Corrupt DMG or Mac App wont install.

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Craig
Great Wyrm

Corrupt DMG or Mac App wont install.

Post by Craig »

Newer versions of Mac OS X (10.7+) include a security feature called GateKeeper that by default limits what can be installed on your Mac to thwart malware.

You may see any of the following dialogs when trying to open a MapTool app (for the first time after downloading) or the DMG.

You can continue with the install using the following method.

Click on System Preferences in the doc (or Apple Menu -> System Preferences)
Select Security and Privacy
Security.png
Security.png (98.38 KiB) Viewed 465591 times
In the General Tab change the "Allow apps downloaded from:" to Anywhere
FromAnywhere.png
FromAnywhere.png (102.24 KiB) Viewed 465591 times
Now you will be able to reopen the DMG and install the App, once you have done this remember to set the "Allow apps downloaded from" back to either of the other settings.
Once you have installed the app you will not need to do this every time you rerun it.

As we would not be able to get an Apple developer ID for RPTools due to Apples policies, this is unlikely to change any time soon :(

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Corrupt DMG or Mac App wont install.

Post by aliasmask »

Some similar shenanigans has to be done with the Quicklauch version in Windows as well. Using Configure Java under All Programs | Java you need to go to the security tab and add "http://download.rptools.net" as an exception. Then it gives you a warning before downloading and running. Without doing that, there is a warning and it doesn't give you the option to download. I'm thinking there is a security certificate that needs to be included. Perhaps Az knows more about this.

edit: Also, after installing with the .jnlp file it creates a shortcut that looks correct but it blocked saying it can't download from the above address. Just discovered that, so I haven't figured out why yet or how to work around it yet. Clicking the original .jnlp file still works though (which re-downloads everything).

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

On the Mac, I think you can Option-click, or Right-click, or Command-click (I forget which) to get the option to Open. Once opened, Gatekeeper should remember that you chose to open MapTool and allow future launchings.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

lmarkus001 wrote:On the Mac, I think you can Option-click, or Right-click, or Command-click (I forget which) to get the option to Open. Once opened, Gatekeeper should remember that you chose to open MapTool and allow future launchings.
There are several ways of doing it, another option is some times you will see when you open the security settings that it says it tried to open it and will give you with a button to run anyway. But both these methods don't always
work for every one for some odd reason (no idea if its OS version or related to type of app or what). Thats why I went with this one, its the slightly more complicated approach but it always works :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

This works but it doesn't run the launcher, it runs MT. :(

I have uploaded a new DMG that runs the launcher directly.

There is a button in the launcher labeled "Select MapTool .jar". You'll need to click that button the first time you run the launcher. After clicking it, select the dropdown list at the top of the dialog window and choose the MapTool .app. (The dialog will actually open the parent directory.) Find the MapTool .app and double-click it.

Now perform any other customization you want inside the launcher.
Screenshot of "Select MapTool .jar" dialog
Screenshot of "Select MapTool .jar" dialog
SelectMapToolJAR.png (96.99 KiB) Viewed 463936 times
The documentation for using the launcher is inside the .app; you'll need to right-click and choose Show Package Contents, then navigate to Contents/Resources to see it. There is the README (same as the one in the DMG) and also the HowToUseGuide.html for the launcher itself.

It would be nice for the launcher to have a button to bring up the help docs, but that means another build... It may or may not happen.

Enjoy!

blocked_writer
Kobold

Post by blocked_writer »

Hi,

In Sierra (Mac OS 10.12.x) the 'open apps from anywhere' option was removed from the Security and Privacy… General tab.

To restore it you need to run the following command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo spctl --master-disable
Once you do this, the 'damaged app' dialogue box will be replaced with the 'Are you sure…?' one, allowing Maptools to run.

Here's the web page describing the fix in full.

- Richard

tarrybrad
Kobold

Post by tarrybrad »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 am
Some similar shenanigans has to be done with the Quicklauch version in Windows as well. Using Configure Java under All Programs | Java you need to go to the security tab and add "http://download.rptools.net" as an exception. Then it gives you a warning before downloading and running. Without doing that, there is a warning and it doesn't give you the option to download. I'm thinking there is a security certificate that needs to be included. Perhaps Az knows more about this.

edit: Also, after installing with the .jnlp file it creates a shortcut that looks correct but it blocked saying it can't download from the above address. Just discovered that, so I haven't figured out why yet or how to work around it yet. Clicking the original .jnlp file still works though (which re-downloads everything).
Hi Aliasmask, Sorry for posting off topic here unfortunately it is necessary for me to know. I started a thread which is still not appear on forum Please me to know Thanks....

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

tarrybrad wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:14 am
aliasmask wrote:
Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:17 am

Hi Aliasmask, Sorry for posting off topic here unfortunately it is necessary for me to know. I started a thread which is still not appear on forum Please me to know Thanks....
Your first couple of posts need to be detailed and not sound like a bot. I noticed your IP is from overseas which is another red flag for bot posts. Your other post may have been deleted based on detail, context or topic. You may want to repost your question or go to our Discord to find your answer.

Return to “Announcements”