Music Tool or does anyone know of any programs out there?

We are always looking for new tools to create to help facilitate the table top gaming experience. Let us know if you have an idea for a new gaming tool you'd like to see. (Note: this is NOT for feature requests on existing tools!)

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

God Returns
Cave Troll

Re: Music Tool or does anyone know of any programs out there?

Post by God Returns »

When I used Vent, I could use iTunes in the background (turned down) and still hear people talking, so I don't see why you couldn't produce two types of sound at once. I may just be misunderstanding this.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

I actually run two instances of ventrilo, one for my own voice chat, and the other that captures the line-in into which my MP3 player is patched. I mute the line-in on my output volume control so that I can hear how it sounds coming from the Ventrilo server.

If you use the Wave input, the players will hear themselves as well as any system sounds that are generated by the OS and any running applications.
Kristian

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Yeah that is what that thread said. You have to run 2 client version of Vent for it to work. That way each is its own process and can share the resources of the sound card.
--
Big Mac

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

I thought there was talk a looooonnnnngggg time ago about being able to attach sound files to objects, much like images, that a player could listen to by clicking the token (or right-clicking, and selecting "play sound file").

Something like that would be really cool, particularly if there was an option to set the the sound to autoplay when the object is made visible. So, when the party stumbles on a monster, they hear it and see it when the GM makes it visible. Or a GM could pre-record the BBEG's pithy "get ready to die" speech, and either attach it to the token, or drop an object on the map for the players to click on to hear it.

Having sound built in to MT would also be a great way for the GM to have music in their game, and be able to switch things up easily, by clicking on objects on the map. But I think that would need an option to "play to all", or "play to individual".

This may all be wishful thinking for all I know. But the implementation of adding sound files to MT would be pretty killer! :)
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Big_Mac wrote:Yeah that is what that thread said. You have to run 2 client version of Vent for it to work. That way each is its own process and can share the resources of the sound card.
My point was more about using the line-in as the other source than it was about running two instances of Ventrilo.

Most posts are talking about trying to play files from a media player application and grabbing the audio from the system output rather than capturing an input stream from an external device.
Kristian

Big_Mac
Dragon

Post by Big_Mac »

Amaril wrote:
Big_Mac wrote:Yeah that is what that thread said. You have to run 2 client version of Vent for it to work. That way each is its own process and can share the resources of the sound card.
My point was more about using the line-in as the other source than it was about running two instances of Ventrilo.

Most posts are talking about trying to play files from a media player application and grabbing the audio from the system output rather than capturing an input stream from an external device.
Sorry misunderstood :oops: . The multi method may work for that too one session for each input. Mic, Line In, Wav. May crush your CPU at some point though :shock:
--
Big Mac

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Big_Mac wrote:Sorry misunderstood :oops: . The multi method may work for that too one session for each input. Mic, Line In, Wav. May crush your CPU at some point though :shock:
True, but you really shouldn't use Wav at all. Wav will include what you hear from various applications or your OS as well as from audio received via Ventrilo. That means that when someone on the other end speaks, capturing your Wav source will include that output and send it back to them.
Kristian

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

thelevitator wrote: But the implementation of adding sound files to MT would be pretty killer! :)
yeah, that would be sweet, especially since you wouldn't have to fool with a 2nd application. there's a lot to be said for having everything in 1 place.

I really want to run a d6 Star Wars game, and the music & sound effects are such an important part of that universe ... being able to surprise players with a the sound of a sudden blaster bolt or the Imperial March would be awesome. In fact, I'm really hesitant to do such a game online without an easy way of generating audio.

Alternately ... you're playing the 'Savage Tide' AP from Dungeon from a couple of years ago, and the players are treated to select sound clips from Jurassic Park!

Can we still donate money to have specific features bumped up in priority? I'm really tempted on this one!!

Metzik
Cave Troll

Post by Metzik »

How about being able to have background music and sfx. Background music that changes/triggs when the players reach different areas ie towns, houses, inns. Like in the HOMM games! That'd be cool! Somekind of music/sfx plugn maybe... :D

And of course as a overkill thing would be to have different SF triggered by for instance different parts of a d20, like one sound for 1-5, another one for 6-10 and so on, displaying how intense a hit would be or a fail and so on!

sprtdrgnlvr
Kobold

Post by sprtdrgnlvr »

There may be a reason why they have yet to do so, encoding music and music and sound into a program is kind of a pain in the...

Well, A much simpler point. if all you were trying to stream was .wav and .mp3 files, the program may be kinda big, but at the same time. Streaming music is a pain, especialy with sync and timeout issues.

I am willing to help with the programming, I happen to have the free time...
the three file types I'll try for are .wav .mp3 .mid

then if the programmers of rp tools happen to like it, they may tear it up and use it however they like.....all i ask for is just a wee bit of credit....:P
"Is it bad when you can use someone's coffee as your creamer?"

A Quote by Jessica Clymer (a.k.a. JenRyu Ikara)

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Would it be too much to ask for wma and m4a?
Kristian

sprtdrgnlvr
Kobold

Post by sprtdrgnlvr »

not really, just note that those formats are bandwidth heavy, and even if your on the receiving end. if you are running torrents and the like, things may get a bit choppy...as it all has to do with connection speed, router process handling and front bus of your computer as too many sound programs tends to make windows have a conniption fit
"Is it bad when you can use someone's coffee as your creamer?"

A Quote by Jessica Clymer (a.k.a. JenRyu Ikara)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, I would suggest starting with the MIDI stuff first as it tends to be the smallest, assuming that the instrument configuration has already been done. And for MapTool, having that in the base download would bump up the size but it would allow for each individual sound clip to then be very tiny.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

MIDI is useless, IMHO. I want sound effects and at least MP3 support. Who the heck wants to play MIDI music during their games? Heck first thing I do when I install audio drivers is mute the MIDI source and hide it in my audio control panel.
Kristian

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Really? I guess it depends. I've heard some very good multi-track MIDI stuff, but beyond some of the simple things I've done with it I don't know very much about it, so you could be right that it's limited. :?:

Return to “Ideas for New Applications”