MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 72 / 73

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: MapTool 1.3 Bugfix Build 72 / 73

Post by CoveredInFish »

Azhrei wrote:Btw, does anyone use those links?
I do. Sometimes its useful to find some detailled infos about it ... mostly if its about new macro commands.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

CoveredInFish wrote:
Azhrei wrote:Btw, does anyone use those links?
I do. Sometimes its useful to find some detailled infos about it ... mostly if its about new macro commands.
Me too.
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:So there are a LOT of bug fixes and a few new features (like the scrolling typing notifier in the upper left corner). Very slick. :)
for myself and Rumble, THANKS! I am quite proud of my little contribution there, but Rumble did most of the heavy lifting work. I just added some nice decoration to it.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:To be honest, we're about done with 1.3. We've taken 1.3 about as far as we can go. We really need to stop patching this version and do some ground-up design on the next version.
NOO.... oh.. wait.. yeah.... From my perspective, I am willing to keep fixing things(and very small enhancements) in 1.3 until the point where we actually start coding 1.4. I would like to get my Owner only token visibility in there and perhaps the onTokenMoveComplete() functions(though this is not as important IMO and I think I need to go back and relook at how I coded it to make it deal with FOW not exposing.)

My guess is that in order to do OSGi stuff, we will want to start with a fresh branch and add functionality via the bundles as time goes on by grabbing a package or group of classes from the 1.3 source repo.

This also brings up a bug fix I noticed a year or so ago and just never got around to fixing and I don't think Trevor did either. From what I remember, it was a non English user (IRCC French) who modified the Vision settings and removed "Normal". Then when dropping a saved token with a vision type that does not exist, the code tried to grab the hard coded "Normal" vision type and this threw an NPE. Anyway, I believe your fixes for the Vision distances inadvertently fixed this issue. Yah!
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

It sounds like B73 is really the build to have! I want to thank all of you for joining together and taking the lead with the Maptool builds! Thank you and great job!
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Azhrei wrote: To be honest, we're about done with 1.3. We've taken 1.3 about as far as we can go. We really need to stop patching this version and do some ground-up design on the next version. I'm happy with 1.3b66 as the Release version and later ones being merely bug fixes, although I'd like to get the localization thing fixed for patoace and Natha and our other non-English users.
Meaning that you think it would be possible to handle accents in string variables / macro / calculus ... ? :shock:
That would be great :!:
When I do, I'm sure they'll want that version bumped into the "Release" spot. :roll:
Yup.

But I would'nt like to be part of a problem that would delay the development start of 1.4 :?
(if, in the worst case scenario, it takes months to solve the problem in 1.3)
ImageImageImageImage

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Bugfix Build 73 and two questions

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

Wow! Thanks Azhrei, Dorpond and all! This tool is so awesome... now, since most of my players are Germans, they do use Umlauts like ä, ö and ü a lot... does b73 handle them now? Currently (I still use b68) when a token has an Umlaut in its Label, it will display the Umlaut as garbage on the client side and vice versa. Looks to me as if you don't do UTF-8 properly, or at least some international string conversion is amiss. So that would be my first question.
My second question is: My campaign is saved in .b68. Will I be able to safely import it into .b73? If not, how can I?
And finally, again: Thanks for all the hard work. I know from experience how hard and back-breaking all the debugging on large feature-laden projects can get, so: Four Shiva thumbs up!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now using Dolby Axon for RPG sessions.
(Forget Skype. Put your players into a 3D sound environment.)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Bugfix Build 73 and two questions

Post by jfrazierjr »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:My second question is: My campaign is saved in .b68. Will I be able to safely import it into .b73? If not, how can I?
Most likely, however as always when ANY new dev version is released, you should make a COPY of your campaign file and only open/save in the new copy(and reopen so that you know the reopening will show everything correctly and then have a few quick test sessions with either a remote client over the internet of another computer within your network.

