First of all, thanks Azhrei for the hard work put into this. I've been working on another project in RL and was glad to find that b88 has finally come out
Being away has made me unfamiliar with some of the more salient points of MT; which brings me to my suggestion: I think it's best to create a batch file/process that runs the registry entries backup prior to running the provided .reg file that wipes everything clean. That or put some warning/instruction somewhere I guess instead of just an innocuous looking file
As everyone can guess, I fell right into the trap and wiped all my Global macros from the registry
I made the added mistake of running b88 right after, thus losing all hope of key recovery
Sigh, that's what I get for not touching MT for 3 months and doing this at 3am in the morning
Those were a lot of convenience macros lost XD. I just might crawl into a ball back in bed and weep
Anyway, if anyone should make the same mistake I did and ran the registry entries wipe by mistake, here's what you can try to do if, and only if, you didn't run MT right after (though it won't hurt to try):
1. Don't reboot/shutdown. If you're the cautious type, backup your registry and/or create a system restore point.
2. Download yaru
, or some other utility that does the same thing. I use this since it's lightweight, has no dependencies and can parse registry hives for deleted entries
3. Opening the utility, you'll have to point out where you want it to look; in this case, you'll want to choose Open Software (local)
under the File menue as the MT macros are found there.
4. With any luck, the tool will be able to parse the hive and display deleted entries which you'll find at the bottom of the tree to the left of the screen. Steps to export these entries as .reg
files in order to re-inject them into the actual registry can be found online as I'm starting to nod off here
As you might guess, since the registry is a volatile thing, putting off the recovery will likely spell failure for any future recovery attempt.
5. In the event of failure, you can try opening the actual registry (e.g through Window's regedit) and exporting the part of the registry that held the MT data as a hive file and have the tool comb through that. I'm pretty sure though that if the 1st 4 steps failed to yield results, the odds for success are pretty slim at best.
I'm still happy about the new release. Though the code I lost was significant and likely to put me off coding with MT while I deal with the shock, it was my fault in the first place
I did notice that some of the bugs I submitted for a fix are still around, like radio buttons keeping focus instead of transferring it to the "Ok" button upon hitting the return key. Things look snappier though and I'll get to testing other stuff in the coming days to help out in the process
Thanks again for the hard work!