Announcement: MapTool 1.5.5 Released

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

Phergus
Deity

Announcement: MapTool 1.5.5 Released

Post by Phergus »

MapTool Release 1.5.5 brings improvements to existing functionality, new capabilities, as well as new and improved macro functions.

Download here.

Highlights
  • New audio capabilities - MapTool now supports playing/managing audio streams at the local client through new macro functions. A volume slider and mute button have also been added to the toolbar.
  • New JSON path functionality - New macro functions for accessing deep into JSON objects with a single call.
  • Faster, better image pane in Resource Library - Performance and QoL changes improve quality of thumbnails and speed.
  • Better error messages for macro functions - function name now reported in error message about number of parameters.
  • Macro function getToken() was notoriously slow - expect to see significant speed improvements.
  • See the change log for more details
Many thanks to the MapTool community for their contributions of code and ideas.

Change Log for 1.5.5
Last edited by Phergus on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bocotainin
Kobold

Re: Announcement: MapTool 1.5.5 Released

Post by bocotainin »

On my headless ubuntu install, 1.5.5 gets a npe on launch and doesn't finish opening. Same thing on my friends.

failed in constructor of tool net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

1.5.4 worked fine. 1.5.5 works on windows

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'm on Ubuntu as well. It would not launch until I rebooted.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

krevett
Cave Troll

Post by krevett »

Indeed thumbnail speed greatly increased for me, program loading time seems a bit faster too (my resource folder is huge about 30gb so it was taking about 30-40sec to load map tools, now only takes about 20sec). BTW did you change something for the tokens editing (it seems to be back to normal speed since the multiline property support was added)?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

So, as mentioned in the 1.5.5 RC, I wanted to thank all you guys that put so much into this release. It's great to see so this kind of development activity. :)

Onto some questions about these first sound functions...

Right now there is no sound manager or interface (beyond a mute and master volume slider) and while I've been thinking about ways to streamline the process and built my own custom UI I'm not sure I want to put that much time into it if there are "big plans" in the works.

What's the next step in the MT's foray into sound?

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb here, and explore an alternative to building in a whole lot of additional sound functionality in MT...

Have you guys (Merudo in particular) heard of Arkenforge Master's ToolKit?

I'm all-in with MapTool with regard to my framework and the guts of running my games online. But Master's ToolKit could fill in some gaps: More advanced map making (Cartographer Module), Campaign Data Management (Encyclopedia Module), and sound management (Soundscape Module).

They, currently, offer support in their Cartographer Module for map exports to be use in Roll20, D20 Pro, and Fantasy Grounds. That shows an openness to how they are positioning themselves to be a companion app for VTTs. So, I was wondering, would there be a way to merge some minds here and get their Soundscape Module to be compatible with MT's playStream functions? Basically, use their front end to feed sound data to MT to serve.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You should be able to interact with it IF they have an open API. They don't seem to have a Linux version.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

bocotainin wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 am
On my headless ubuntu install, 1.5.5 gets a npe on launch and doesn't finish opening. Same thing on my friends.

failed in constructor of tool net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

1.5.4 worked fine. 1.5.5 works on windows
Getting the same issue on OS X ... only I don't have the luxury of reverting back to 1.5.4 as it is no longer available for download. Rebooting and reinstalling did NOT resolve. Here is the trace for when I hit the executable in the package contents:
Last login: Fri Oct 4 08:30:22 on ttys000
Dave-Zuzartes-iMac:~ Dave$ /Users/Dave/Desktop/MapTool.app/Contents/MacOS/MapTool ; exit;
09:12:50.081 (MapTool.java:1521) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - ********************************************************************************
09:12:51.025 (MapTool.java:1522) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - ** **
09:12:51.027 (MapTool.java:1523) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - ** MapTool Started! **
09:12:51.027 (MapTool.java:1524) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - ** **
09:12:51.028 (MapTool.java:1525) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - ********************************************************************************
09:12:51.029 (MapTool.java:1526) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - AppHome System Property: /Users/Dave/.maptool-rptools/logs
09:12:51.030 (MapTool.java:1527) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - Logging to: /Users/Dave/.maptool-rptools/logs/maptool.log
09:12:51.031 (MapTool.java:1531) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - setting MapTool version from manifest: 1.5.5
09:12:51.031 (MapTool.java:1536) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - setting MapTool vendor from manifest: rptools
09:12:51.376 (MapTool.java:1586) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - overriding MapTool version from command line to: 1.5.5
09:12:51.377 (MapTool.java:1589) [main] INFO net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - MapTool vendor: rptools
TinyLaF v1.4.0
'Default.theme' not found - using YQ default theme.
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.OSXAdapter).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.Fields (file:/Users/Dave/Desktop/MapTool.app/Contents/Java/MapTool-1.5.5.jar) to field java.util.TreeMap.comparator
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.Fields
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
09:13:07.731 (MapTool.java:305) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool - Failed in constructor of tool: net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:488) ~[?:?]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.Toolbox.createTool(Toolbox.java:54) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.ToolbarPanel$OptionPanel.add(ToolbarPanel.java:462) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.ToolbarPanel.createPointerPanel(ToolbarPanel.java:260) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.ToolbarPanel.<init>(ToolbarPanel.java:83) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MapToolFrame.<init>(MapToolFrame.java:519) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.initialize(MapTool.java:710) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool.access$400(MapTool.java:125) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.MapTool$7.run(MapTool.java:1765) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715) [?:?]
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) ~[?:?]
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740) [?:?]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:43) [MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101) [?:?]
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90) [?:?]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.DefaultTool.<init>(DefaultTool.java:48) ~[MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.<init>(PointerTool.java:109) ~[MapTool-1.5.5.jar:1.5.5]
... 27 more
I am using OS X 10.11.6 but will install on my Windows machine in the interim. Like most iMac users I really don't want to use Windows and would appreciate any ideas otherwise I will go back to v1.5.1 which worked fine. Thanks in advance!
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

