPTools Team

Suggestion: Copy and Paste between apps

Post by dorpond »

It would be great if I could copy an object within Maptool and paste it within Photoshop or other apps. And vice versa.

Any reason why the copy paste doesn't work outside of Maptool?

The reason: Sometimes I take objects found on the web and drop them within Maptool. Then I will make a campaign file but then I find that I want to edit the object in Photoshop but I cannot because I don't have the original file.

Thoughts?

Maybe they are in the file system somewhere and I can get them that way?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

The reason it doesn't work right now is because copy and paste is really a construct and not automatic.

There is a concept of a "clipboard" that exists outside of the running java instance that you can put stuff in and take stuff out of.

I can imagine that when you copy a token I could also put the image data into the system clipboard. That way you can paste into an art program.

But the other way around is trickier: copy a token in maptool, then copy an image in photoshop, the token is in the MT internal clipboard while the photoshop image is in the system clipboard, which one should be pasted ?

Hmmm, I suppose I could use the system clipboard to store the tokens instead of the internal one. It might be tricky since it stores tokens, and not images. Might have to mess around with the data flavor type, see if I can make that work.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I added a tracker so I won't forget to investigate later
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”