MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 2 Available

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool 1.5.5 Release Candidate 2 Available

Post by wisewolf »

The difference is really bigger, much much bigger. Just the video can't film the difference :roll:

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

In fact I feel like 120 Hz down to 10 Hz.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think it may be something about your system otherwise more people would be complaining about it. Is this happening with your framework or with any map. Try starting a new campaign, put a big map on the background and see if you get the same drop.

Under preferences try playing with the Advanced Options under the Start Up tab. Disable Direct3d OR Enable OpenGL. Maxmem should be something like 4096M and stack of 4M.

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

As soon as I create a new campaign, with the default grass background, it behaves exactly the same. So it is related to this version, and not the size of the map nor the size of the campaign.

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

aliasmask wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:23 am
I think it may be something about your system otherwise more people would be complaining about it. Is this happening with your framework or with any map. Try starting a new campaign, put a big map on the background and see if you get the same drop.

Under preferences try playing with the Advanced Options under the Start Up tab. Disable Direct3d OR Enable OpenGL. Maxmem should be something like 4096M and stack of 4M.
I have played with those preferences but no improvement. I suppose I will stick with the previous version. I just hope future versions don't have this problem or my campaign will be obsolete soon.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Okay. I can reproduce it on 1.5.5 (and 1.5.6). I needed multiple largish images and or a largish map image (3300x2550).

Now to figure out what the heck changed.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 pm
Okay. I can reproduce it on 1.5.5 (and 1.5.6). I needed multiple largish images and or a largish map image (3300x2550).
FYI, I have a 9500x7000 map with 142 small graphic assets on it... and I don't see the issue.
Maybe this?

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/pull/611
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 pm
Phergus wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 pm
FYI, I have a 9500x7000 map with 142 small graphic assets on it... and I don't see the issue.
Maybe this?

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/pull/611
Yeah, I think that's the problem too.

The framerate got capped at 30fps. I suggest we either make the fps a user setting, or we increase it to 60fps or more.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:21 pm

The framerate got capped at 30fps. I suggest we either make the fps a user setting, or we increase it to 60fps or more.
Wisewolf can probably test by temporarily setting his monitor Refresh rate to 60Hz and see if the issue gets a lot better. I'm betting that he's running a high Hz monitor...
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 am
Merudo wrote:

Wisewolf can probably test by temporarily setting his monitor Refresh rate to 60Hz and see if the issue gets a lot better. I'm betting that he's running a high Hz monitor...
Yes I am using a 120 Hz monitor. I will try this 60Hz limit an test it.

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

Full Bleed wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 am
Merudo wrote:

So I changed Hz to 60 and compared both 1.5.4 and 1.5.5. It is still the same, 1.5.5 feels really too much slow. Is there any way to change it?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wisewolf wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm
So I changed Hz to 60 and compared both 1.5.4 and 1.5.5. It is still the same, 1.5.5 feels really too much slow. Is there any way to change it?
They're on it for the next version: https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/issues/767

Here is some info on the combination of having a forced lower FPS than your refresh rate and what it can do. This focused on "tearing" but it can also make things stutter before getting to that.
If the frame rate your computer is producing is different (either higher or lower) that the refresh rate of your monitor, you may experience a glitch known as screen tearing, where information from two or more frames is shown in a single screen draw. It is important to note that screen tearing does no damage to a display or graphics card.

To prevent screen tearing, you can enable a feature called Vertical Synchronization, or VSync. This tells your GPU to synchronize its actions with the display, which forces it to render and send a new frame when the monitor is ready to redraw the screen. This does limit your framerate exactly to the refresh rate. For example, if your refresh rate is 60Hz, VSync will cap your framerate to 60 FPS. If your GPU is capable of producing higher frame rates than the VSync cap you can take advantage of its leftover capacity to increase the resolution, draw distance, or other graphics quality settings. If your graphics card can’t outpace the refresh rate of your display then enabling VSync won’t help much. You may be able to lock your GPU into a lower frame rate, like 30 FPS, that would match up with your monitor. Common display refresh rates include 120hz, 60hz and 30hz, and there are all divisible by 30 so you won’t get screen tearing, but you may get stutter, as each frame will be on the screen for a couple of cycles.
So what I think is happening on your system is that MT is now fixed at 30 FPS. Your monitor is set to 120Hz. So as you drag, it's sitting on a frame for 4 cycles creating a stutter.

It looks like they are raising the FPS redraw in MT, but I wonder if MT incorporated a Vsync feature if it would actually be the best fix. It seems like someone on a 144Hz monitor with a fixed 60 FPS in MT might still have issues (maybe tearing and not just stuttering since it's not divisible by 30.)

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

I really have a 144 Hz. :roll: sorry I said 120 but I was wrong (bad memory). But I feel the same at 144 and at 60 Hz. Or maybe there is also tearing but I can't see a difference.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

MT 1.5.7 includes a user prefs setting for this. RC.2 is available for download now.

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/rele ... 1.5.7-rc.2

Would be nice to get a couple more folks to test it before release.
FrameRateCap.png
FrameRateCap.png (62.2 KiB) Viewed 5066 times

wisewolf
Cave Troll

Post by wisewolf »

It seems to be working just fine. Thanks!

Return to “Announcements”