Slow response time on RPTools.net

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Slow response time on RPTools.net

Post by Azhrei »

I received the following message from the support staff at HostGator regarding the performance problems we've been seeing:
Eric the Sys Admin wrote:I apologize for any inconveniences you may be experiencing. The server your site is on had a hard drive go bad and it's been replaced. Since we use RAID 10 arrays on our machines, the new drive needs to be rebuilt into the array and this can take some time. During this process, you may notice slow load times or script timeouts. Once the rebuild completes, you should no longer notice these issues. Some more information is included below.
So this is apparently something that we live with while the drive is brought up to date. I thought standalone RAID units usually supported an update-while-idle mode so that replaced drives are only updated when the controller isn't otherwise consuming all of the unit's bandwidth. But perhaps the unit is very busy or the drives are really slow or ...

Then a paragraph of canned response text describing what a RAID unit is. ;)
Our shared and reseller servers house data across multiple physical hard disks for speed and redundancy. The disks combined are called an array or logical device. When one of these physical disks fails, the server can still function because the data remains on other physical disks in the array as well. However, when a physical disk does fail, the array goes into a degraded mode so you will notice slower disk access times, etc. When we replace the failed physical disk, the data in the array needs to be rebuilt back on to the new physical disk to get the array back in an optimal functioning mode. This rebuild process is what takes time and disk access times are much slower than normal during this operation.

Notsonoble
Dragon

Re: Slow response time on RPTools.net

Post by Notsonoble »

Azhrei wrote: So this is apparently something that we live with while the drive is brought up to date. I thought standalone RAID units usually supported an update-while-idle mode so that replaced drives are only updated when the controller isn't otherwise consuming all of the unit's bandwidth. But perhaps the unit is very busy or the drives are really slow or ...
The good ones do, some of your setups at the hospital can, but some of the older (and cheaper) ones can't...

HG isn't really all that better a choice than the previous location trevor had us on hardware wise... effort wise they're at least trying harder...
My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
Notsonoble's Samsung Galaxy S

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Slow response time on RPTools.net

Post by Azhrei »

Notsonoble wrote:The good ones do, some of your setups at the hospital can, but some of the older (and cheaper) ones can't...
I'm a cheap bastard at heart and it shows in my choice of hardware: least expensive drives, cheap mice, cheap keyboards, etc. But on things that I consider to have critical performance or reliability concerns I generally don't skimp (too much). I buy RAM from Crucial because they're stuff just works and I don't have to worry about returns. Same thing for NewEgg. For most things I'm willing to spin the wheel at PriceWatch.com and take my chances. (Been using them since about 2002.)

HG is certainly a better price than my hosting provider (1and1.com) and yes, they do seem to be trying. I like their cPanel interface compared to what I have with 1&1, which is an older and clunkier interface and not pleasant to use.

But I spend more with 1&1 than is spent on HG.

Oh well. Things seem to be moving along pretty well right now (knock on wood) so let's hope they stay that way...

Return to “Announcements”