You can always go back to a previous release via the GitHub Releases page.

https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/releases

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Thanks very much for the speedy response, RPTroll! I guess I expected it to be available from https://www.rptools.net/2019/09/maptool-1-5-4-released/ but all 1.5.x announcements have 1.5.5 download links. I also tried the archived releases page but that only has up 1.4.1.8. I did try the various GitHub pages but none had download links. I even tried finding a "System Requirements" page in case my version of OS X is too old. My iMac is ancient and won't take the latest OS X. Very frustrating! :(

Anyway, 1.5.4 loads up fine. Unless there are violent objections, I will use this until (hopefully) 1.5.6 or later fixes the issue. Thanks again ...

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

GitHub has a lot of nice things like that. It's the reason we use it. I should actually put the release link on the downloads tab for MapTool and TokenTool.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

OK, new problem! :oops: As explained previously, 1.5.4 has been working fine ... until I tried setting the heap size to 2Gb. Yes, I have now discovered inclusion of the "b" proved fatal. Now when I try launching the icon bounces once in my dock and nothing happens (i.e. not in Force Quit list either). I once again tried this:
StarMan wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am
Here is the trace for when I hit the executable in the package contents
This happens in a terminal window:
Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx2Gb
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]
I have tried the following to no avail:
  • Un/reinstalling
  • Edited [JVMUserOptions] section of MapTool.cfg in the app package with "-Xmx=2G"
  • Following http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Uninstalling ... but the two ~/.maptool* folders do NOT get recreated in reinstall nor do maptool.* files in ~/Library/Preferences
  • Installed 1.5.7 thinking it would wipe out metadata from 1.5.4. Nope!
  • Running from folder in terminal using various switches (-reset, -? etc) which all get ignored:
iMac:MacOS Dave$ ./MapTool
Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx2Gb
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
iMac:MacOS Dave$ pwd
/Users/Dave/Desktop/MapTool.app/Contents/MacOS
No matter what I try, it is steadfastly hanging on to that "2Gb" value which I had hoped would be in one of the files I deleted. What's the deal? Is there some way to reset that setting? Yes, I know it will likely install fine if I do so under a different user but I consider that a last resort extreme solution.

P.S.: Many thanks to the powers that be for fixing my earlier issue via 1.5.6. My group (and presumably my framework user base) gets annoyed when I say "Let's move up to the new version." so I decided to stick with 1.5.4.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Thanks very much, Phergus! The "open" command did NOT work as it gave me "invalid argument" errors no matter what I tried. I forgot to mention I also tried deleting MapTool.cfg. The second suggestion did the trick as follows:
iMac:packager Dave$ pwd
/Users/Dave/Library/Application Support/net.rptools.maptool.client/packager
iMac:packager Dave$ ls
jvmuserargs.cfg
iMac:packager Dave$ cat jvmuserargs.cfg
[JVMUserOverrideOptions]
-Xmx=2Gb

Dave-Zuzartes-iMac:packager Dave$ vi jvmuserargs.cfg
Dave-Zuzartes-iMac:packager Dave$ cat jvmuserargs.cfg
[JVMUserOverrideOptions]
-Xmx=2G
Personally I think that file should get deleted during the uninstall but maybe that's more of an OS X thing than anything else. Maybe add that link to the Wiki article? Thanks again.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Glad you're up and running again.

Return to “Announcements”