MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 2 Available

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Phergus
Deity

MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 2 Available

Post by Phergus »

MapTool Release 1.5.5 brings improvements to existing functionality, new capabilities, as well as new and improved macro functions.

Edit: A bug in PDF extraction was found and fixed. Poof! We're at RC.2 now. Links are updated.

Download here.

Highlights
  • New audio capabilities - MapTool now supports playing/managing audio streams at the local client through new macro functions. A volume slider and mute button have also been added to the toolbar.
  • New JSON path functionality - New macro functions for accessing deep into JSON objects with a single call.
  • Faster, better image pane in Resource Library - Performance and QoL changes improve quality of thumbnails and speed.
  • Better error messages for macro functions - function name now reported in error message about number of parameters.
  • Macro function getToken() was notoriously slow - expect to see significant speed improvements.
  • See the change log for more details
Many thanks to the MapTools community for their contributions of code and ideas.

Change Log for 1.5.5-rc.2
Last edited by Phergus on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 1 Available

Post by Full Bleed »

Thanks!

Can't wait to give this a spin. So much good stuff in it. :)

Note: When running 1.5.4 it's not offering the new version notice. And when you install 1.5.5 it displays a new version notice for download but refers to 1.5.4 as the new version to download.

Also, can I see an example of using playStream to stream a dropbox file? I uploaded an mp3 to dropbox, create a share link, and tried using it with playStream and nothing happened.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The only web streaming I did was with a URL that went directly to a filename. Haven't tried a dropbox link.

Here's a simple campaign file that plays some sound off the net.
Sounds - No Local.cmpgn
(15.43 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm
The only web streaming I did was with a URL that went directly to a filename. Haven't tried a dropbox link.
Ok, I found a solution. After creating the dropbox share link you have to replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com. That provides a direct link that playStream can use.

Here's a simple campaign file that plays some sound off the net.
Thanks. It helps having some examples.

I found that the sound slider really doesn't seem to work all that well. For me, the top 60-70% or so are all the same volume. Then there is a small section that actually seems to affect the volume... And at the bottom it kind of just snaps from 0 to about 5%... which actually sounds more like 20-30% of max. Is this an issue with the sound slider or how it interacts with window's sound volume settings?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:03 pm
Ok, I found a solution. After creating the dropbox share link you have to replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com. That provides a direct link that playStream can use.
Good info to have. Added to Wiki entry.
I found that the sound slider really doesn't seem to work all that well. For me, the top 60-70% or so are all the same volume. Then there is a small section that actually seems to affect the volume... And at the bottom it kind of just snaps from 0 to about 5%... which actually sounds more like 20-30% of max. Is this an issue with the sound slider or how it interacts with window's sound volume settings?
Not seeing that on my system. Works pretty smoothly and continuously for me. Might check your Volume Mixer control in Windows and see if your volume is set unusually low or high.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 2 Available

Post by Full Bleed »

The volume slider issue seems to be related to the AMD High Definition Audio Device Driver over HDMI. When using a headset with its own generic device driver the volume slider works fine (though I do still get a snap at the low end to the 5-10 range but at least the volume level is appropriate.) So, not an MT problem (in fact, the Win system slider seems to have the same lack of "range accuracy"... but the Volume slider in VLC seems to work fine on the same device driver.) May have to look into it more...

Also on the sound front, is there any way to use the token Speech tab to store playStream calls? Only thing I can get to work in there is text and some html. We currently use it for catch-phrases with some linking to youtube videos (that have to be clicked in the chat.) Might be nice to be able to use Speech as a place to trigger and store sounds as well as simple chat output.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:22 am
Also on the sound front, is there any way to use the token Speech tab to store playStream calls? Only thing I can get to work in there is text and some html. ... Might be nice to be able to use Speech as a place to trigger and store sounds as well as simple chat output.
Other than storing the stream info in the text and using a macro to check it for text output versus audio stream there isn't a way. I'm sure you've already considered that.

It would be nice to being to just assign sounds to a token through an updated Speech functionality.

TiranoJuan
Kobold

Post by TiranoJuan »

Thanks, it's amazing!

Two quetsions.

Can I play two audios at the same time?

For example... soundtrack in background and effect sounds?

And Can I use this new function with Syrinscape online, or is that an improvement in the future?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

TiranoJuan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Can I play two audios at the same time?

For example... soundtrack in background and effect sounds?
Yes, you can. If you grab that sample campaign you can click on any of the sound buttons and then use the green Get Stream Props button to get a dump of the status of each.
And Can I use this new function with Syrinscape online, or is that an improvement in the future?
No but there is some Syrinscape integration already. You have to enable it in Preferences but that's pretty much all I know about it. I don't know that there is a wiki page on it yet.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

TiranoJuan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:41 pm
I've never used it, but there is a setting in Preferences>Sounds>Turn on Syrinscape Integration.

And then I think you should be able to do this: https://forum.syrinscape.com/t/syrinsca ... ation/1634

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Also the sendURL and requestURL functions from Nerps fork are now Wiki: REST.post() and Wiki: REST.get().

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Here is a link to a Syrinscape forum post on using it with MapTool

How to use Online player with MapTool

TiranoJuan
Kobold

Post by TiranoJuan »

Thanks for the answers

I will be testing this in my campaign

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

Thanks for the update! I don't know where to write it, so I will do it here:

-When you right click and slide to move the screen view, it seems to run slow compared to the previous version, as if performance is not right.

Can anybody confirm this? is it just myself?

krevett
Cave Troll

Post by krevett »

wisewolf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:24 am
Thanks for the update! I don't know where to write it, so I will do it here:

-When you right click and slide to move the screen view, it seems to run slow compared to the previous version, as if performance is not right.

Can anybody confirm this? is it just myself?
I don't know if this is related but if I slide the map after some time I've got some weird display bugs that force me to exit and relaunch map tools. I'm back to 1.5.4 and no such problem.

Return to “Announcements”