Upgrade complete (?)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade complete (?)

Post by Azhrei »

These spoiler tests all seem to work. The code I used to produce them is below the spoilers themselves. If they don't work for your style, please let me know. So far, they work in Preview mode when testing, but I haven't checked every style yet.
Spoiler
No title field
Title field 1
Title field without any quotes
Title field 2
Title field with double quotes
Title field 3
Title field with single quotes

Code: Select all

[spoiler]No title field[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Title field 1]Title field without any quotes[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Title field 2"]Title field with double quotes[/spoiler]
[spoiler='Title field 3']Title field with single quotes[/spoiler]
Alright, looks like it should be good, even in the black and subsilver2 styles. I think we're done.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Looks good for me under prosilver special edition.

Thanks for all the effort on getting this upgrade working.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Yep, things look good in subsilver2 as far as the logo and spoiler tags go. I like the new spoiler look. Thanks.

Still not crazy about having the style switcher on the screen twice, centrally located, since it's not a function I ever use (and I doubt anyone would use often)... but it will eventually just become ignored noise.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, I forgot about it appearing twice in subsilver2. That should be an easy fix — just comment out the HTML in the template. I'll get that tonight.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

When you're really bored, and have nothing better to do than fight with templates, here's my complaint (which is a very minor annoyance):

At the top of the page is the series of links: Home ‹Board index ‹General ‹Announcements

Home didn't used to be there, so when I'm brain dead and not paying attention, I end up going to the RPTools home page instead of the index.

The bottom is the same, except there's only a link to Home and Board Index.

(Really not a big deal, but I'm old and feeble minded, and motor memory is often the only memory I have left.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So what would you change? Remove the Home link (and let people use the RPTools image at the top of the page) or make the Home link point to the top of the forum or something else? Inquiring minds want to know... (Oh, and which style are you using?)

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm
So what would you change? Remove the Home link (and let people use the RPTools image at the top of the page) or make the Home link point to the top of the forum or something else? Inquiring minds want to know... (Oh, and which style are you using?)
prosilver style (the default).

I'm not sure I'm even advocating a change, but the way it was before (at least, as I remember it) was that the Home link wasn't there, and the series of links was the same top and bottom, with the complete list. Without the complete list of links at the bottom, I have to go back to the top of the page to go directly back to the subforum (when there's multiple new posts). A very minor annoyance, due to my being very, very lazy. I just thought I'd mention it was different, in case you're really, really bored.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

We'll, I'm not so bored as to want to make work for myself. :)

But we did just do an upgrade and I want things to be similar so it's not so jarring. I'll look into this, but no promises...

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Well, if it turns out to be too big a deal, it may take years of therapy, but I'll get over it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

So...

The phpBB software has switched to an "event-driven" model for creating the HTML sent to your browser. Events can be triggered by comments that appear in the style templates. The prosilver template triggers an event called "overall_header_searchbox_before" that causes some piece of code somewhere (I haven't figured out where yet) to insert the breadcrumbs for the header at the top of the page.

However, the bottom of the page does not trigger this event, so the breadcrumbs are not installed -- you get just the Home link and the Board Index link.

I'll see if I can compare subsilver2 and prosilver to isolate what changes subsilver2 has that cause the entire breadcrumb list to appear in the bottom as well as the top. It looks like I just need to include an HTML comment that triggers the loading of a 'breadcrumbs.html' file, but prosilver doesn't have such a file, so...

Edit: Yeah, I don't see how prosilver is adding the truncated breadcrumbs at the bottom, so I don't know where to make the change. If I just include the HTML to trigger the 'breadcrumbs.html' to load, then it appears twice. Looking at the source code in the browser debug window doesn't help, because none of the HTML event triggering comments are in the DOM. If I get bored, I'll come back to this. ;)

Edit^2: The breadcrumbs are where the second style-quick-changer is being added to subsilver2, which means I'm not going to be removing it -- if I do, it gets removed from the header as well. I haven't studied this new event system in phpBB3 at all, so I'm familiar with where to hook in to make these kinds of changes. I'll scan the phpBB forums for posts related to the style changer and subsilver2 and see if anyone has already made the change. (Some quick surfing on phpbb.com shows that subsilver2 was deprecated in 3.0 and meant to be removed in 3.1, but was kept at the last minute. The idea was to kill it in 3.2. Well, we're in 3.2 now and it's not gone yet, but support for it is waning. Apparently.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:15 pm
Edit^2: The breadcrumbs are where the second style-quick-changer is being added to subsilver2, which means I'm not going to be removing it -- if I do, it gets removed from the header as well. I haven't studied this new event system in phpBB3 at all, so I'm familiar with where to hook in to make these kinds of changes. I'll scan the phpBB forums for posts related to the style changer and subsilver2 and see if anyone has already made the change. (Some quick surfing on phpbb.com shows that subsilver2 was deprecated in 3.0 and meant to be removed in 3.1, but was kept at the last minute. The idea was to kill it in 3.2. Well, we're in 3.2 now and it's not gone yet, but support for it is waning. Apparently.)
Not a big problem... I'm not married to the style. I'll switch to the Black style. It's full width and still has the left justified poster header. I will miss the easily accessed "Unread posts | New posts | Your posts" that subsilver2 has though (seems like it's in the Quick Links section of most styles... so it's an extra step to get to them.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

If you visit the phpBB.com web site and see a particular style from the gallery that Hollie, let me know. I'm not adverse to adding one or two more. I wanted some fixed-width styles, some light and some dark, some with avatars on the left and some with the avatars on the right, and so on. We got a pretty good variety with what's currently installed and all but one are based on prosilver which means extensions are a little more compatible...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Any chance we could get this extension added?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm. That would be an option, but it has an outstanding bug report that makes me a little nervous if I have to fix something for a user.

I've subscribed to that issue and if/when there's any movement on it, I'll look at this extension again. In concept, this looks pretty reasonable, although I didn't check which board themes it supports.

(phpBB 3.2 (and earlier) have made some huge strides in making installation of extensions simpler. It used to be that they were distributed as patches to the phpBB base code. Now the base code broadcasts "events" and the extension code can subscribe to those events, tweaking how phpBB processes posts or generates the HTML going back to the browser. It's much more effective and less intrusive, so when there's a phpBB upgrade, such as from 3.2 to 3.3, it should be much less work. I know, "famous last words." But maybe we'll get lucky. ;))

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 pm
In concept, this looks pretty reasonable, although I didn't check which board themes it supports.
On their github it says:
Tested on:

prosilver
we_clearblue (only non-cdb verion),
proflat
pbWow3
ComBoot (as of 2.2.7, only non-cdb verion)

Return to “Announcements”