Announcement: MapTool 1.5.1 Released

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

RPTroll
TheBard

Announcement: MapTool 1.5.1 Released

Post by RPTroll »

The RPTools Staff and Community are proud to announce the release of MapTool 1.5.1. This release contains bug fixes as well as some new functionality that didn’t make it into 1.5.0.

See the announcement post for the changelog and new feature description.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Announcement: MapTool 1.5.1 Released

Post by Full Bleed »

First, welcome and thanks to naciron for wading in and contributing!

Second, I still can't use the EXE install with Win10(64).

Since 1.5.0 I have tired removing Java 8 and cleaning my registry... and still get the same error JVM.

After manually installing Java 10 I can run it by using the Jar file (accepting security exception.) But I'm not sure what the default memory config is for that. Under gather debug it says:
Max mem avail..: 4,084M
Max mem used...: 322,961,408M
:shock:

I don't see what default stack it's using.

When I try to use a bat file like I use with 1.4 the command window flashes up, but the application does not launch:
set STACK=5M
set MAXMEM=4096M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.5.1

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=c:\Maptool\Data\MT15 -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
It does create *some* of the data structure for the custom data directory: A "client-id" file and a "logs" subdirectory with "log.txt" file in it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

And if you remove the word "start" it will execute in the same window (instead of flashing a new one). That might provide more information.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:02 pm
And if you remove the word "start" it will execute in the same window (instead of flashing a new one). That might provide more information.
The command window flashes even more quickly... super fast... like it's doing less.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bocotainin
Kobold

Post by bocotainin »

Is naming drawings actually showing up as named for different clients and persisting through server connections?
On mine running this, it seems to set with right clicking the draw explorer and setting the name, but nobody else sees it and it's gone if you disconnect and reconnect. Even tried making a new drawing after update.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:53 pm
The command window flashes even more quickly... super fast... like it's doing less.
Hm.

You've used the command line approach before — did backslashes work in the past? I generally recommend forward slashes ("/"), but if backslashes have worked before, they should work now.

Without an error message, I'm out of ideas. Again. Sigh.

Wait a minute. Your command line is wrong. There should not be a MapTool in double quotes at the beginning of that line. The command line should start with javaw.exe. Remove the extraneous MapTool and try again, with or without the "start" at the beginning (but I'd go with "without", so if it does error out, you can see it).

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Azhrei wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 pm
Hm.

You've used the command line approach before — did backslashes work in the past? I generally recommend forward slashes ("/"), but if backslashes have worked before, they should work now.

Without an error message, I'm out of ideas. Again. Sigh.

Wait a minute. Your command line is wrong. There should not be a MapTool in double quotes at the beginning of that line. The command line should start with javaw.exe. Remove the extraneous MapTool and try again, with or without the "start" at the beginning (but I'd go with "without", so if it does error out, you can see it).
Turns out none of that is the issue (with trying to use the bat file.)

When manually installing Java 10.0.2 (x64) it actually installs a 32 bit version, too... and it adds a Windows Environmental Variable path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath
I had to delete that and manually add the correct path to the 64 bit files:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre-10.0.2\bin
After doing that, the bat works fine.

I still could not get the MT exe with the packaged Java to work no matter what I did... but I'm fairly certain that its got something to do with the pathing to the included java as well.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Wow, sounds like a perfect storm. It installs the 32-bit version, too? Strange.

Glad you got it figured out. You could also have used he OpenJDK, I believe. Maybe it would've been better, maybe not. :roll:

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:18 am
I still could not get the MT exe with the packaged Java to work no matter what I did... but I'm fairly certain that its got something to do with the pathing to the included java as well.
And a little update on this... I did finally get the exe file to work (no bat file)... but only after manually installing 10.0.2 (x64) and correcting the Environmental Variables as mentioned above.

Inside MT I see this in my gather debug info:
==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\MapTool\runtime
Java Version: 10.0.1
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)
In order to work it's not actually using the runtime from the encapsulated package (which is using 10.0.1)... it's using the runtime from 10.0.2 (which is the version I've manually installed.)

If I uninstall Java 10.0.2 it fails out again.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

The Oracle page for changes in 10.0.2 doesn’t mention anything that sounds related to the crash you’re seeing in 10.0.1 (this page links to a bug fix page and nothing there looks pertinent either). https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java ... 77557.html

There must be some difference, though. I’m pretty sure the Windows exe is built with 10.0.2 so I don’t know why you were getting 10.0.1. Something to look into...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 am
Wow, sounds like a perfect storm. It installs the 32-bit version, too? Strange.
The JRE installs both 32-bit and 64-bit as some folks are still using 32-bit browsers on their 64-bit systems.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Azhrei wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am
There must be some difference, though. I’m pretty sure the Windows exe is built with 10.0.2 so I don’t know why you were getting 10.0.1. Something to look into...
Shows as 10.0.1 with the installed MT here.

With 6 computers for our last session, every one of them installed 1.5.0 and ran without issue.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 am
Inside MT I see this in my gather debug info:
==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\MapTool\runtime
Java Version: 10.0.1
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.2+13, mixed mode)
In order to work it's not actually using the runtime from the encapsulated package (which is using 10.0.1)...
That's not what the debug output says. The part about Java 10.0.2 is from executing a "java -version" command as if it was from a command prompt. Above that is the Java Version that comes directly from the JVM MapTool is running from.
it's using the runtime from 10.0.2 (which is the version I've manually installed.)
Nope.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

@Fullbleed um what? So, the "install" doesn't even come with java.exe or javaw.exe but rather dll's which are/can only be used by MapTool.exe (which is a security thang) so nothing else on your system can technically run a java jar using what we package with MapTool.

Running java -version means nothing. You can run MapTool (installed) on a system with 0 external java installations.

Not sure what is going on with your system...
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, apologies, I see what is going on now...

We have a bug in our "Gather Debug information".

Please ignore the "Result of executing 'java -version': as that is a way for us to see what you use when using a jar version, and that executes a native java command using what you have installed for that information (but we are NOT using that to launch MapTool).

Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were running the java -version command yourself.
-Jamz

Return to “Announcements”