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Re: Bugfix Build 73 and two questions

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

jfrazierjr wrote:Most likely, however as always when ANY new dev version is released, you should make a COPY of your campaign file and only open/save in the new copy(and reopen so that you know the reopening will show everything correctly and then have a few quick test sessions with either a remote client over the internet of another computer within your network.
Thanks! Yes, of course that would be the wise thing to do. I had earmarked that already as my default strategy for doing anything on a new client.
Does it suffice to just copy the .cmpgn file, or should I copy my _entire_ folder (i.e. allmy files)? I presume that would not be necessary? The .cmpgn file contains everything... right?
Now using Dolby Axon for RPG sessions.
(Forget Skype. Put your players into a 3D sound environment.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

wolph42 wrote:that would work, its just to prevent new peeps (and semi-veteran peeps, like me, with a memory similar to that of a swiss 'hole' cheese) who wish to upgrade an old campaign don't walk into these pits.
Okay, I've renamed the recent ones that are badly broken with _broken on their names. They're still there in case people need them for some reason...

@Natha: Yes, the goal is to get localization working this week. I have another couple of days off before I get back to the grind so it's the top thing on my priority list. :)

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Azhrei wrote: @Natha: Yes, the goal is to get localization working this week. I have another couple of days off before I get back to the grind so it's the top thing on my priority list. :)
Oh man ... if you succeed, you have got to PM me your street adress so that my players and I can send you a thank you gift
(okay, it'll probably be an ultra stinky french cheese but ... ;) )
ImageImageImageImage

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, I have a new configuration for you (non-U.S.) guys to test. I didn't do a full build, so the instructions are going to require that you copy a couple of JAR files on top of the ones that already exist, meaning that you'll need to use the download-and-extract ZIP version.

I would recommend that you create a separate directory and unpack the ZIP file for 1.3.b73 there, then use that directory for these steps:
  1. Delete the maptool-1.3.b73.jar and lib/rplib-1.0.b121.jar that are in the extracted directory
  2. Visit my web site
  3. Click test/ in the directory listing
  4. Replace the original maptool-1.3.b73.jar with the one you download
  5. Replace the original lib/rplib-1.0.b121.jar with the one you download
You should now be able to execute MapTool in the extracted directory using your normal process (double-click on the BAT file, double-click on MapToolLauncher.exe, or something else).

Note that using these patched versions your existing macros will not import properly, but new ones that you create should be able to be saved and loaded correctly.

If this works for you, I will modify the code so that newly exported macros have a different version number embedded inside them and the load process will be able to (hopefully!) import both old and new macros transparently. But I wanted to find out first if this even the right path...

I tested it using the attached macro set and a single macro -- both seemed to work. Good luck and let me know how this turns out! We might have a b74 very soon! 8)
Attachments
test1.mtmacset
Macro set test
(733 Bytes) Downloaded 64 times

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

First, one more "Thank you for your effort" is in order.

Second, It works! As expected 1.3b74 messed my old macros, but it loads new macro files just ok.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

patoace wrote:First, one more "Thank you for your effort" is in order.

Second, It works! As expected 1.3b74 messed my old macros, but it loads new macro files just ok.
Excellent! I've already started work on the version number check. So b74 will automatically load old macros using the old technique while saving macros will use UTF-8. :)

I will need to check the other exported files as well: tables, tokens, and campaigns. Btw, if you would check this with other file types that would be great.

I expect that campaigns loaded using the new JAR files will have the wrong macro names and I don't think there's anything I can do about that. :( The code for loading a campaign loads the entire thing at once, so I can't change the way certain pieces are loaded (such as macros). However, you should be able to load a campaign under b73 and export the macros, then import them into b74 and b74 will load using its about-to-be-written legacy support.

Cool. :)

patoace
Dragon

Post by patoace »

Tested Tables, campaign properties, tokens and campaign files. All working as expected.

Return to “Announcements”