MapTool 1.3 Devlopment Build 59

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Goonalan
Giant

Re: MapTool 1.3 Devlopment Build 59

Post by Goonalan »

trevor wrote:OK, so it isn't the new java jars, which puts the issue squarely on the drivers.

Try turning Aero off, see if that helps
What is Aero? How do I do this?

And thanks for helping.

PDR
Read the Friday Knights Storyhour at http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 38&start=0 now with added pictures, the 4e related adventures and shenanigans of a bunch of ne'erdowells playing via Maptools.

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

DrPenguin wrote:Couple of things and thoughts:

* add the start command to the start of the batch file commands to kill off the CMD window that is spawned (if you run them from windows explorer/a shortcut) when Maptool starts, thus:

start javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-*.jar run

* Remember to remove your old v58 JAR file from the directory or it will keep running that in preference to your new v59. :oops:

* I can't reliably reproduce it yet, but occasionally when I change the Pen Width and immediately draw a line I'll either get: a line drawn at the old width, which stays; or a line drawn at the old width which subsequently then changes to the new width.

Other than that, it's been pretty bombproof for me :D

Did the first two, the Java box thing (CMD window) flips off and I go straight to the same problem, see previous images.

Thanks for trying, I appreciate it.

Cheers Paul
Read the Friday Knights Storyhour at http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 38&start=0 now with added pictures, the 4e related adventures and shenanigans of a bunch of ne'erdowells playing via Maptools.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Post by Notsonoble »

Goonalan wrote:
trevor wrote:OK, so it isn't the new java jars, which puts the issue squarely on the drivers.

And thanks for helping.

PDR
Aero is the new fancy transparent windows in Vista, right click on the desktop, go to personalize, go to appearance and choose Windows Classic as the theme...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

Notsonoble wrote:
Goonalan wrote:

And thanks for helping.

PDR
Aero is the new fancy transparent windows in Vista, right click on the desktop, go to personalize, go to appearance and choose Windows Classic as the theme...
Turned Transparency off, changed to Windows Classic.

Maptools, see image, not working as previously.

Version 56 still works when I download it.

But not 57, 58 or 59- they all do exactly the same thing, see image.

Sorry if this is frustrating for you, I appreciate all the help you are giving me, I feel like a bit of an idiot, however I've not done anything different. I've been a weekly user since version 30-something, I'm trying to make it work honest.

Cheers Paul

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Goonalan wrote: Sorry if this is frustrating for you
Heh, I'm more worried about _you_ getting frustrated :)
Goonalan wrote: Version 56 still works when I download it.

But not 57, 58 or 59- they all do exactly the same thing, see image.
This part perplexes me though. So b56 works fine. Weird. I can't think of anything that happened in b56 that would cause that.

Let's try some less obvious things. Go to your user directory (c:\users\<yourusername>) and rename the .maptool diretory to .maptool.bak.

Then restart MT, and see what happens.

No need to post a screenshot, just let us know whether that helps or not ;)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes oh baby, you absolute ******* beauty...

Can I buy you something nice.

Obviously I've only had the chance to load one campaign file and have a play around but that looks to be the source of my woe...

YES! GET IN THERE.

I love you, no really.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Goonalan wrote:Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ...... <snip>
I take it refreshing the data directory fixed the problem ?

My suspicion was that for whatever reason the layout was frying while trying to load. Not sure why that would happen, but glad it's working for you :)

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

trevor wrote:
Goonalan wrote:Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes ...... <snip>
I take it refreshing the data directory fixed the problem ?

My suspicion was that for whatever reason the layout was frying while trying to load. Not sure why that would happen, but glad it's working for you :)
Ah but no, now it's doing something very bad again.

Copied a load of my old campaign files into a seperate folder (so as not to mess with the originals).

Loaded one up- fine.

Played with it a bit.

Then Save as (or Save).

Get the message 'you are saving an old format you may lose some data doing this"

Ok

New Campaign

Go to Open campaign to load the newly saved campaign- all looks right in the preview window.

Load new file and I have diddly squat, the file is the same size as previous- 8meg or whatever, there's only one map available- Grassland and the screen is black; and all of my work is gone.

Although actually looking at it again I just think it isn't opening anything, in the corner it just states

Maptool [Default]

Rather than

Maptool [Campaign Name]

Go to OPen Campaign and in the preview window it's still there.

If I open a campaign file I haven't saved in 59 then it works fine, as soon as I save it in 59 I cannot open it again.

LOL, someone must really hate me.

Paul

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmmm, were you saving with b50 compatibility mode on ? My guess is that when I removed that property, it's having trouble resolving it, and blowing up.

I can put a transient property into b60 that will fix that, in the mean time we can manually fix that, but I"m going to have to tinker a bit when I get home to get you the exact change.

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

Superb, can I pay you money, is there anything I can do to help, not the PC stuff because... gah- fiendish-tricksy-devil-box.

But any other jobs that I can do?

Cheers Paul

trevor

Post by trevor »

Could you email me one of your smaller campaigns that won't load up ? [email protected]

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

I would do only I just restarted my machine and re-opened 59 and it seems to be okay...

Ignore me for a bit I'm going to try saving some other files in 59 and then re-opening them.

Cheers PR

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Some quick feedback from my session last night... I will delve into some of the issues when I get some time.

First off, overall the tool is faster and more stable and working better. Huzzah!

Now to a few hiccups we encountered.
  • Initiative Panel: Lock Movement -- This setting did nothing. My players could move themselves with or without this checked.
  • Initiative Panel: chat messages -- When a visible NPC receives initiative, that fact is no longer sent to chat. Previously only hidden NPCs would be filtered from chat.
  • Vision: Sometimes my players were able to click on other player's tokens (which they did not have access rights too) and would see the vision of that other token. Other times this did not work. It may have been related to what I (the GM) had clicked on at the time (I will do some testing and see if I can repeat this).
  • At one point late in the session, my arrow keys stopped being able to move tokens on the object layer. I can't seem to repeat that right now... so this might have been user error.
  • Preferences: Autosave Chatlog Filename -- The name entered is not preserved for the campaign, and when populated no auto-saving is occurring.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

lmarkus001 wrote:[*] Initiative Panel: chat messages -- When a visible NPC receives initiative, that fact is no longer sent to chat. Previously only hidden NPCs would be filtered from chat.
I always thought it only announced player's turns to the chat, never NPCs. Though, that may not have been the desired behavior and an option in init panel to turn them off altogether would probably be nice for those that use custom macros.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hawke wrote:
lmarkus001 wrote:[*] Initiative Panel: chat messages -- When a visible NPC receives initiative, that fact is no longer sent to chat. Previously only hidden NPCs would be filtered from chat.
I always thought it only announced player's turns to the chat, never NPCs. Though, that may not have been the desired behavior and an option in init panel to turn them off altogether would probably be nice for those that use custom macros.
Echoing this, I never saw any NPCs be announced - it only ever announced players for me.

Return to “Announcements”