Announcement: MapTool 1.5.6 Released

New build announcements plus site news and changes.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, Craig

RPTroll
TheBard

Announcement: MapTool 1.5.6 Released

Post by RPTroll »

MapTool 1.5.5 threw an NPE on Mac OS. This quick-fix corrects that problem. It is otherwise the same release as 1.5.5

You can download via the Announcement Post or from the GitHub Release Page.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Announcement: MapTool 1.5.6 Released

Post by Full Bleed »

1.5.5 didn't last long, but I had some questions about the new sound support in it that weren't really acknowledged... so I'll bring them up again:
Right now there is no sound manager or interface (beyond a mute and master volume slider) and while I've been thinking about ways to streamline the process and build my own custom UI I'm not sure I want to put that much time into it if there are "big plans" in the works.

What's the next step in MT's foray into sound?
I also mentioned how I thought that if MT could work with Arkenforge's Master's Toolkit Soundscape module it could be a win-win with regard to getting a good way to manage sound in MT. There wasn't much response to that possibility (or impossibility) so broach the subject with them and see if they want to look into whether or not it's possible.

But, lastly, I think there needs to be a new Function Subcategory on the wiki for the new Stream (Sound) functions. I suspect many don't read each change-log and this is a significant feature/capability of MT now.

playStream
stopStream
getStreamProperties
editStream
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Regarding graphics control options for sound: I believe those are coming but the developers wanted to run streaming through its paces via macro before jumping into the graphics. Streaming was the 'lowest hanging fruit' concerning sounds in MapTool so the developer tackled that first.

I like the idea of a sound subcategory on the wiki.

Regarding interfaces to another program: it's like most things in MT. A developer would need to be interested enough to pursue it and our backlog is vast so . . .
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:46 pm
But, lastly, I think there needs to be a new Function Subcategory on the wiki for the new Stream (Sound) functions.
There is: Category:Audio_Function

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RPTroll wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:15 am
Regarding interfaces to another program: it's like most things in MT. A developer would need to be interested enough to pursue it and our backlog is vast so . . .
Seems like that would be easier than building some comparable UI in MT.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

foxw
Kobold

Post by foxw »

While the entire change list looks freaking awsome, It appears I can't Run this new release as the Installer goes all the way through install AND only at final stage does it tell me it requires x64 OS.

I can totally get moving to a full 64bit, But if the releases now won't support 32bit os's that needs to be mentioned. well off to reinstall 1.4.1.8 as that is likely the last version that got a 32bit able release.

And no, upgrading machines is not an option. I'd need to upgrade several, my "design" laptop (64bit cpu, 32 bit os and NO vendor driver support for 64it os) as well as my two Virtual table rigs (1's an OLD VISTA machine built into a table literally, 2nd is another stripped down pc built into a box for travel when i run Adventurers league locally).

Basically, Will there be 32 bit support for the new versions, or like most cases these days, gone to the curb?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

@foxw - I'm afraid that the world has moved on from 32-bit. Current Java releases are 64-bit only and so MapTool is 64-bit only.

We had a note about the 1.5.* versions being 64-bit only but it apparently got lost in the shuffle somewhere. Apologies for that. We'll get that taken care of so as to avoid future confusion. Thank you for bringing it up and thank you for being a MapTool fan.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

When you use playStream does it always stream the sounds or are previously streamed sounds cached on clients so that future calls come from cache?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I noticed this:
cycleCount - The number of times the audio should play. If set to 0, the file is cached but not played; if set to -1, the file is played continuously. Defaults to 1.
So, I assume it's cached.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:00 pm
I noticed this:
cycleCount - The number of times the audio should play. If set to 0, the file is cached but not played; if set to -1, the file is played continuously. Defaults to 1.
So, I assume it's cached.
Ok.

So that leads me to another question... I suppose that the cycleCount of 0 option is there to precache sounds? Should this be used in onCampaignLoad? Would this explode memory usage on campaign load or just cache the sounds/music locally and only pull it into memory when actually played?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I have an issue with sound.

I was adding a step sound effect to my movement pad to trigger on each step and I noticed that the sound wasn't triggering each time. I played around with various things but I think there is a broader issue.

To test, place the sound effect I'm attaching to this post in a local directory and then just run this code clicking it after each sound triggers and finishes. You can even do a two count and it won't trigger some times.

Code: Select all

[h: playStream("file:/X:/Path/Step1.mp3")]
Note, you'll need to remove the .zip extension since the forums won't take mp3 attachments.
Attachments
Step1.mp3.zip
(3.42 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Same thing for me and an added issue. I put in the repeat value as 5 and it would play 2 or 3 times. I put in 10, then it played 5 and I put in 20 and it played 11 times. So, roughly 1/2 the value is being played.

I did it for a bigger sound file playing about 10 seconds worth and the repeat worked fine. It may have something to do with the shortness of the sound file. I even played only 1 second of the larger file on repeat and it worked fine.

Looking at the stream props the total time of sound byte is 0.648 seconds which could account for the repeat problem. Now that I think about it the repeat would only do it once a second.

Another thing and not sure if it matters, notice the values of the output and the quotes for numbers and an extra space:

Code: Select all

"uri": "file:///D:/Docs/Downloads/Step1.mp3",
        "cycleCount": 20,
        "volume": 1,
        "startTime": " 0.0",
        "stopTime": " 1.0",
        "currentTime": " 0.0",
        "totalTime": " 0.648",
        "bufferTime": " 0.648",
        "currentCount": " 0",
        "status": "STOPPED"

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

The repeat count issue is a known bug in the current JavaFX implementation that I believe has been fixed in later versions of JavaFX. This will be picked up when we can move forward with new Java versions.

All audio is cached in memory. It stays in memory unless you use stopStream(). This isn't really streaming. If you play a file off the net it will buffer the whole thing in memory.

The quotes shouldn't be around numeric values nor with the space.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Phergus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am
The repeat count issue is a known bug in the current JavaFX implementation that I believe has been fixed in later versions of JavaFX. This will be picked up when we can move forward with new Java versions.
Thanks for the info.

Is the issue we're seeing with sounds that are less than a second related to the repeat count bug?

And is there any roadmap of when we'll be seeing the newer JavaFX?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:32 am
Is the issue we're seeing with sounds that are less than a second related to the repeat count bug?
No idea. Haven't looked at it. Instead of playing a very short sound multiple times, you might try using (making) a longer clip and adjusting the duration.
Full Bleed wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:32 am
And is there any roadmap of when we'll be seeing the newer JavaFX?
No definite schedule on that. We are hoping to do that sooner rather than later.

Return to “Announcements”