[MRL] Tileset - Crypt (Mostly complete...)

Show off your RPG maps, campaigns, and tokens. Share your gaming experiences and stories under General Discussion and save this forum for things you've created that may help others run their own games. Use the subforums when appropriate.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Gamerdude

Brigand
Read-only User

[MRL] Tileset - Crypt (Mostly complete...)

Post by Brigand »

Download - MRL.Tileset - The Crypt ver 1.0

* Legal Disclaimer - This tileset is covered under the Creative Commons license. The tileset may only be redistributed non-commercially as is without modification as long credit is attributed to me "dark.brigand (at) comcast.net".

What is this?
This is the first tileset release for MRL (the MapTool Resource Library) that I am trying to put together. The tileset is designed for worked stone dungeons, with a cool brown color theme. Texture 28 from the Background Texture package is a good one to use for old, moldy crypts. Be sure to grab the translucent grid from that page as well. I made it after uploading that texture pack.

There are 77 tiles, most of which are 300px by 300px and created for a grid size of 100px in MapTool. They take up only 5mb of memory. There's also a small number of odd shaped tiles, to allow for greater control of room size and corridor lengths in tightly packed dungeons.

Tips & Tricks
Almost all the tiles have four variations, so that you don't have to rotate anything. The reason for this, is so that the shaded parts on the stones all match up perfectly throughout the map. Rotating a piece alters the direction the light/shading comes from and will be a source of aggravation to OCD people like me. ^_^;

Drawing VBL
Because of the size of the grid and the tileset, it can be a little difficult to draw the VBL straight down the middle of the tiles and where they meet. However, if you change the grid to 50px per square, it cuts all the tiles in half and allows you to use snap-to-grid lines right down the middle, to the corners, and along the ends. This speeds up the creation of the dungeon tremendously.

Just don't worry about objects and tokens resizing and moving on the object layer. That always happens and they will return to their old sizes and positions when you change the grid size back to 100px per square.
Last edited by Brigand on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brigand
Read-only User

Re: [MRL] Tileset - Crypt (Complete)

Post by Brigand »

Also, if anyone makes any maps with this tileset, please post some examples of interesting rooms you've created. And darnit!! I just realized an awesome use of the walls without the backfill texture!! This could double the number of tiles again. The idea I had is to show different elevations with floor textures behind the wall instead of dirt and stairs (which I needed to add anyway).

The sunburst, pit, and magic circle came from Torston's bits and pieces in his album.
Attachments
sample_crypt.jpg
sample_crypt.jpg (196.59 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
Last edited by Brigand on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

OooOO! Very cryptographic. :)

No, wait.... I don't think that's what I meant to say.
I cast firecube! ~4E

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Congratulation Brigand, this is a lovely set. Glad to see my sunburst mosaic getting a bit of use too :)

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Thank you. I just wish I would stop getting ideas for additional tiles!

Brigand
Read-only User

Re: [MRL] Tileset - Crypt (Mostly complete...)

Post by Brigand »

Updated my second post with a new image of the tileset in use with some of the objects I've made for it. Again, the sunburst and magic ring are from Torston.

wyrmwood
Dragon

Post by wyrmwood »

Looks nice. Thanks for sharing :) Is this planned for 1.4 as a default tile package?

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

You have to talk to Trevor about it. It's not complete enough imo though. I've still got stairs and elevations to add, which will take an evening or two.

FdL
Giant

Post by FdL »

Excellent stuff, I like it.

I have a question though, what is the optimal size to use textures in MT? I downloaded your texture pack, but I look at them and they seem too big. I thought of resizing them.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Change your grid to 100px and zoom out a little. I did this because I like quality over performance.

FdL
Giant

Post by FdL »

100px is a bit too big for me to use. I might batch-resize the textures. My question was more along the lines of memory usage.
I guess having smaller textures would make it use less memory, am I right?

Edit: I think it'd be cool for doors (and along them maybe walls too) to have a version of the doorway that's just one square. That way you can make stuff to be right next door, instead of having the doorway take its own square (bleh, I think these are called interior walls).

I was wondering too what's the advantage performance and transfer-wise of using these kind of maps over using a big raster image for a map.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Technically, I could create this tileset with around 20 images. Maybe a few more, but the shadows wouldn't match when you rotate pieces. The benefit of using tiles over a single image, is that MapTool only references the tiles used... once. You could make a huge 5mb png/jpg and use it as a map... or you could use 5mb of tiles and build the map as big as you want it. Ten times the size of the single image.

That's the benefit.

Can you clarify what you mean about doors and a single tile?

FdL
Giant

Post by FdL »

As shown in that map, doorways take up only the space of a grid line, instead of a whole square on their own like in yours. Both options are useful, of course. Also there's the possibility of having a line-sized wall, so you can have it separate two rooms that are on adjacent tiles.

On the benefits, I can see the thing about the size, and it's great, since it also allows for more detailed maps than a single image would allow. Also the size, you could make huge maps with tiles, whereas the size of a raster map is usually restricted by size and quality.

Honestly I find this way of making maps easier than Dundjinni. And yields equally good results, if not better.

A question though, in actual in-MT use, one would have these as a resource library, no? Then drag and drop from there?

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

Yes, you would use these in MapTool as part of the resource library and dragon drop them into the map. I'm actually planning on adding single line wide "walls" to the tileset after tonight's game. Maybe have some for testing tomorrow after work.

FdL
Giant

Post by FdL »

Brigand wrote:Yes, you would use these in MapTool as part of the resource library and dragon drop them into the map. I'm actually planning on adding single line wide "walls" to the tileset after tonight's game. Maybe have some for testing tomorrow after work.
That would be great. Thanks for your work, this is a very valuabla asset for everyone who uses Maptool.

Return to “User Creations”