Upgrade complete (?)

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Upgrade complete (?)

Post by aliasmask »

Spoiler used alone works but you can't use the =New Name option and it breaks the spoiler if you try.
Spoiler
Normal
Spoiler
This Breaks (edit, well in the original posts it breaks. I suspect it's just filtered out with new posts.)
Spoiler
This ignores text in quotes.

Code: Select all

[spoiler]Normal[/spoiler]

[spoiler=||| CODE |||]This Breaks (edit, well in the original posts it breaks. I suspect it's just filtered out with new posts.)[/spoiler]

[spoiler="New Name"]This ignores text in quotes.[/spoiler]

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yeah, the equals sign appears to be invalid in the v3.2 software. When I tried to update it using the admin interface, it denied the change saying that the syntax was illegal and then removed it from the custom BBcode list?! Nothing I could do about it at that point.

I wonder what happens when an old post containing one is displayed? It's probably treated as illegal syntax and the BBcode is just displayed literally without any hiding of the enclosed text.

I don't see why it's illegal; the built in QUOTE BBcode still uses the equals sign...

Argh, just noticed that I haven't updated the logo either! I'll try to get to that tonight...

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I found this reference (https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2402856) for an extension that fixes it.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Cool, I didn't see that one. I did search for spoiler extensions though, and I found three (IIRC), and I didn't like any of them. I looked at how they were implemented and they each had problems. However, I'll grab the code for this one and take a look. The fact that it allows the equals sign is nice. The students have enough hands-on exercises tomorrow that I should be able to get the logo fixed and possibly install the spoiler extension...

Thanks. :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:03 pm
... I should be able to get the logo fixed ...
It's also currently linking to the forum... it previously linked to the rptool.net main page. That or the Wiki page is probably more useful.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Full Bleed wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 am
It's also currently linking to the forum... it previously linked to the rptool.net main page. That or the Wiki page is probably more useful.
Looks like you fixed the link... but still seeing the phpbb logo with subsilver2.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Yes, the link is done directly in the admin panel. That was easy.

The logo is part of the theme and each theme is separate. AM found an extenssion that can automatically correct _many_ of the third-party themes, but isn't guaranteed to do all of them. Attempting to install the extension exposed some other issues left over from the upgrade. (The database conversion got borked during the upgrade. I had restored the database and run the upgrade again, just for grins. It died in the same place. Surprising, huh? :? A thread on the phpBB forum gave some possible solutions but I haven't had the time to try them yet; they're a little involved. I was hoping to do it this weekend, but no luck. I'll get to them tomorrow after work...)

Then, I'll try the extension again and we'll see if it can do the styles I've installed; I'll do any others "manually". Since the logo being messed up doesn't hurt the functionality of the board, it's been lower priority than the database cleanup...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Az, you have to update each theme? Is there no global theme settings it defaults to? I know for SMS I could set global defaults but haven't used phpbb. Would just seem you could at least specify a logo default?
-Jamz

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

All of the styles (as they're called in phpBB, but I have been using the word themes; whatever) can be based on another existing style. All of the ones we have are based on prosilver except for one. The idea is that common parts of the styles can be "inherited" so that changing one style can affect others.

However, the position of the logo is unique to each style so for the styles I checked, the logo is not a shared component. (That makes sense, given that each style is going to have its own sizing guidelines for images included on the style, along with placement in regards to other elements on the page. Trying to abstract that into a common CSS would be a huge pain and the CSS would likely change when a new style was derived from prosilver in the future. So it's easier in the long term to not try to share that component of the page. The "site logo" extension that AM found tries to intelligently update existing styles by parsing the HTML and looking for image elements that are probably the logo, then changing the URL of the image. Personally, I think this is stupid. The URL of the image should be something that can be controlled on the admin panel. Stupid, IMO. Especially since the URL for the link that the image represents *IS* a setting field on the admin panel. Sigh.)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:06 pm
The "site logo" extension that AM found...
The extension I found was for the spoiler tag to allow for an alt title to fix all the current spoilers ;).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Ah, right. The site logo extension was one I found. My bad. :)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Okay, that fixed the database. The other extensions that wouldn't enable properly are now enabled and seem to be working. I noticed that the "style" quick-change extension mod shows up in the upper right corner of my page (it allows quickly trying out different styles). I'll back out my spoiler stuff and install the extension AM found instead.

I need to review the docs for the Site Logo extension and others. I'll get that done tomorrow and finish some site updates tomorrow night. I don't think I'll need to take the board offline since there won't be any database changes.

Hopefully the rest of the remaining issues will be cleared up in the next 24 hours. Stay tuned...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm
I noticed that the "style" quick-change extension mod shows up in the upper right corner of my page (it allows quickly trying out different styles).
In subsilver2 the selection box shows up both in the header and footer navigation bar. And, worse, is centrally located at the top. I don't think it's a feature that warrants a prime location. I think it should be relegated to somewhere more out of the way... like in the bottom right hand corner next to or below the "Jump to" selection box.

I was going to attach a screenshot, but figure that there is no reason to since people can switch styles so easily and see for themselves. ;)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Subsilver2 is the only style installed that isn't based on prosilver. I also noticed it doesn't handle AM's <code> block at the top of page 2 in this thread very well — the block extends outside the normal post width. In SE Square Left, the code block is constrained to stay within the post/page width...

When I'm back in there tonight, I'll look to see how subsilver2 does it's layout. (I also didn't like that the drop down wasn't flush to the right of the page.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I've got the logo updated now. It works on all of the styles currently installed, but I had to manually tweak the CSS for the subsilver2 style and, hopefully, that doesn't screw it up in browsers other than the ones I've tested. However, if the logo doesn't show up correctly (or at all!), let me know which style you're using and the platform (because there's some support for responsive design techniques).

I still need to do the spoiler extension that AM found, so I'll do that next... Hopefully, there will be another post here shortly when that has been installed. :roll:

Return to “Announcements”