Another Idea: Distance Measurement in 3D

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
dorpond
RPTools Team

Another Idea: Distance Measurement in 3D

Post by dorpond »

OK, I play high level campaigns where mages are usually flying every encounter.

As you know we have height now to worry about but the big issue is that I have is figuring how far the player is to the enemy.

Basically, what I do is at the gaming table is figure out the Hypotenuse (A squared + B squared = C squared) and then I know the distance between player and foe.

When we eventually have a height setting for our tokens, can you also have the measuring tool figure out the proper distance?

Just wanted to put this on paper before I forgot about it.

Fobbo
Giant

Post by Fobbo »

This would be a great freature as I ran into the same issue when I ran my high level campaign.

I however did not calculate it I used a chart that would give me the distance that worked well. Dorpond if you want this chart I can send it to you.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Another Idea: Distance Measurement in 3D

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: When we eventually have a height setting for our tokens, can you also have the measuring tool figure out the proper distance?
Totally :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Kershek
Cave Troll

Post by Kershek »

As a usability suggestion, you could do something like hold down a key combo, such as ctrl and alt together, and then when you move the mouse it will lock on the square and give it a height that increases and decreases.

Any campaigns with 3rd level spells have the the potential to go 3d, and it can get quite messy on a battlemat when you start throwing in spheres for spell effects.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It's come up a couple of times IMC. I use the token state that draws a circle around the token (is that "Incapacitated"?) to mark a creature that is flying, then I let the player/GM remember what the height of the creature is.

In terms of measuring 3D distances... Hmm. I like the idea of holding a key combination and having mouse movements north/south (meaning screen directions) become height adjustments.

Given my predilection for using the keyboard, another option would be a keystroke that puts the selected token(s) into "Height Adjustment Mode," and then the up/down arrows would do the same thing...

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Azhrei wrote: Given my predilection for using the keyboard, another option would be a keystroke that puts the selected token(s) into "Height Adjustment Mode," and then the up/down arrows would do the same thing...
I'd prefer something like this too
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

As long as it is mouse friendly too. We only pass around a mouse at our gaming table.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:As long as it is mouse friendly too. We only pass around a mouse at our gaming table.
How does the mouse feel about that?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Phergus wrote: How does the mouse feel about that?
:lol:

Not sure, I didn't pick that language. But I can speak infernal, auran, goblin, orc, giant and undercommon!

:wink:

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

dorpond wrote:Not sure, I didn't pick that language. But I can speak infernal, auran, goblin, orc, giant and undercommon! :wink:
Undercommon. Is that related to Undertoad?

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

I think Undercommon is what passes for english in most of America ;)
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “MapTool”